Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

aaron R

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem with my tablet. Maybe a different os.
I found something handy on another forum about changing to a static ip and using a free dns server. It was 8.8.8.8 and i used it as the secondry one.
Sometimes i have to reset my router to connect, it seems to forget my devices when i leave the house.
But may help you for now

ozman213

May 21, 2013
Visit site
There is a known problem with D-Link routers. The wireless switches at my office are Motorola. The 3 S4s we've tried at the office cannot connect to the network. The symptoms are that it tries to connect for some time and eventually comes back with Authentication Error Occurred. D-Link is a popular brand for home networking gear, so I think it's getting all of the attention. I'm not certain if they share some of the same firmware or hardware, but there are problems with other manufacturers as well. I've also tried every trick in the book. So I look for/wait for answers. I would suggest that you post your symptoms, and if possible the brand and model of the router or switch you are trying to connect to.

ozman213

May 21, 2013
Visit site
With respect to the actual problem, looks like there's some extra tags in the Association Request from the Samsung Galaxy S4 that is tripping up the Motorola Wireless LAN switches.

Samsung Galaxy S4 and Motorola Wireless LAN SwitchesMichael McNamara | Michael McNamara

I'm talking with Motorola about the problem, to see if there's anything that can be done from there end.

Cheers!

That's the first piece of news I've seen on the Motorola bits. Thank you!! Let us know if you find anything out.

David Jenkins3

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my S4. I have no problem connecting at home or several other places, but at work nothing. The WiFi at work is through AT&T which is who I have my phone service through. It is also an open network. My old iPhone use to connect with no problem as well as my Kindle Fire HD. But not my S4. It either just says saved or says authentication error. What can I do to solve this issue?

jtacuff78

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm at work with a brand new S4 and experiencing the same problem. Our infrastructure is all Aruba.

Same here. I've got two S4 phones that were bought at the same time. One has no problems and connects to all the access points. The other will connect to about 5 out 14 access points that I found. The network I'm trying to connect to is an open network. The same phone also has problems connecting to a Netgear Push2TV. It connects but drops shortly after connecting.

peliROJO

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here at work. I have the Motorola RFS4010 wireless router. Linksys AP's. None of the Galaxy S4's work but all other mobile devices are fine, including the Note II which I think is the next newest device.

I have WPA/WPA2-TKIP and WPA2-CCMA turned on. Error is "Authentication Problem Occurred."

RFS4010 is running firmware 4.3.1.0-016R. I plan on updating it to the newest 5.4.3.0 in the next day or two. Will post back.

MasterAbiak

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Been having the same problem for the last few days as well. I will be on my wifi at home when it randomly drops and gives this error switching me over to 3g. My router is a Linksys EA3500.

stranger07

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have also same problem, I got brand new S4 last week and untill today didn't have chance to connect to wifi, but today when I have tryed, it didn't work. The on the router WPA/WPA2, with this settings I can connect to wifi with my lap top and with my old iphone 3GS but not with Galaxy S4. and when I have changed the settings on the router as WEP wich is very low security connectin, then I was able to connect to wifi with my Glaxy S4 but this time I can not connect with my other devices. I was thinking maybe the problem might solve when I update the android system but nothing changed.
I keep searching on the internet and forums and I saw that I am not the only one who is having this problem. Apperently problem is with Glaxy S4. I am just hoping to find a solution and able to connect all the wifi network around.

JimBiggs151

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to elevate this problem a little. With my NEW Galaxy S4, I cannot connect to Wi-Fi at home or at work. I have confirmed that it works on a non-secure Starbucks location. Now it could be argued that the router should be updated. HOWEVER, my employer will not replace their router just to help those of us with S4's. This is a Samsung problem.
My home router is a Netgear WNDR3400v2 using the latest firmware which is version V1.0.0.34_1.0.52

sleepy_dad

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem connecting to Wi-Fi at work too. I was finally able to connect after lots of attempts by going into advanced options and changing the IP setting to "static". I then had to manually input an IP address (I just guessed). I could then connect to the network but not browse the internet (I think due to not having the correct DNS server address). While connected to the network, I then switched the IP setting back to DHCP. This failed more than once, but after a few tries, switching back to DHCP resulted in a fully functional Wi-Fi connection. I then made a note of my IP address and DNS address, for future use. I used these to set up a static IP connection that was solid for several days. A week or so later our IT staff upgraded some firmware or something in our routers, and I have been able to connect normally with DHCP ever since.

Posted via Android Central App

dougc405

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I would not just "guess" at a static IP address. You could end up duplicsting an existing address, which can cause various problems on the network.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

loko300

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I just tried by inputting the manual configuration and it did not work for me on the Motorola Network, hope that Samsung will get a fix for this soon, its not acceptable to have this issues if you paying a high price for this phones.

ozman213

May 21, 2013
Visit site
As an update, 2 people have been able to connect Samsung Galaxy S4's here at work on the Motorola appliance. One got the Google edition. The other is using a Verizon phone with CyanogenMod. The latter recently got an update. I don't know if this means a fix is on the way, but it's promising.

David D2

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 for over a month now and I've never had any problems with it until this morning. I tried sending something (from home) and I noticed it wasn't connected to the WiFi, so I automatically assumed it was the WiFi router; which I reset. I then tried connecting and the S4 said 'authentication error' re-enter password. Signal was on full strength, so I re-entered it, but the same error appeared. I looked at the phone half an hour later and it was working. What do you think the problem was?

BRIXSNIPER101

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. i had mac filtering rules set in my router.. and I successfully connected my device once but when i connect it again i had authentication problem. I notice that the S4 mac address seems to change every time i turn my wifi on and off.. Can anyone know how to make s4 had a fix mac address..???

Mohammad Yaseen1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. There was an update last night and the problem went away. They must have fixed the issue . I had contacted samsung for help and every thing they said, I tried, with no success. I bet they have headed to the complaints. ..