Old mail coming through as new

mabo_e

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've had my S4 for just under a week and so far am very impressed. Coming from iPhone 4, there is still a lot for me to learn and discover, but one thing has started to bother me...

I get my emails via the Mail app as they come from a personal mail provider and I have the settings set to load 25 emails at a time. The problem comes when I get new mail and delete it which causes older emails to load to make up the number to 25, but they come in as new unread mail with a notification as if I'm getting new mail... any way to stop this?
Apart from changing the setting to load all mail? I do not really want to do the latter as I have 1000+ emails on the online mail server and do not want them all on my phone.

Did that make sense?

JLopez149

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this issue. One of the biggest annoyances coming from IOS. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Conrad Spiteri

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Me too, but only Yahoo mail causes this. The only tweak I could make to reduce this annoyance is the set the phone to show unread e-mails at the top so that I can mark them as read (again and again) quickly and not to delete any mail (both in the web mail box and phone) My previous phone was an HTC which also had a similar issue but it only happened occasionally and tweaking my Yahoo mail setting almost eliminated this completely, however not on the S4.

I've very happy with the phone and it has some impressive features.

If anyone has an alternative solution I would love to hear about it.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it may be yahoo in general. I have the yahoo mail app on previous phones (and will have it on my s4 when verizon ships it) and on my tablet and it happens all the time. I delete an email and it shows up again later. Its yahoo and every update doesn't fix it. It is frustrating

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

jmbaker3

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem with no solution. My Blackberry allowed me to chose when I deleted mail to "Delete from Handset" or "Delete from handset and server" If I choose the first option I could delete emails, and when I got home, open my PC and have all email download to outlook, thus allowing me to work from the pc and not lose my email after deleting from phone. This method also prevented the emails after I deleted them on the phone to not download again from the server as new. I spoke with Verizon customer service and they had no solution. I see no option for this on my phone unless I am just not looking in the right place.

Last edited:

DrKhachfe

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been experiencing this problem too. I set up my e-mail app on my new Galaxy S4 (btw, it?s marvelous) with the imap modality. Every time I delete a message from my phone, it gets deleted from the server as well, which I thought shouldn?t happen with imap. I double checked that the incoming server is imap.gmail.com, and that in my Gmail settings the ?leave mail on the server? thingy is selected. What do you think the problem is? The problem is exacerbated by the app loading old mail as new (with a notification at the top!!!), so as to keep the max number of messages in the window. Any idea on how to stop this?