Galaxy S4 Turns Off by itself sometimes

DJHW

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Galaxy s4 keeps turning off.

Was fine for a few months but now turns off several times each day. Battery seems ok and not discharging. Uninstalled various apps and also tried factory reset - nothing helps.

Have shelved the S4 and relying on my ancient old S2 which has never let me down.

Any word on a fix?

Haze McNasty

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Galaxy s4 keeps turning off.

Was fine for a few months but now turns off several times each day. Battery seems ok and not discharging. Uninstalled various apps and also tried factory reset - nothing helps.

Have shelved the S4 and relying on my ancient old S2 which has never let me down.

Any word on a fix?

Haze McNasty

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Ive been having a problem with the phone turning off if I bump it at all or put it down to hard but I believe the problem is with this particular battery because I do not have this issue when using other batteries.

shayalamarie

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
hi! i'm so glad i saw your post. this is exactly the same thing that has been happening to my s4 which started about two weeks ago. phone keeps shutting down if i use the camera, or browse the internet or play games when the battery is less than 50%. pressing on the power button won't just do it. i really have to connect it to the charger and juice it up so i could use it again. just this morning, it turned off again while i was trying to make a call. argh! i was having doubts on what could be causing this. i have tried exchanging batteries with my boyfriend's s4, same thing still happens. :( i'm not sure too, if it has something to do with my phone being accidentally dropped on the pavement about a month ago (didn't break, just got a small scratch on the top part of the cover)? or could my phone be infected by a bug or something?
anyway, are you still having the same problem? what have you done to fix it? i would really appreciate the help. thanks! :)

jbinah

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my S4 3 days ago. The first night and last night the phone shut off while it was plugged into the charger overnight. I was using it as my alarm clock, so glad my neighbors were noisy! I haven't had any issues during the day. I'm hoping its the battery, as some people have indicated. Because otherwise this phone rocks! If anyone has any other thoughts or solutions, would love to hear them!

nelnun

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have replaced the battery and the problem still persists, so it isn't a battery issue! I'm going to send it back to my local dealer for repairing :(
Hope to have news in the next 30 days!

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have had my S4 for 2 and a half months now and I am having the same issue. I do not understand why now and not three months ago. I have not installed any new apps and I factory reset it yesterday and the problem persists. I do not think it is the battery because it happens even when it is fully charged and I do not think it is an specific app either, because it has happened while reading my mail, while using chrome, while trying to make a phone call. It really seems it is a hardware issue, but I have been very careful with the phone and it is as new.
What else could it be?
Cheers,

raggedymike

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that we are talking about multiple problems with the same symptom, but I will add my experience and see if anybody can profit from it.

I bought my S4 on Swappa (AT&T SGH-1337). It was represented as "in mint condition", and when I got it, it worked fine. One thing that was odd was that it came in an aftermarket metal case of the kind that sell on ebay for 8 bucks. After a day or two, it started turning off when left in my pocket. I took the case apart (it requires unscrewing tiny screws). The phone did not have the stock plastic back on it (this was supplied elsewhere in the box). I replaced the stock back and it immediately began turning off more often. After some experimentation, I discovered that I could duplicate the behavior (phone turning off) by squeezing the phone. If I took the back off, I could turn it off by pressing on the sim card holder. I think that the guy who sold it on Swappa provided the aftermarket case to make this less likely. One thing I found was that if I removed the back and left it out of the metal case, it seems to work reliably (no turning off). This is not, however, a long term solution. What I intend to do is to glue a tiny spacer to the plastic back to prevent the sim card holder from being compressed. I am not sure this will work as the back fits so snugly, but I will give it a try. I will let you know what happens.

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. I originally had a S4 and it was fine...no issues. I had upgrade and used on iPhone 5S.....well I couldn't adjust to the small screen so I exchanged it back for another S4 until the Note 3 came out. Well that S4 kept cutting off on me and I had to pull battery to get it back on. Did it like 2 or three times a day. Not sure what caused it but I exchanged for a Note 3. Even had a friend who had same issue. They pretty much had to part ways and got something else.

Posted via Android Central App

Taluuram Dev

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i just bought S4 4g 32gb on 27th July 2013. Facing the same problem as yours. Keep switched off a few times. The battery life was good and the phone was just OK if i used, surf internet or play with it. It only will turned off when i left `him' alone.... same method, i had to remove the battery to get it work again. Did samsung create S4 as a attention seeker which we need to care all the time... coz everytime i left `him' alone, it will turned off.. :-(((

how did u fix it....i too am facing similar issues

Breezeaire

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have had this problem all summer long but it seems to have gotten worse. Just having my phone in pocket or tossing it on bed gently the phone would die.
Not sure if this is a fix for all cases but this has worked for over a week. I placed a thin piece of tape in battery compartment, bottom of battery, to force a tighter connection at the terminal points. If it keeps up then back to Sprint for warranty repair which to me is like going to DMV.

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Turn's Off by itself sometimes

I have been having the same issue for the last couple of days ... after finding this post I have just taken my battery out and it looks like it is going to pop - you can see the bulge and the back of the phone has been getting very hot the last couple of days to.. .. I have ordered a replacement battery .. I will also be contacting O2 as this is not good!!

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Turn's Off by itself sometimes

"Made In China" batterys are bad. I got replacements from Samsung which were
"Made In Japan / Assembled In China" & "Made In Korea". The bad one I had was "Made In China".

Emmerentia Visser

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have my Samsung I9195 just over 4 weeks. It has turned itself of 4 times, the first 3 times I took out the battery and put it back in and the telephone goes on. Phones been off from yesterday and when I took out the battery today and put it back in, it only vibrates in my hand. So I put it on charge, still nothing. I went to my carriers store 3days ago and they put of automatic updates and 4g. It just got worse, should I go to an Samsung dealer???

kamertonas

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Phone Freezes/ restarts etc. is hardware problem (CPU defect). Do not flash phone you most likely trigger knox from 0x0 to 0x1 and lose your warranty. Just return phone and ask for replacement. The longer you wait the more it occurs. Theres no software solution to fix hardware problem :). If you out of warranty give it to repair shop CPU has be reballed.

Peta Irwin

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have recently been having the same problems plus ive noticed my internet n phone signal goes then it shuts off. Wont switch back on unless on charge this has been happening wen the battery is 50% or less its always wen im either roaming on facebook or playing games. Ive uninstalled every app that i installed before it started to happen n still no joy. Wen it switches off n i put it on charge it basicly says the phones flat then goes up to 50% plus. I have more aless tried everything n now feel like smashing the phone against wall. Someone said its because im never off it n its on charge a few times a day n its caused damage to battery

My S4 does exactly the same. It sometimes even says "insert sim" after signal drops out, just before it turns off. I have done a factory reset and that didn't work. I haven't noticed a change in appearance of battery either. I'm about ready to throw it at a wall too! So, do I take it back and get it replaced or has someone come up with a solution?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12