Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have Root, What apps can I uninstall to get storage back?

Hello All

I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 that was rooted using the How to found here on the forums.

Now my question is, WHat can I uninstall to hopefully gain some of my internal storage space back?

9.5gb Is quite a step down from the 16gb advertised and wanted to know if uninstalling certain system apps etc I could gain some of that back?

What would be safe to uninstall?

Thanks

Default Re: Have Root, What apps can I uninstall to get storage back?

Hi there

I don't have an answer to your question, but have a few questions of my own. How easy was it to root the phone? Is there any danger to do it - I read somewhere that you can 'brick' the phone. Other than what you want to achieve, what are the advantages to rooting it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Rooting the phone is very easy.

As far as what you can do, I personally did it for the ad blocker app and wifi tether for my kids ipods when I need it.

Theres tons more you can do as far as root only apps etc, but for me these are part of the functionality I want.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Rooting the phone is very easy.

As far as what you can do, I personally did it for the ad blocker app and wifi tether for my kids ipods when I need it.

Theres tons more you can do as far as root only apps etc, but for me these are part of the functionality I want.
    Great! Where can I find the ad blocker app?

Swyped via my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Android Central Forums

Does this mean that you cannot make the phone a wireless hotspot without the wifi tether app?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

You can but I "believe" you will get charges extra if you use the built in wifi hotspot app. That's the way it been on my previous EVO's

From my understanding is that you can't get more storage space on the memory from deleting system apps. System apps are in a separate untouched area that no amount of deleting will help. So that's why the majority of people go to asop roms but it's obvious why some refuse to go that route.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus

Honestly, I uninstalled all att apps and Samsung apps that aren't connected to system functionality and it didn't free up a ton of space. The space in mostly taken up by the stuff installed on the phone we cannot touch at all...
    The recovery partition. But it is liberating to get rid of those apps that you won't use but don't expect drastic differences in your storage space.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khalsa4G View Post
    Great! Where can I find the ad blocker app?

Swyped via my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Android Central Forums
    Not in the Play Store anymore, they booted out all ad blockers. Search for and download F-droid. It is an alternate app store. Then download AdAway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Honestly, I uninstalled all att apps and Samsung apps that aren't connected to system functionality and it didn't free up a ton of space. The space in mostly taken up by the stuff installed on the phone we cannot touch at all...
    The recovery partition. But it is liberating to get rid of those apps that you won't use but don't expect drastic differences in your storage space.

Honestly that's very sad to hear.

May I ask what you used to delete the system apps?

I use adfreeand can be found if you Google for it. (I'm on mobile right now)

Global Posts
    5,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

You can get AdBlock Plus for Android here About Adblock Plus for Android it is of course a side loaded app now. But no big deal. I want to delete those annoying ATT apps not so much to save space as I would just like them gone, gone, gone. I can hide them, but they are still there like a bad penny waiting to appear again.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Honestly that's very sad to hear.

May I ask what you used to delete the system apps?

I use adfreeand can be found if you Google for it. (I'm on mobile right now)
    Titanium backup.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by:

Very very easy download kingo android root. I rooted with a press of a button.