Can plastic back of S4 be replaced by aluminum, carbon fiber, etc?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering...since most reviewers complained about the cheap feel of the back on the S4, can't a third party simply make an aluminum (or kevlar) version of it to replace it?

jaxterzz

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea, that's what I didn't understand what the big deal about the plastic is. As a matter of fact, I just bought an aluminum back plate a minute ago on ebay. I saw my friend have a similar one for his S3 and it looked amazing which is where I got the idea from searching for it.

I just bought this. $7 including free worldwide shipping!

Gray Aluminum Battery Back Cover Case for Samsung GT I9500 Galaxy S4 Stylus | eBay

I also bought one of the colours on this variation of an aluminum back plate for $5 with free worldwide shipping.

Aluminium Metal Brushed Battery Door Back Cover Case Samsung Galaxy S4 IV I9500 | eBay

So many colours to choose from!

brianphrack

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, that's what I didn't understand what the big deal about the plastic is. As a matter of fact, I just bought an aluminum back plate a minute ago on ebay. I saw my friend have a similar one for his S3 and it looked amazing which is where I got the idea from searching for it.

I just bought this. $7 including free worldwide shipping!

Gray Aluminum Battery Back Cover Case for Samsung GT I9500 Galaxy S4 Stylus | eBay

I also bought one of the colours on this variation of an aluminum back plate for $5 with free shipping.

Aluminium Metal Brushed Battery Door Back Cover Case Samsung Galaxy S4 IV I9500 | eBay

So many colours to choose from!

I don't have the desire for one of these myself, but I would like to know if they affect the signal.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You usually lose 1-2 bars with aluminum, foil covered, and metal cases. That includes bumper cases also. Carbon fiber cases have no signal degradation.

palebluedot77

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
You usually lose 1-2 bars with aluminum, foil covered, and metal cases. That includes bumper cases also. Carbon fiber cases have no signal degradation.

Can someone that actually has an aluminum back replacement please confirm that you do indeed lose signal bars for both wifi and 4G?

I'm very interested in hearing your findings.

MRQturbo

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought that the feel would be really cheap but it's actually much better than I thought...much nicer than s3 feel..

Posted via Android Central App

jaxterzz

May 3, 2013
Visit site
i've been using an aluminum back almost since the beginning and i've faced no problems with reception. No decencies at all and nfc still works. all of that and my phone looks sleek as hell!