1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Default I'm Having Issues Restoring Data from an HTC EVO 3D to the S4

Before I pulled the plug on my EVO 3D, I diligently backed up my data from several apps that I use on a regular basis. I backed up to my SD card and just assumed that once I inserted the SD card into the S4, it would be as simple as using the various apps restore command. For some reason, the apps are not able to locate the data files on the SD card. The files are there, but it's as if the path has changed. The apps unfortunately do not offer an option to browse for the backed up data files - they just use a default location.

Is there something about the way the SD card is being read in the S4 that is causing this? My pictures and docs are readable off the SD card, just not the backed up data files. Thanks.

Default Re: I'm Having Issues Restoring Data from an HTC EVO 3D to the S4

Could be that the info is from the 3D and the S4 can't read what ever format the 3D use. S4 is on latest Android with Touchwiz and 3D stuck on ICS with Sense. Different bases, possible different formats
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    Before I pulled the plug on my EVO 3D, I diligently backed up my data from several apps that I use on a regular basis. I backed up to my SD card and just assumed that once I inserted the SD card into the S4, it would be as simple as using the various apps restore command. For some reason, the apps are not able to locate the data files on the SD card. The files are there, but it's as if the path has changed. The apps unfortunately do not offer an option to browse for the backed up data files - they just use a default location.

Is there something about the way the SD card is being read in the S4 that is causing this? My pictures and docs are readable off the SD card, just not the backed up data files. Thanks.

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

I hadn't thought of that - and hopefully that's not the case. Two of the programs exported their back ups as csv files, so there shouldn't be a compatabilty isue there (hopefully.)

Quote Originally Posted by gotta have it android View Post
    Could be that the info is from the 3D and the S4 can't read what ever format the 3D use. S4 is on latest Android with Touchwiz and 3D stuck on ICS with Sense. Different bases, possible different formats

Keyword: hopefully. Maybe someone more experience with apps (maybe a dev) can shed some light. I just started getting into making apps my self so not sure what they would throw out. Have you backed up just the app data it self?
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    I hadn't thought of that - and hopefully that's not the case. Two of the programs exported their back ups as csv files, so there shouldn't be a compatabilty isue there (hopefully.)

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

No I know exactly what you're talking about. With an SD card, the Galaxy gets tricky.

Plug your phone in. Open both the SD card folder and the Phone folder. One is external memory and the other internal. Check all the saved stuff on the SD card. Go ahead and move data files over to the Phone side to the appropriate location.

For example, gameloft games were stored in SD/Android/obb/ etc.... I would move those files to Phone/Android/obb/etc.
    The problem is that app data can't really be on SD card. There are some issues with that.

I'm not entirely sure... but try that out. It should work.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

I tried moving the data to the appropriate sub folders under "phone". However, it looks like the apps are still looking for the restored data on the SD card, because I continue to receive the "no file found error" when attempting to restore.