Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Galaxy S4 screen just turned green! (Video)

My screen just went out for no reason!

Last edited by icellphones32; 05-14-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: My Galaxy S4 screen just turned green! (Video)

Quote Originally Posted by icellphones32 View Post
    My screen just went out for no reason!

Link is broken

I can't see the video at work, but from the description it's likely something 'snapped' inside your phone (usually screens acting up and going 'all unicolor' is a sign of bad connectors). Personally, I wouldn't wait to get a forum answer and just go straight to the carrier and demand a replacement (your phone can't be more than 1 month old). However, here's a couple of quick-troubleshooting points you can check to see if your screen still lives or it's a software issue:

1) Battery pull. Just leave it out for a few minutes and see if it revives.
    2) Enter the recovery menu (with the phone off, press the power button + volume up + home at the same time). This mode is all low-level, which means it won't tap into Android at all. If your screen is still green at this point, then it's DEFINITELY a hardware issue.

Damn what you do to it

Run, do not walk to get a replacement!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I was sitting here using it as normal then all of a sudden the screen freakin fades to green and yellow. Pulled battery and everything, this is some bull, had it about 2 weeks!

Leave it off for about 10 min the turn it back on
    Is your phone rooted? Custom Rom?
    Try shaking the phone..it seems to still be working, but it just turns green

Might have to go get it replaced...email Samsung about this too!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

I had a line going through my screen yesterday. Took it to the warranty center here in Dallas. They called and ordered a replacement for me. I was at my door when I got home. Just return the phone. No one here can give you a remedy for s green screen on a brand new phone

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Good tips will do, now what if it starts working again?? Will I be able to return it if I show then the video I posted? Or will they not do anything if it starts working again?

Quote Originally Posted by icellphones32 View Post
    Good tips will do, now what if it starts working again?? Will I be able to return it if I show then the video I posted? Or will they not do anything if it starts working again?
    If you need to but do not leave without a replacement. Something is wrong with that phone.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

You won't have problems switching out the phone, even if you can't re-create the problem in the store. You may, however run into the fact that they might not have one on hand to give you. You might have to wait till they get more or go to another location. I'm not sure how limited the stock on S4's are right now.

Sorry to here about your phone, but all electronic products have a handful of defective units out of the box. At least it happened now and not 1yr down the line.

Call tmobile they will send you a new one next day for free. They will ask a couple questions then send you a new one. They will also send you a package to send your old one back for free

Galaxy S4 Hulk Edition?

I got up this morning to a nice green line through my S4 screen. I was royally, well, MAD. I've had this phone since April 27. Went to the AT&T store who said they can't do anything, they called the AT&T warranty/insurance who is now sending me a 'like new' phone. Again I was mad because they should have done a manager override at the store and just gave me a new one there. The AT&T warranty person also had Samsung ON the phone who wanted me to send my phone to them to determine if it is a defect...SERIOUSLY? I am not sending you my phone. I have not dropped the phone or anything nor gotten it wet....I've only had it for a little over 2 weeks.

This is very very very disappointing to me....the phone, the AT&T service, AND Samsung's attitude. I've been an apple person with several iPhones for years...I saw this phone and decided to make the switch! Now, wish I woudn't have. If this was an iPhone I would have just walked out of the apple store with a new phone, no questions asked. Anyway, when the new one comes in, I'll be selling it and buying an iPhone straight out when the newest iPhone comes out this year. So disappointed in Samsung and this phone.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

that's what happens when u smoke green to much hahahaha , sorry to here about your s4 brother
    DeepSeaGoddess likes this.

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

I just had the same issue Monday. They sent me a BRAND NEW PHONE. They don't have any refurbished ones yet. I will send you pictures if you want. Just go through with the exchange

Thanked by:

Good to know they don't have refurbished ones yet...I was not happy with the 'like new' comment she made. But really, I am very disappointed. I had SUCH high hopes for this phone...and being an apple iphone user for SO very long, was so excited to switch.

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

You will love the switch. Just got a defective phone. Look at all the goodies Google announced for us today. It will only get better

BigDinCA likes this.

Actually, I did a search last night and this is a problem with almost all Samsung products!! Google search this: 'samsung green line through the screen'. There are people with tvs, laptops, tablets, and prior versions of the Galaxy S phones have had this same exact problem several years back. So, this tells me, the Samsung person on the phone yesterday was probably very much aware of an issue and Samsung has not 'owned up' to an obvious defect in the screen technology. Wow, so no Samsung products for me.......EVER!!

Having previously worked in consumer electronics(Best Buy, Circuit City) for over 10 years as a tech and installer, I can tell you it's the same with all the brands, you just don't realize it. You'd be surprised at the amount of defective out the box product there is.

The Samsung rep on the phone might have legitimately not known about the issue. Just because you find it on the internet doesn't mean it's as wide spread as you think. It's been my experience that most manufacturers don't deny a problem once it's a well known issue. I myself, am aware of the green screen line problem but it is not a common issue, you may have a couple hundred people with the issue but considering they sell units in the high hundreds of thousands it's a very small percentage. Plus the issue with the green line is not related to the issue that the poster is having.

Problems like these are usually limited to a specific model and a specific manufacturing run. So only those made during a particular time frame are the only ones that are affected. And they happen with all brands.

All of the high profile phones right now(iphone 5, HTC One, S4, etc) have tons of internet chatter on all the problems that they are having. While some may be legitimately wide spread most are over exaggerated because of the ease at which someone can complain on the internet.
    Thanked by:

Yeah get that sucker replaced!

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    DeepSeaGoddess likes this.

Thank you for your reply Raymond Tan. It does put things more in perspective for me.

Received the replacement device yesterday and it is all setup and working. Hopefully I don't have any green lines appearing on this one.

I really do want to love this phone....I did love it for the first 2 weeks I had it.

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSeaGoddess View Post
    Actually, I did a search last night and this is a problem with almost all Samsung products!! Google search this: 'samsung green line through the screen'. There are people with tvs, laptops, tablets, and prior versions of the Galaxy S phones have had this same exact problem several years back. So, this tells me, the Samsung person on the phone yesterday was probably very much aware of an issue and Samsung has not 'owned up' to an obvious defect in the screen technology. Wow, so no Samsung products for me.......EVER!!
    I've been doing research about the HTC One and the GS4 because very soon I'll be upgrading to one of them (or the Note 3) and that line on the screen is not as widespread as you might think.

I have always used and still use Sony devices (VCRs, DVD players, TVs, Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Laptops, well you get the picture), about 2 months ago I got my first Smart TV which is a Samsung and thank God there's no problems with it. My two sisters have been using Samsung TVs since 2008 and recently also got smart TVs from Samsung and they're happy with them. They also had the Samsung Moment and now they have the GS3, never had any problems with those devices!

Anyway, the point is that I'm not a Samsung lover, if anything I'm a SONY lover! But I do like the quality of the Samsung products in my life. For that, I'm willing to give it a chance on my next phone purchase. There will always be defective products from every single brand out there, nothing we can do about it.

Just my 2

--------------------------------
    To the OP I say, do not hesitate and get that phone exchange right away! Don't even loose time here in the forums!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Hello! I have a similar problem. (for the 2nd time I might add). Last time my screen went haywire, I got lucky enough to get on again long enough for me to backup photos etc. This time not so lucky.. Windows sees it as a portable music player and shows no files and Kies requires it to be unlocked.. How can I get my photos from my phone without unlocking it?

Alternatively, could someone send me a picture of a S4 at the lock screen with PIN code as security measure. I believe the touch works fine, just don't know exactly where to press.

EDIT: After some trial and error, I managed to unlock the phone and copy my photos. (tried about 50 or so times). Will send it to get repaired now and then wait for it to happen again....
    Last edited by Lutador; 06-26-2013 at 07:26 AM.

There appears to be more than normal screen issues for the S4. This issue, the line bar and the burn in issue due to the chipset getting hot are the main issues. S3 did not have as many apparent issues, but the chipset does not run as hot either. First batch production run tolerance issues, or a potential design flaw?

Seems prudent to carry an extended warranty with the carrier for several months to see how this pans out. Might be a fluke.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast