Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Extra Battery + Battery Charger VS PowerBank. Which one will you prefer?

Extra Battery + Battery Charger = You can swap battery if the one you are using has run out

PowerBank = Portable charger

I'm not much of a power user but i'm planning to get one, but i'm not quite sure what to get. Can you tell me some Pros and Cons of the 2 items? And which one will you prefer?

Default Re: Extra Battery + Battery Charger VS PowerBank. Which one will you prefer?

The way I see it, they both have their pros and cons. I'm actually going to get both. Why? Well, why not. I'm not a power user either.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Extra Battery + Battery Charger VS PowerBank. Which one will you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
    The way I see it, they both have their pros and cons. I'm actually going to get both. Why? Well, why not. I'm not a power user either.
    That's why i want to know it. xD

Pros (+) and Cons (-)....

Extra Battery:
    + No wires necessary to recharge
    + smaller size to carry around
    + less expensive
    - can only be used for your phone
    - requires rebooting your phone

Battery Charger:
    + can power multiple devices
    + more power than a standard size battery
    + no rebooting necessary
    - requires a wire to charge the device
    - larger size for carrying
    - more expensive
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Issemann View Post
    Pros (+) and Cons (-)....

Extra Battery:
    + No wires necessary to recharge
    + smaller size to carry around
    + less expensive
    - can only be used for your phone
    - requires rebooting your phone

Battery Charger:
    + can power multiple devices
    + more power than a standard size battery
    + no rebooting necessary
    - requires a wire to charge the device
    - larger size for carrying
    - more expensive
    Thanks sir! Much appropriated! But i wonder, which one will you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Omer San Gabriel View Post
    Extra Battery + Battery Charger = You can swap battery if the one you are using has run out

PowerBank = Portable charger

I'm not much of a power user but i'm planning to get one, but i'm not quite sure what to get. Can you tell me some Pros and Cons of the 2 items? And which one will you prefer?
    Why both, of course!

I like the Anker 3000mAH external battery.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

IF only 1. Haha. Don't have that much money, i'm only a student. )

Thanks sir! Much appropriated! But i wonder, which one will you get?
    Well, I currently have the S3 with a spare battery. But I'm considering ditching Verizon to get the HTC One. If I do, then my only option would be the power charger.

If I stick with the S3 (or go with the S4, which is unlikely at this point), I'd go the spare battery route only because it's smaller to carry around.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

I don't like depending on an extra internal battery, because using means I need to shutdown the phone, swap batteries, then reboot, and rebooting takes too long. YMMV, but for the few times I need extra power, I use what you're calling a PowerBank.

Really only use it when traveling, but works really well for me. I had a 12,000 mAhr pack, but it was too heavy. Sweet spot for me is about 4000-6000 mAhr - enough to recharge a couple times,without being too heavy to travel with.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I don't like depending on an extra internal battery, because using means I need to shutdown the phone, swap batteries, then reboot, and rebooting takes too long. YMMV, but for the few times I need extra power, I use what you're calling a PowerBank.

Really only use it when traveling, but works really well for me. I had a 12,000 mAhr pack, but it was too heavy. Sweet spot for me is about 4000-6000 mAhr - enough to recharge a couple times,without being too heavy to travel with.
    What brand are you using? Or can you give me a link of it?

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post

With a swappable, internal battery you put it in a go (takes me less than a minute on my S4). With a power pack you have to charge your phone with it attached. I wouldn't want to use the phone that monstrosity hanging off of it.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I got a 5000mAh battery pack that has 1A and 2A charging ports a while back on an Amazon promo but I still plan on getting the spare battery and charger for quick swap and go especially when you don't have time to be tethered to a device for charging.

BTW, amazon.com has the Samsung 2600mAh battery+charger listed as coming on 5-26 and its up for pre-order.

Reboots on newer devices take less than a minute. So, would you rather swap out a fully charged fresh battery in 1 minute or have a rather large external battery hanging from your phone for an hour or more?

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

I have both but prefer an external battery. That one external battery can charge/power any device. An extra internal battery only works for that one device. When I carry the external battery I also bring a very long USB cable to make the tether easier.

Thanks for asking. Choose what works for you.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    Wilbur 

Power bank hands down!

I just ordered an Astro Slim2:

Seems like a good choice. It comes with a built-in Micro-USB piece, and is relatively slim, so it'll be easy to pocket in a jacket.

I wanted to pick up their 2600mah battery, since it's only $13, but it only ships within the US and I'm Canadian I don't want to have to spend the extra cash on the Samsung-branded battery.

I prefer an extra battery, I wan never fond of carrying another device to charge my battery when all I need is to put a charged battery in my phone
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    tohio and feedmeccc like this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

I also have the Anker external battery - small, light, built in micro USB cable (tucks into the battery charger itself). Haven't even considered an extra battery - too much hassle.

I've had both and plugging up to a powerbank is a pain. It's bulkier than just having an extra battery plus you have to be tethered to it while it's charging. While it's true that it can power other devices, I usually only carry two other things, my tablet and my bluetooth headphones, neither of which usually runs out of juice so I have no need for it. This is coming from a person who has owned both. I pretty much never used the powerbank, but I swapped batteries all of the time. I eventually just gave the powerbank to my wife cause her battery isn't removable.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    I also have the Anker external battery - small, light, built in micro USB cable (tucks into the battery charger itself). Haven't even considered an extra battery - too much hassle.
    How could changing out a battery in less than a minute be more hassle than carrying around rather large (compared to a battery) battery charger and being tethered to it when you use it? Am I missing something?

Doesn't make sense to me either. Reboot times aren't very long at all

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Late reply, and also thanks for the replies. First of all I only wanted to get one because i'm saving some money. Secondly, many people(including my friends/relatives) are saying to get powerbank(Powerpack). The only thing that is stoping me is the battery cycle. I don't know much about battery cycle, but i've seen articles that charging often lessen the maxed out power of the battery. And for example, you are using the phone and charging it with wallcharger/powerbank(powerpack) i read it that using your phone while charging is a bad thing and can mess your battery.

(Sorry for the bad english, hope you understand what i've said. I'm not that good in english. xD)
    Last edited by Omer San Gabriel; 05-13-2013 at 06:12 AM.

I would go with the Powerpack. WIth the extra battery at the end of the day you will have two batteries to charage. Does the extra battery come with an extra charger? You might run into the problem of only being able to full charge one battery before having to go to work

Quote Originally Posted by Hypochondriac View Post
    I would go with the Powerpack. WIth the extra battery at the end of the day you will have two batteries to charage. Does the extra battery come with an extra charger? You might run into the problem of only being able to full charge one battery before having to go to work
    The very first post the OP asked about the purchase decision between a power pack and a charger with spare battery. You will need to charge two things in either case, your battery and the power pack or two batteries. If you can charge the powerpack why wouldn't you be able to charge the extra battery? Here's my schedule with my S3 over the last year: I charge the phone overnight and the spare battery (in the charger like the one mentioned in the first post). If I need the spare battery during the day it's available. But if I don't it stays charged. I've went two weeks or more before changing batteries and the spare still held a full charge when I needed it. As mentioned before, you can get two batteries and a charger online for $20. Much cheaper than a powerpack. Additionally, picture yourself carrying and using your phone with a powerpack attached to it by a usb cable. Looks to me like at least 4 batteries or more will fit in the space occupied by one powerpack. Remember, the powerpack only has so many recharges and then you throw it away. You can buy a new battery for as little as $6.00.

Late reply, and also thanks for the replies. First of all I only wanted to get one because i'm saving some money. Secondly, many people(including my friends/relatives) are saying to get powerbank(Powerpack). The only thing that is stoping me is the battery cycle. I don't know much about battery cycle, but i've seen articles that charging often lessen the maxed out power of the battery. And for example, you are using the phone and charging it with wallcharger/powerbank(powerpack) i read it that using your phone while charging is a bad thing and can mess your battery.

(Sorry for the bad english, hope you understand what i've said. I'm not that good in english. xD)
    Using your phone while charging won't mess up your battery. There are many devices on the market that do not even allow you to charge the battery while it is powered off. The moment you plug it in it turns on while it charges. So what difference if you use it at the same time. Plus the power pack does not have a replaceable battery.

If you read this article, you will see that a lithium ion battery is able to go though many more charge cycles if you keep it topped off before allowing it to fully deplete. Even then, the last phone I had that I had a spare battery for, I would let the spare battery run down before swapping, and after two years the battery health on my batteries were still better than 90 percent. Batteries are cheap enough anyway.

You can get a spare battery that comes with a standalone charger. That way you can charge your phone and the spare battery at the same time. And one thing others may have not mentioned. Having spare batteries makes them last much longer since you are not putting just one phone battery though all your charge cycles. Often you can make it though the day on one battery and you will not have to recharge your spare.

As others have stated, swapping in a fresh battery is much quicker than charging a battery. I don't have multiple devices to charge so for me I don't care. If I do bring my tablet it lasts much longer than my phone anyway. I've had a spare battery or two for every phone I've had for the last 10 years.

I've had portable chargers in the past mad I only used them in emergencies. So for me, when I had both the usb portable charger and a spare battery with me, I went for the spare battery. Plus I don't want anything putting strain on my usb port! That's another reason why I am converting this phone to be able to use the two Palm Touchstone chargers I ready have. I don't want to use the usb port for anything other than usb data transfers.

And after coming from webOS, I'm used to being able to take a shower while my phone reboots. With the GS4 I can actually hold my breath and not die before it boots up.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by vasekvi; 05-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Thanked by:
    tohio and Omer San Gabriel like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast