Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default From iPhone to Android

I've read a lot from other people converting and I feel like I gotta chime in. I've owned an iPhone since 2009 and got my galaxy s4 a week ago. Except for my macbook not wanting to talk to it the transition has been painless. I've even surpassed my friends who have had android for years with what I know about my device. It's simple stuff folks, the interface is easy, there is plenty of help online when you do get confused...it's just not the pain in the **** people claim. The best advice I can give is when you want to do something and can't find the option to do it hit the menu button next to the home button. I do that in every app and this phone does everything I want and works as advertised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: From iPhone to Android

I'm really glad you like it. You are probably gonna face some frustrations at some point being new to android but thats just what happens when you move to a new os.

Posted via Android Central App

Good post. I'm switching soon also. I'm just waiting for Verizon to ship mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA86 View Post
    I've read a lot from other people converting and I feel like I gotta chime in. I've owned an iPhone since 2009 and got my galaxy s4 a week ago. Except for my macbook not wanting to talk to it the transition has been painless. I've even surpassed my friends who have had android for years with what I know about my device. It's simple stuff folks, the interface is easy, there is plenty of help online when you do get confused...it's just not the pain in the **** people claim. The best advice I can give is when you want to do something and can't find the option to do it hit the menu button next to the home button. I do that in every app and this phone does everything I want and works as advertised.

I applaud you for not being lazy when it comes to trouble shooting. Unfortunately, the majority of people are which is why Apple excels.....IMO of course!

Just switched myself from iphone5 to the 32gb S4. It only been four days but so far I like the S4 a lot better.

lpt2569 and MikeA86 like this.

I am a recent switch from iphone as well. Aside from a few gripes (no autocorrect after space, no phone auto-mute when connected to bluetooth headphones, how email layout handles multiple accounts, no text by wifi, etc), overall I am extremely pleased with the S4.
    Last edited by Ameer Nuub; 05-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.

If you want autocorrect after hitting the space bar, use SwiftKey. You should be using SwiftKey anyhow, most people agree it's the best keyboard avaliable.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Sanjay Chandra and brick58 like this.

OP i'm right there with you. Had an iPhone for 4 years. Made the switch to S4 and got my S4 up and running with all my contacts and music and set up how i wanted in a few hours. Plus i'm still learning things here and there which make this phone better every day.

No regrets!
    MikeA86 likes this.

iPhone user since 2008. I like the S4, but there are a couple things I'm going to have to get used to: Photo library was a little labour intensive to set up, I have an ISP that doesn't have a cellular/mobile SMTP available so I have to manually switch the SMTP address everytime use WiFi (iPhone allowed multiple smtp) and the battery life...whoah. I've used 20% this morning and I've only checked the phone half a dozen times. And Kies is no iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDDevil2112 View Post
    If you want autocorrect after hitting the space bar, use SwiftKey. You should be using SwiftKey anyhow, most people agree it's the best keyboard avaliable.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    I want to tap to type, and don't want to swipe from letter to letter... does swiftkey support autocorrect after space from conventional tap-typing?
    Last edited by Ameer Nuub; 05-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I've never really understood that claim by Apple users. Android has the main things set up right in front of u as well. Just plain laziness by most users. Applaud you for being the rare find.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

It took a while for me to use the S4 coming from day 1 iPhone.
    I tried to use the s4 like I would the iPhone and that did not go well. With time I got myself using features I never used Before like the Notifacation center.
    The toggles are so quick and easy. Just wonderful.
    I love touch wiz and widgets
    I miss the visual voicemail and a few other things ( using apps) and I did keep my iPhone5 but I can not imagine not having the big screen. I love the battery life and faster processor (I like fast) too
    I also got the view flip cover and man that is the coolest accesorie can't wait for pink
    Overall I am not comparing I like both and can't wait for the iP5s but at this time I prefer the S4

Quote Originally Posted by slimmer1972 View Post
    And Kies is no iTunes.
    Unfortunately, this is true. However, there are a ton of options for migrating your music in Android. The best thing about the entire OS is the complete freedom that it allows. You won't feel like your trapped in a "apple-shaped box" anymore. Good luck to you.

You could try this for visual voice mail. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata Rina View Post
    It took a while for me to use the S4 coming from day 1 iPhone.
    I tried to use the s4 like I would the iPhone and that did not go well. With time I got myself using features I never used Before like the Notifacation center.
    The toggles are so quick and easy. Just wonderful.
    I love touch wiz and widgets
    I miss the visual voicemail and a few other things ( using apps) and I did keep my iPhone5 but I can not imagine not having the big screen. I love the battery life and faster processor (I like fast) too
    I also got the view flip cover and man that is the coolest accesorie can't wait for pink
    Overall I am not comparing I like both and can't wait for the iP5s but at this time I prefer the S4

Quote Originally Posted by Ameer Nuub View Post
    I want to tap to type, and don't want to swipe from letter to letter... does swiftkey support autocorrect after space from conventional tap-typing?
    Yes, SwiftKey Flow (the Swype style typing) is actually fairly new; SwiftKey is popular for its strong autocorrect and prediction features and has been known for this before the swype style typing was even introduced. Personally if you want swipe typing, the regular Swype keyboard works better, but SwiftKey is the best tap typing keyboard you can get.

It even auto spaces words. You can miss spell two words, not put a space between both misspelled words, and swift key will still (usually) correct BOTH words AND separate them with a space. It's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Thanked by:

I am also moving from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and just have a quick question: I don't have a lot of music but do use iTunes for podcasts..... is there an Android app anyone can recommend that will make this part of the transition easier? Thank in advance
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by slimmer1972 View Post
    I've used 20% this morning and I've only checked the phone half a dozen times. And Kies is no iTunes.
    Kies is no iTunes but Google play music app is pretty close. In the end I went to kies to keep music on my phone but Google to hand my whole library available.
    And the battery fades from 100% quick but didn't seem to drain as fast once it gets neat 70%. That could just be in my mind though

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McDougall View Post
    I am also moving from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and just have a quick question: I don't have a lot of music but do use iTunes for podcasts..... is there an Android app anyone can recommend that will make this part of the transition easier? Thank in advance
    Scott, the Google play store has several Podcast APPS that might do what you want. Can't recommend one however since I never do Podcasts.

There a tons of free apps that will take care of it for you. Most have a built in search functions to find the podcasts you're looking for, but they aren't nearly as robust as iTunes. You'll have to hunt down the RSS addresses for those the search doesn't find, but once you get everything set up, you'll be good to go. I personally like Podcast Addict. It auto-downloads and auto-queues. You can put a widget on your homescreen and get everythign going with one touch.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by tohio View Post
    Scott, the Google play store has several Podcast APPS that might do what you want. Can't recommend one however since I never do Podcasts.

The other phone

Samsung has SmartSwitch

As a previous iPhone user and once prior Android user I can say the Android was not always assure friendly s it currently is. The reason things are for the most part a smooth transition is that Android stopped reinventing their so with every version. Instead they finally started refining and not reinventing.

This has brought a missing level of maturity and in some cases sophistication to the OS.

As a previous iOS user the main difference today is about choice, android gives you choice, iOS is so refined it does not allow for choice it then again it doesn't necessarily need it for most users as what they give you out of the box makes for a pretty fantastic user centered experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I switched from the 4S to the S4 about two weeks ago.

There are a few things I think the iphone does better, like the visual voicemail. The iphone has some built in functionality that the androids don't.

I also hate to hear "there's an app for that". I have gone that route for some things like the typing auto-correction, but I wish I didn't have to. The one positive is that the apps seem to integrate almost seamlessly with android phones, that wasn't the case with the iphone.

Overall, I'm liking the S4 better than the iphone.

can you tell me how to delete podcasts? I can't figure it out

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EMY92 View Post
    I switched from the 4S to the S4 about two weeks ago.

There are a few things I think the iphone does better, like the visual voicemail. The iphone has some built in functionality that the androids don't.

I also hate to hear "there's an app for that". I have gone that route for some things like the typing auto-correction, but I wish I didn't have to. The one positive is that the apps seem to integrate almost seamlessly with android phones, that wasn't the case with the iphone.

Overall, I'm liking the S4 better than the iphone.
    The visual voicemail of the iPhone is awesome, I miss that as well. The mail app is light years better as well. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my S4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ladyc0524 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brick58 View Post
    can you tell me how to delete podcasts? I can't figure it out
    Are you downloading them or streaming them? Get ES File Explorer. Look for the folder of your podcast app. Look in it for podcasts. Long press the podcast files. At the bottom tap the option to delete.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast