Changing the default primary shortcuts on S4

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

There are many articles online (and posts on AC) explaining how to change the default tray icons on the S2 and S3. However, these methods do not work for the S4 as the tray icons do not appear when you open the app drawer in edit mode (even when viewing as Customizable Grid). So it is presumably done differently on the S4.

The S4 manual (page 42) says you can change them simply by touching and holding the shortcut until they become movable. However, this must be a misprint as anyone with an S4 knows that (unlike home screen icons) the tray icons cannot be moved in this way.

Does anyone know how to do it? Basically I just want to replace the Internet app on the tray with a browser I actually use, and move the App drawer icon to the middle (like on stock Android). Might play around and think about replacing Contacts as well.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to a support rep with Samsung. They said that the manual linked in this forum (in the locked thread) is obsolete. Apparently the S4 has had a firmware upgrade which removed the ability to change the primary shortcuts. So basically it is not possible to change them. :(

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to a support rep with Samsung. They said that the manual linked in this forum (in the locked thread) is obsolete. Apparently the S4 has had a firmware upgrade which removed the ability to change the primary shortcuts. So basically it is not possible to change them. :(

Try using a different launcher like Nova and get rid of using TouchWiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was able to change mine on my sprint gs4. First you have to remove a shortcut but holding down on it and then dragging it out. Then you can add a new one.

7u6ygeqa.jpg

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
That is what the manual says too, but yeah. That may be specific to the Sprint model of the phone, as different models may be running different versions of the firmware. On my S4 (unlocked, bought from Samsung in Australia) it is not possible to press/hold on the tray icons and drag them out - that is only possible with the regular icons. When you press and hold, nothing happens. In fact, if you enter Edit mode (by holding some other icon down) the whole row of tray icons completely vanishes until you leave Edit mode.

If what the Samsung rep told me is true, the ability to drag the icons was removed in whatever firmware version I have. He said there is no other way to change them either, and that unchangeable tray icons is the 'intended function' in this version of the firmware. That's pretty weird, as I don't know why they'd actually want to remove a useful feature (???). Looks like you lucked out on getting the good version!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a S4 on at&t, and had the same issue. Whatbi found out was this:

1. Tap and hold the icon that you want too remove.

2. Drag the icon to the desktop, that should leave the bar with 4 icons instead of 5.

3. Go to your app drawer (or a home screen) and tap and hold the icon you want to add. Drag the icon into the bar in the position you want it in, and release.

People said that the Note 2 lost this functionality as well after an update, but I have not seen it. My S4 is up to date and can still do this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the change was for the GT-I9505 model (which is what I have, compared to your SGH-1337). The GT-I9505 is the model that I purchased outright (factory unlocked) from Samsung in Australia. I am not sure if I got the GT-I9505 because of my location, or if the model number difference is a matter of it being factory-unlocked rather than a carrier-specific model.

Suffice to say, the manual that the rep linked me to for the GTI9505 refers to itself as the 'EU' manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201304/20130419163904610/GT-I9505_UM_EU_Jellybean_Eng_Rev.1.0_130412.pdf), so I'm guessing people in Europe will also have this model.

Note that, unlike the SGH-1337 manual (which mentions the ability to drag the tray icons on page 42), the GT-I9505 manual does not mention it anywhere. There are several other small differences between the models as well. This might be something for Australian(?)/European(?)/factory-unlocked buyers(?)/whoever gets the GT-I9505(?) to be aware of.

Hell, perhaps we can do some detective-work and try to determine exactly who gets which model, and then document the differences between the models. That way, people in different countries can get a clearer idea of the features their phone will have.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the change was for the GT-I9505 model (which is what I have, compared to your SGH-1337). The GT-I9505 is the model that I purchased outright (factory unlocked) from Samsung in Australia. I am not sure if I got the GT-I9505 because of my location, or if the model number difference is a matter of it being factory-unlocked rather than a carrier-specific model.

Suffice to say, the manual that the rep linked me to for the GTI9505 refers to itself as the 'EU' manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201304/20130419163904610/GT-I9505_UM_EU_Jellybean_Eng_Rev.1.0_130412.pdf), so I'm guessing people in Europe will also have this model.

I didn't think there was a difference.

I'm assuming you tried GMJeff's method? That works for me and I have the latest Sprint version.

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup, tried many times. :) That's the intuitive/obvious way I immediately tried to move them as soon as I got the phone - tap, hold and drag, just like regular icons in Android. Was pretty irked to find that didn't work. It's not just my phone either, other people I've asked (in Australia) can't seem to do it either. The icons are simply frozen and unmovable. You can't press/hold on them like you can with desktop icons. The Samsung rep I spoke to confirmed this, and he said this is the intended function of this model of the phone. If you check the GT-I9505 manual you'll notice that (unlike the SGH-1337) the instructions for moving the tray icons are conspicuously missing.

What's more, it's not only that they can't be moved in that manner - there is no alternate way to move them either. Everybody with the GT-I9505 model is stuck with the default icons unless they root their phone and find a solution that way.

It's not really any surprise to me, because we often get gimpy versions of devices here in Australia (models that are missing some of the features present in the North American models). To be honest, I'd have been pretty surprised if our model was the same as the NA version. But I'd be interested to find out who else gets this model too, as the manual seems to suggest it is the European model. That makes sense I guess, because Australia is usually designated as 'part of Europe' when it comes to hardware/software releases (something that always made me giggle). :D We share the same media region (for purposes of region-locked software) and usually receive the European versions of hardware too.

As I suggested in the previous post, this could actually be a useful project - determining exactly who gets which model of the S4 (and where) and documenting all of the differences in a sticky thread or something. That way, people could be more informed about the features their phone model will have.

Last edited:

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just managed to change the primary shortcuts, presuming this is the row along the bottom of the homepage. so, now I have:

Something Phone Contacts Messaging Apps

My question is... what was there before I accidentally placed "something" there?

Aha! I deleted the "Something" and then realised that the two rows of FOUR icons are the default, but you can squeeze (at least) one more in the bottom row. That's really handy, as I wanted to place a shortcut to calling my wife, but there wasn't anything on the homepage that I was willing to sacrifice.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to get my homepage back after I screw it up with some wild click or myoclonic jerk.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just managed to change the primary shortcuts, presuming this is the row along the bottom of the homepage. so, now I have:

Something Phone Contacts Messaging Apps

My question is... what was there before I accidentally placed "something" there?

Aha! I deleted the "Something" and then realised that the two rows of FOUR icons are the default, but you can squeeze (at least) one more in the bottom row. That's really handy, as I wanted to place a shortcut to calling my wife, but there wasn't anything on the homepage that I was willing to sacrifice.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to get my homepage back after I screw it up with some wild click or myoclonic jerk.
Not quite exactly sure what you mean. If you want to keep the default clock on the main page, you get 2 rows of 4 icons and the dock row which holds up to 5 icons. (4+apps button). These are fully customizable, but there's no conventional "reset" button. You'll have to remember what was where. If you delete a shortcut by accident, you can add it back by pressing and holding on the home screen and choosing the appropriate action.

Austimac

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a S4 Mini for my wife for Xmas - Factory Unlocked - from Amazon. Model. I9195. I received all docs in French and there is an Orange Community Icon on the home page. I have the same problem with reconfiguring my homepage icons, as the default ones just don't move. Worse yet, Samsung does not have an 'Unlocked' Manual on the Web. You can only download the Providers' manuals.

Has anyone experience the same issues with a S$ Mini?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

caligirl3434

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
My 17 month old got hold of my phone and somehow managed to move my whole shortcut tray from the bottom to the middle of the page. I can drag icons in and out of the tray except the app icon but I cannot drag the tray back to the bottom. I have tried everything. Can anyone help me? I have a Galaxy S4 thru T-mobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol