Screen Protectors - Opinions and Recommendations

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
So I'm finally rocking my 32gb S4 as of this morning! :cool:
Great Stuff!

However. Not so great is the Moshi Screen Protector I bought. I had great experience with my matte one on my iPhone 4 that naturally I thought the crystal clear one would suit me well.
The screen protector does it's job but by all means, but the thing collects oil awfully. I think I'm gonna go see if I can return it because it is extremely unpleasant and distracting.

So with that I ask: What screen protectors do you guys use and love, and what would you recommend in place of this? I think the major thing is to have it deal with oil well.

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you expect out of your screen protector. It will also depend on what case(s) you want to use with your S4.

The Spigen Glas.tR looks to be pretty nice. I almost got it, but I didn't want to risk having hair or bubbles or anything under it... and I may want to switch cases around. As far as screen protectors go, it seems like it's the absolute best one if money isn't an issue and case compatibility doesn't conflict. Personally, I went with their ultra crystal screen protector, and I'm going to see how that is. Maybe in the future I'll get the Glas.tR. I've heard good things about their ultra crystal protector though.

I can't really say much about first-hand experience, and I can't compare other brands... I've only ever bought one screen protector before in my life, and that was for my iPad... I tried applying it, it didn't go on properly, it was a waste of $25... and I was really mad. My iPad hasn't scratched up at all in the time I've owned it, leaving me to wonder why I even wanted a screen protector in the first place :) That's sort of my thoughts about the phone too... if I get a screen protector, where's the protection for the camera lens which I care more about?

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you expect out of your screen protector. It will also depend on what case(s) you want to use with your S4.

The Spigen Glas.tR looks to be pretty nice. I almost got it, but I didn't want to risk having hair or bubbles or anything under it... and I may want to switch cases around. As far as screen protectors go, it seems like it's the absolute best one if money isn't an issue and case compatibility doesn't conflict. Personally, I went with their ultra crystal screen protector, and I'm going to see how that is. Maybe in the future I'll get the Glas.tR. I've heard good things about their ultra crystal protector though.

I can't really say much about first-hand experience, and I can't compare other brands... I've only ever bought one screen protector before in my life, and that was for my iPad... I tried applying it, it didn't go on properly, it was a waste of $25... and I was really mad. My iPad hasn't scratched up at all in the time I've owned it, leaving me to wonder why I even wanted a screen protector in the first place :) That's sort of my thoughts about the phone too... if I get a screen protector, where's the protection for the camera lens which I care more about?

I looked at the glass ones but the fact it actually has height to it would clash with most cases I'm interested in. I'm considering a Zagg shield, some of my family members have them on their iphone and their super clear, and resist oily buildup.

See I don't count my luck man. I'd rather put down a shield and not risk it more than anything. I remember there is a plastic covering on the lens of the S4, that can be removed. Perhaps just leave this on for your protection?

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell it's like a Zagg or Armorsuit shield?

Yeah it's like Zagg. It works well and easy application. I have one on my HTC One, front and back and my coworkers couldn't tell when they held it until I pointed it out to them. Just waiting on the one for the S4 to arrive now. I never spend more than a couple bucks for a screen protector and this gives me the best bang for the buck when comparied to screen protectors under $5.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And how is this as far as fingerprint smudging/buildup? The matte anti fingerprint ones apparently lower resolution a bunch. :/

The fingerprint buildup is no where near the old Zagg screen protectors before they had the "HD" ones now offered through them. If you get a Zagg, make sure it is the HD type.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's like Zagg. It works well and easy application. I have one on my HTC One, front and back and my coworkers couldn't tell when they held it until I pointed it out to them. Just waiting on the one for the S4 to arrive now. I never spend more than a couple bucks for a screen protector and this gives me the best bang for the buck when comparied to screen protectors under $5.

See if I want to exchange mine I'll have to pay a $5 delta regardless, I don't think they'll do a full refund.

The fingerprint buildup is no where near the old Zagg screen protectors before they had the "HD" ones now offered through them. If you get a Zagg, make sure it is the HD type.

Yeah, I believe the ones my AT&T store are the HD...In fact, I don't think the S4 has a non HD one.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the Spigen Glas-tR for Tuesday delivery. I have not used their Glas-t series before but have read great things and someone had posted images of a nice clean install on the forums so I am going for it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Xtreme Guard over the weekend and it's working pretty good. Very hard to see it's there, it's smooth and has done well against fingerprints and oil/greasy fingers. It does have a slight glare when the phone is turned about 45 degrees, but for 1.99 I am quite satisfied.

Daniel Mclean

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'm finally rocking my 32gb S4 as of this morning!
Great Stuff!

However. Not so great is the Moshi Screen Protector I bought. I had great experience with my matte one on my iPhone 4 that naturally I thought the crystal clear one would suit me well.
The screen protector does it's job but by all means, but the thing collects oil awfully. I think I'm gonna go see if I can return it because it is extremely unpleasant and distracting.

So with that I ask: What screen protectors do you guys use and love, and what would you recommend in place of this? I think the major thing is to have it deal with oil well.

I would recommend media devil, 2 protectors for 8 pounds, had them for my iphone 4s and now for my s4 and they hardly ever scratch, I got a tiny scratch and wrote a review on amazon about it and they are sending me 2 replacements! Heres a link to my review and product:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1T3...21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2779113#wasThisHelpful

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of Wet Screen Protectors. There was a 85% off sale on RFD, I didn't know it was and ordered two of each for S4 & One.

I used to buy Clarivue but found out about Nillkin Cases. For less than $10 it includes one.

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I rock cheap ebay screen protectors, ever since having a Zagg IS on my iPhone 4 back in the day and hated it and its orange peel effect !

Doesn't effect clarity, have great coverage and are a dime a dozen, like ?2 for 6.

8734139121_29290e8e94_c.jpg

After getting my recent Spigen case they sent me through a Steinheil screen protector with it, so I will try that out when the one I have on needs changed!

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I would advise against ishieldz... I bought one a day ago and the cloth was glued to the screen protector. .. this in turn made the screen rip when I attempted to remove it. Bought a second one and the same thing happened. Still no reply to my email to customer service.

freeway88

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
What about some other brands. Zagg is just too pricy. I have used a brand called eaglepro on amazon. good quality with affordable price.

Dwight Maynard

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site