Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

miatagrrl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4. As I have always done with all of my devices that connect wirelessly, I went into my D-Link software and added my phone's MAC address to the network filter list. The security settings are WPA/WPA2. When I try to connect, the phone is able to see my Wi-Fi network, and it asks for my password, which I enter. It keeps trying to connect, but then it says an "authentication error occurred." I have checked and triple-checked the password, and it is correct. I have also checked and triple-checked the MAC address, and it is correct. I have rebooted the router and the phone several times each. Any suggestions on resolving this? I am an ordinary consumer, not a geek by any means :) -- please state your response accordingly. Thank you!

- Tina

miatagrrl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I would turn off MAC address authentication. Not much need for it IMO, especially with a good password.

Thanks for your responses. No, it doesn't get better when I'm closer to the router (I have tried standing right next to it with 4 bars showing). I'm not willing to turn off MAC address authentication quite yet, because I like the additional security, which works well with all my other devices.

miatagrrl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Fantom305, yes, that's correct. I use MAC address authentication successfully with two laptops, two tablets and my old Samsung Vibrant. I wonder if the problem is that the S4 is so new...

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand how much more security you need filtering the mac address. If you WPA2/WPA enabled in your router and you have the firewall enabled in the router and perhaps some kind of firewall in your cell phone like LOOKOUT, what more security you want ?? When you filter the mac address all you are doing is making is this : Only computers on the MAC Address filter list will have access to the wireless network. Therefore, I don't think this procedure is giving you any extra security. The way I set up my cell was after activating wifi I had it scan for networks and once it found mine I imputed the password and applied the security to be used and that was it. Now the cell's mac address appears in my router as a device with permission to use my network but I am not filtering the mac. I don't feel the need to do it since it is my own network for which I only have access. I think that you are only creating unnecessary problems for yourself..... I am just saying.

hobbsave

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem after the recent AT&T update. The S4 wouldn't connect and kept getting the authentication error. Tried forget network, battery pull and all the restarts I could think of on the phone side.

However.......

Problem was solved with a reboot/reset of the comcast router. Phone connected immediately with no issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Andrey Sorokin

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My friend and I both have the same problem with galaxy s4 at work. Every single device (HTC One, Galaxy Note, Ipad, Iphone, galaxy s3) connects to wifi but our S4's will not connect. Keep getting message that say authentication error. Tried rebooting the phone, taking battery out, even went as far as replacing the phone with no luck. Very frustrated with the whole wifi issue.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4. As I have always done with all of my devices that connect wirelessly, I went into my D-Link software and added my phone's MAC address to the network filter list. The security settings are WPA/WPA2. When I try to connect, the phone is able to see my Wi-Fi network, and it asks for my password, which I enter. It keeps trying to connect, but then it says an "authentication error occurred." I have checked and triple-checked the password, and it is correct. I have also checked and triple-checked the MAC address, and it is correct. I have rebooted the router and the phone several times each. Any suggestions on resolving this? I am an ordinary consumer, not a geek by any means :) -- please state your response accordingly. Thank you!

- Tina

Ok, you have entered a MAC address for the S4 in the Routers Wireless MAC Filter Listing? Correct, you stated you entered the MAC address.
Q. Do you have sufficient DHCP users allocated under "Basic Settings"? You are adding one device so perhaps you will need to increase the DHCP allocation by one.
Q. Under "Wireless Security" in your router, do you have WPA Personal "PSK" for mode; and AES set for Algorithms?
Lets start with that.....
Bob

ozman213

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My office has 2 open networks one with MAC filtering the other just open. I can connect with my nexus 7 to both. Neither myself nor my friend on different carriers can connect to the network on our S4s. I can connect to my home network with no issue. The appliances are enterprise grade Motorola wireless switches. I do not know the model. I receive the same symptoms. It tries to connect for a while and says authentication error occurred. One is a wide open network. There is most certainly an incompatibility with the S4 and some wireless devices. I have tried resetting the phone. Turning off power save mode. Forgetting and reconnecting. Nothing changes. Instead of questioning the OPs security preferences, where can we look for answers? There is nothing wrong with that security setup from a hardware perspective. It should work.

abarzua21

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
That's happened to me a few times. Did you try and press "forget this network" and set it up again put in your password.. I had the same error and that's helped me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forum

gmanish

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought my galaxy s4 two days back. Since then I have been seeing similar problem on my home wifi. The other devices on my network - iPhone, LG Optimus, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, iMac, MacBook Pro and PS3 don't seem to have any problems.

I'm using Apple Airport Express with WPA.

Erik Hagen1

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a known issue with the S4 and Samsung is not doing anything about it.

Samsung acknowledges Galaxy S4 wi-fi connection problem | ZDNet
How to Fix Samsung Galaxy S4 WiFi Problems

I wish I had known about it before purchasing the phone as well. I would have gone with another phone. As it is, I turn off my Wi-Fi at work, thus making the entire point of having the phone pointless.

Off Wi-Fi, my Mobile Data has increase exponentially over my BlackBerry Torch. If you turn off Mobile Data, be sure to shut down background data on your heavy use apps. Otherwise, be prepared to buy into a new data plan. If you can afford it, get unlimited, but be sure to have a charger with you at all times as it drains the batter in less than an 8 hour day at work.

dentil

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had known about it before purchasing the phone as well. I would have gone with another phone. As it is, I turn off my Wi-Fi at work, thus making the entire point of having the phone pointless.

My wife and I bought two new S4's this past weekend. Neither will connect to wifi at my work. It is an open network. Never had a problem with my bionic. Have no problems at my wifes work, our home or other networks. I tried "forget network, rebooted, took battery out......nothing! Checked out settings, called our IT department.......Everyone is stumped here. Now I see this thread.........What to do????