1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIM card problem

I have just got myself a galaxy s4
    My present phone is an iPhone 5 so I got myself a nano sim to micro sim adapter so that I could use the s4 straight away but the phone is not recognising the sim
    Has anyone had any experience using these adapters or have I wasted my money?

Default Re: SIM card problem

I've never used it, honestly... but if you're 'dying' to find out, try this:
    1) Ask a friend for a microSIM card or if you have one laying around, take it.
    2) Place it on top of the nano-to-microSIM adapter (with your nanoSIM inserted)
    3) Do the metal pins align PERFECTLY? Does the shape match the microSIM EXACTLY? If the answer is 'yes', you shouldn't have an issue with it. If not, then that's your culprit (especially if the metal prongs do not align); also, if it's the latter, I wouldn't use that in my phone again as you risk damaging the SIM tray or worse, shorting out the terminals.
    4) Have you tried a working microSIM with your phone? Just to rule out your phone as the culprit...

PS: Make sure you're not carrier-locked if you're using a different carrier SIM.

Hopefully you didn't mess up the sim reader contact pins with the adapter. I've read a lot of blogs about how poorly made nano to micro adapters mess up the contact pins.

I've also fixed around 19 galaxy s3s and 2s by replacing the sim port flex because they had switched from an iPhone 5 to an s3 with a converter adapter that appeared to mess up the pins for what ever reason like stated above, shorting the pins by mis-proper alignment. Some were bend from when they tried pulling out the adapter with the sim card there would be a little budge left that would silently bent away the pins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    If I've helped you in any way please hit thanks as a token of gratitude.

Hey,

I bought the new s4 on Saturday sim free for 580 and ended up getting the micro to nano convertor.

Got the phone home and put the sim in and then tried taking it out. It would come out and when it eventually did it ripped the pins out and wouldn't work anymore .

Took it back to the shop and told them it was just saying no sim, they just swapped it lol.

I think it's best just getting a nano sim mine only took a few ours to change over.

Paul

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

That's a bit tad selfish to return it without accepting it was your mistake now someone has to pay. If it gets stuck let someone with experience remove it if you don't want to find a way to remove it. I'm not one to judge though so least you got it replaced. Stores fault for not verifying device worked properly before completing the transaction.

Those adapters get stuck because those "adapters" are poorly made with gaps so the pins get stuck along the edge when attempting to pull adapter out thus ripping one out. I found it very easy to take apart devices with stuck adapters and slowly push in a tin tin flash card (paper) to hold pins down from the bottom side of sim tray and then the adapter and sim would come out flawless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    If I've helped you in any way please hit thanks as a token of gratitude.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I haven't had a problem in removing the nano sim in the adapter, it went in and came out without a problem and it is difficult to see if the pins align correctly with the contacts. The phone is supposed to be factory unlocked, but I don't have working microsim to try. I have now ordered a new micro sim from t mobile so hopefully it will work :-/