Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4. As I have always done with all of my devices that connect wirelessly, I went into my D-Link software and added my phone's MAC address to the network filter list. The security settings are WPA/WPA2. When I try to connect, the phone is able to see my Wi-Fi network, and it asks for my password, which I enter. It keeps trying to connect, but then it says an "authentication error occurred." I have checked and triple-checked the password, and it is correct. I have also checked and triple-checked the MAC address, and it is correct. I have rebooted the router and the phone several times each. Any suggestions on resolving this? I am an ordinary consumer, not a geek by any means :-) -- please state your response accordingly. Thank you!

- Tina

Default Re: Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

Is it getting better when you try connecting nearby your router? If so, it's probably this Android bug: Unfortunately Google seems to have decided to ignore this issue so far

Maybe voting it up (the star at the left of the issue title) helps a little.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

I would turn off MAC address authentication. Not much need for it IMO, especially with a good password.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by fishepa View Post
    I would turn off MAC address authentication. Not much need for it IMO, especially with a good password.
    Thanks for your responses. No, it doesn't get better when I'm closer to the router (I have tried standing right next to it with 4 bars showing). I'm not willing to turn off MAC address authentication quite yet, because I like the additional security, which works well with all my other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by miatagrrl View Post
    works well with all my other devices.
    When you say other devices... do you mean other cell phones included ??
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Fantom305, yes, that's correct. I use MAC address authentication successfully with two laptops, two tablets and my old Samsung Vibrant. I wonder if the problem is that the S4 is so new...

Tap on the wifi network, and tap forget then try again.

Posted via Android Central App

I just don't understand how much more security you need filtering the mac address. If you WPA2/WPA enabled in your router and you have the firewall enabled in the router and perhaps some kind of firewall in your cell phone like LOOKOUT, what more security you want ?? When you filter the mac address all you are doing is making is this : Only computers on the MAC Address filter list will have access to the wireless network. Therefore, I don't think this procedure is giving you any extra security. The way I set up my cell was after activating wifi I had it scan for networks and once it found mine I imputed the password and applied the security to be used and that was it. Now the cell's mac address appears in my router as a device with permission to use my network but I am not filtering the mac. I don't feel the need to do it since it is my own network for which I only have access. I think that you are only creating unnecessary problems for yourself..... I am just saying.

Amen to that.

John
    Thanked by:

I had this problem after the recent AT&T update. The S4 wouldn't connect and kept getting the authentication error. Tried forget network, battery pull and all the restarts I could think of on the phone side.

However.......

Problem was solved with a reboot/reset of the comcast router. Phone connected immediately with no issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

My friend and I both have the same problem with galaxy s4 at work. Every single device (HTC One, Galaxy Note, Ipad, Iphone, galaxy s3) connects to wifi but our S4's will not connect. Keep getting message that say authentication error. Tried rebooting the phone, taking battery out, even went as far as replacing the phone with no luck. Very frustrated with the whole wifi issue.

Quote Originally Posted by miatagrrl View Post
    I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4. As I have always done with all of my devices that connect wirelessly, I went into my D-Link software and added my phone's MAC address to the network filter list. The security settings are WPA/WPA2. When I try to connect, the phone is able to see my Wi-Fi network, and it asks for my password, which I enter. It keeps trying to connect, but then it says an "authentication error occurred." I have checked and triple-checked the password, and it is correct. I have also checked and triple-checked the MAC address, and it is correct. I have rebooted the router and the phone several times each. Any suggestions on resolving this? I am an ordinary consumer, not a geek by any means :-) -- please state your response accordingly. Thank you!

- Tina
    Ok, you have entered a MAC address for the S4 in the Routers Wireless MAC Filter Listing? Correct, you stated you entered the MAC address.
    Q. Do you have sufficient DHCP users allocated under "Basic Settings"? You are adding one device so perhaps you will need to increase the DHCP allocation by one.
    Q. Under "Wireless Security" in your router, do you have WPA Personal "PSK" for mode; and AES set for Algorithms?
    Lets start with that.....
    Bob

Red face Re: Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

Thank you

My office has 2 open networks one with MAC filtering the other just open. I can connect with my nexus 7 to both. Neither myself nor my friend on different carriers can connect to the network on our S4s. I can connect to my home network with no issue. The appliances are enterprise grade Motorola wireless switches. I do not know the model. I receive the same symptoms. It tries to connect for a while and says authentication error occurred. One is a wide open network. There is most certainly an incompatibility with the S4 and some wireless devices. I have tried resetting the phone. Turning off power save mode. Forgetting and reconnecting. Nothing changes. Instead of questioning the OPs security preferences, where can we look for answers? There is nothing wrong with that security setup from a hardware perspective. It should work.
    oscarv21 likes this.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

well my s4 with comcast router hooked right up after i imputed password

There is a known problem with the Galaxy S4 connecting to some D-Link routers. The problem seems to be WPA/WPA2 with AES. Take a look at this forum on XDA Developers:

That's happened to me a few times. Did you try and press "forget this network" and set it up again put in your password.. I had the same error and that's helped me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forum

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought my galaxy s4 two days back. Since then I have been seeing similar problem on my home wifi. The other devices on my network - iPhone, LG Optimus, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, iMac, MacBook Pro and PS3 don't seem to have any problems.

I'm using Apple Airport Express with WPA.

It's a known issue with the S4 and Samsung is not doing anything about it.

I wish I had known about it before purchasing the phone as well. I would have gone with another phone. As it is, I turn off my Wi-Fi at work, thus making the entire point of having the phone pointless.

Off Wi-Fi, my Mobile Data has increase exponentially over my BlackBerry Torch. If you turn off Mobile Data, be sure to shut down background data on your heavy use apps. Otherwise, be prepared to buy into a new data plan. If you can afford it, get unlimited, but be sure to have a charger with you at all times as it drains the batter in less than an 8 hour day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hagen1 View Post
    I wish I had known about it before purchasing the phone as well. I would have gone with another phone. As it is, I turn off my Wi-Fi at work, thus making the entire point of having the phone pointless.
    My wife and I bought two new S4's this past weekend. Neither will connect to wifi at my work. It is an open network. Never had a problem with my bionic. Have no problems at my wifes work, our home or other networks. I tried "forget network, rebooted, took battery out......nothing! Checked out settings, called our IT department.......Everyone is stumped here. Now I see this thread.........What to do????

I have a similar problem with my tablet. Maybe a different os.
    I found something handy on another forum about changing to a static ip and using a free dns server. It was 8.8.8.8 and i used it as the secondry one.
    Sometimes i have to reset my router to connect, it seems to forget my devices when i leave the house.
    But may help you for now

There is a known problem with D-Link routers. The wireless switches at my office are Motorola. The 3 S4s we've tried at the office cannot connect to the network. The symptoms are that it tries to connect for some time and eventually comes back with Authentication Error Occurred. D-Link is a popular brand for home networking gear, so I think it's getting all of the attention. I'm not certain if they share some of the same firmware or hardware, but there are problems with other manufacturers as well. I've also tried every trick in the book. So I look for/wait for answers. I would suggest that you post your symptoms, and if possible the brand and model of the router or switch you are trying to connect to.

With respect to the actual problem, looks like there's some extra tags in the Association Request from the Samsung Galaxy S4 that is tripping up the Motorola Wireless LAN switches.

I'm talking with Motorola about the problem, to see if there's anything that can be done from there end.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McNamara2 View Post
    With respect to the actual problem, looks like there's some extra tags in the Association Request from the Samsung Galaxy S4 that is tripping up the Motorola Wireless LAN switches.

I'm talking with Motorola about the problem, to see if there's anything that can be done from there end.

Cheers!

That's the first piece of news I've seen on the Motorola bits. Thank you!! Let us know if you find anything out.

I have the same problem with my S4. I have no problem connecting at home or several other places, but at work nothing. The WiFi at work is through AT&T which is who I have my phone service through. It is also an open network. My old iPhone use to connect with no problem as well as my Kindle Fire HD. But not my S4. It either just says saved or says authentication error. What can I do to solve this issue?
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast