1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 Google Edition Official

Nexus-like experience on the S4. 16GB with SD expansion. Unlocked with LTE for AT&T and T-Mobile. $649 from the Play Store on June 26th. Any takers?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Google Edition Official

I want it to be on Verizon so bad why no Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prophelic View Post
    I want it to be on Verizon so bad why no Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Wow. This could make me switch to T mobile. Ugh why not VZW!!!!

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Awesome. This should end the Nexus 4 vs S4 debates.

~S

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

If you are on AT&T or T-mobile and just bought a S4 I would return that ******* as fast as possible.

Hopefully I will be able to root and get this..most likely I will anyways lol
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Quote Originally Posted by Parafly View Post
    If you are on AT&T or T-mobile and just bought a S4 I would return that ******* as fast as possible.
    For what? They save money with the carrier subsidy and they'll be able to flash a stock ROM on the 23rd if they want stock JellyBean. You're already locked into the phone, you may as well keep it. It's not like Samsung is a disaster when it comes to updates.

I'd be pissed though if I bought an unlocked 16GB S4 for $700+ unlocked. Hell I'm pissed because I have to buy an S4 now when I called myself being slick and pulled some strings to get one free.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I feel bad for the Sonys/HTCs/LGs of the world.

Nope. Changed my mind. Wouldn't make sense to get this. Bootloader will be unlocked before this drops and we'll be able to flash anything this phone will have. I remember last year they supposed to had a developer S3 and never happened. This will happen but only geeks are interested. General consumers aren't spending 650 on a device. They typically hold on to whatever they are using until they can upgrade. But geeks will also be into flashing the current S4 and with this having the same hardware it'll be easier to port ROMs that it would have been without. So no thank you. It's good for choice though and good for the dev community and everyone else who already has an S4 that will be into flashing and tweaking.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Nope. Changed my mind. Wouldn't make sense to get this. Bootloader will be unlocked before this drops and we'll be able to flash anything this phone will have. I remember last year they supposed to had a developer S3 and never happened. This will happen but only geeks are interested. General consumers aren't spending 650 on a device. They typically hold on to whatever they are using until they can upgrade. But geeks will also be into flashing the current S4 and with this having the same hardware it'll be easier to port ROMs that it would have been without. So no thank you. It's good for choice though and good for the dev community and everyone else who already has an S4 that will be into flashing and tweaking.
    Right once they release AOSP you will be able to get the identical experience on your existing device. If you are comfortable with rooting.

Plus though is now you don't need CM or some other ROM you can get stock AOSP.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    How many general consumers do you see walking around with a Nexus 4? Because this version of the S4 will only be available through the same channel as it.

It's only meant for Android purists who have been bellyaching for stock android running on something other than a Google inspired device, and that's the point. There's no incentive for anyone else really.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

There was zero doubt in my mind that this would get the same "meh" reaction that the S4 got originally. Even if you strip away Touchwiz, offer Nexus-like updates, unlock the phone, and offer it for comparable prices to other high-end devices, you're going to get people who complain still. It's actually amusing.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    How many general consumers do you see walking around with a Nexus 4? Because this version of the S4 will only be available through the same channel as it.

It's only meant for Android purists who have been bellyaching for stock android running on something other than a Google inspired device, and that's the point. There's no incentive for anyone else really.
    I don't disagree with you. But there are people that think this is going to sell millions because Samsung now has this device. And there are plenty of people that think pure Android can sell a lot and this is the ticket. So again, I don't disagree with you but I'm sure Samsung and Google have plans on selling a lot. This is most likely why this device is coming out by Samsung because they are the only one that could sell a boatload of anything. But I agree with you in that, the same channel is going to result in similar results because people don't care as much as some think they do.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Global Posts
    11,759 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

I see that lots of folks are excited about the Google edition of the S4. Let's try to keep the threads from multiplying and keep the discussion in one place.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Sent from my Nexus 4