Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "Warning Camera Failed" every time I open the camera app

Just got the phone two hours ago, have yet to successfully use the camera without crashing, giving that message. Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it? This was straight out of the box....

Default Re: "Warning Camera Failed" every time I open the camera app

Have you tried resetting the phone?

Sent from my HTC One
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

not yet, I googled around apparently this isn't an isolated incident

The camera will not work properly if the power drops too low. Make sure to fully charge your battery then it will work fine
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, the battery level hasn't been below 59% since I've owned the phone, but I'll try. Also just did a factory reset and still get "warning camera failed" and a black screen %100 of the time opening the camera app.

bring it back and exchange it for a new one
    Darth Spock likes this.

Yeah, I'd exchange, but first, try downloading another camera type app, and see if it also has trouble launching it, if so, could be hardware not reacting to software inputs.
    And if it's hardware, you definitely want to exchange it.

Posted via Android Central App
    עם ישראל חי
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Is this for the front facing camera as well? Try fully charging the phone. If you can't get the camera to work from there, I fully recommend exchanging it. What an odd problem

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Darth Spock likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    Is this for the front facing camera as well? Try fully charging the phone. If you can't get the camera to work from there, I fully recommend exchanging it. What an odd problem

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    It is weird, not even flip phones from 2001 would have this problem out of the box, and this is supposedly the pinnacle of mobile technology. I installed Instagram, tried to access the camera through there, it crashes instagram when you try to take a picture from there. Sad to say, this phone has been a compete fail for the three hours I have had it. If I have to exchange it in the morning, not likely I'll get another GS4.

Brand new, you should not have to troubleshoot, it should just work. Take it back.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    Brand new, you should not have to troubleshoot, it should just work. Take it back.
    Exactly, its going back. HTC One I guess, if they have them and can make the exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTBurns View Post
    Exactly, its going back. HTC One I guess, if they have them and can make the exchange.
    Let's not go off the deep end here. You chose the S4 for a reason, don't let this experience brand the phone as junk, you simply got a bad one. Remember, there are humans involved in every process of manufacturing in one form or another......and yes, we suck at times.

troutspinner

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Not sure I'd assume they're all bad because of a defective one, but I definitely can understand how you'd get there. On the camera, I suspect you've read a lot of about the comparisons between the One and the S4's cameras and know what you're gaining and losing. Will the place you go to buy them let you take out the device and play around with it for a few minutes before going home? If so, speed test, camera, video/music and even making a call or two might be a good idea.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    Let's not go off the deep end here. You chose the S4 for a reason, don't let this experience brand the phone as junk, you simply got a bad one. Remember, there are humans involved in every process of manufacturing in one form or another......and yes, we suck at times.

troutspinner
    Point taken, but let's not forget I just spent 680 dollars for this phone.... I could walk across the street and buy a 20 dollar at 7/11 that's hanging on a rack between the beef jerky and 5-hour energy, and I'm pretty sure the camera app would work out of the box

ScottsoNJ and Darth Spock like this.

So not one HTC One has had a problem? Wow

barryl85 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by shafer0219 View Post
    So not one HTC One has had a problem? Wow

I don't think you could find an example of a One where the camera was dead on arrival, no. That is a core function, not sure how Samsung could botch this

not every phone is going to end up 100% perfect. theres got to be glitches in some of the phones out of the millions they ship out.

Just got the phone two hours ago, have yet to successfully use the camera without crashing, giving that message. Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it? This was straight out of the box....
    Try a factory reset, it should refresh the OS.
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

I don't think you could find an example of a One where the camera was dead on arrival, no. That is a core function, not sure how Samsung could botch this

My co worker received his new One and it wouldn't even turn on.

barryl85 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Try a factory reset, it should refresh the OS.

After the FIFTH factory reset, the camera app has worked about five times in a row, but now it is back to crashing. Now though, instead of "warning camera failed", I get, "camera is not responding, would you like to close it", which at least seems a bit less frightening.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

After the FIFTH factory reset, the camera app has worked about five times in a row, but now it is back to crashing. Now though, instead of "warning camera failed", I get, "camera is not responding, would you like to close it", which at least seems a bit less frightening.
    Does that sound like a possible damaged or loose connection on the hardware side to anyone else?

Yeah, I would definitely take that phone back and exchange it for another S4 or HTC One.

Sent from my HTC One

Every phone has its share of doa(dead on arrival) units. I've sent iPhones back for the exact same reason (camera crashing the phone). Everything from basic phones to note 2s have a probable rate of failure. Doesn't mean any of them are bad or that quality control sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    Every phone has its share of doa(dead on arrival) units. I've sent iPhones back for the exact same reason (camera crashing the phone). Everything from basic phones to note 2s have a probable rate of failure. Doesn't mean any of them are bad or that quality control sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    I wonder if it's possible to gauge what that rate looks like by location, device and manufacturer. For example, there are apparently failure rate differences on Samsung Galaxy Nexus devices that are made in China versus made in South Korea; I guess I'm curious if anyone compiles and aggregates data like that for public consumption or if it's all relatively anecdotal.

I have the HTC One. Great phone as is the S4. But when you mass produce things there are going to be problems. The HTC has dead pixels etc. I love the phone and haven't had any problems but plenty of people have had problems. Plus they both have just been released recently so there are bound to be bugs. I don't know why you picked your phone but I would maybe give that phone another shot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast