Question about the new Google S4 and T-Mobile

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile says their phones become unlocked after a month. Does this mean that I will be able to use a T-Mobile S4 I purchase today as a Google S4 (receiving stock Android and direct software updates from Google) come June 26?

Or is the hardware of the current S4 and the Google S4 not identical?

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
No. If you buy an S4 from a carrier it's a Samsung device w/ TouchWiz, and you'll get updates through Samsung. The "Google Edition S4" is the only Galaxy S4 with stock and Google updates. Hardware is identical, software is different.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No. If you buy an S4 from a carrier it's a Samsung device w/ TouchWiz, and you'll get updates through Samsung. The "Google Edition S4" is the only Galaxy S4 with stock and Google updates. Hardware is identical, software is different.

This is what I was trying to say in the other thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/279246-phone-wars-over-samsung-just-won.html

I'm with you that these devices are mostly for enthusiasts and I was pointing that out. But that doesn't stop some from going overboard LOL

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking ha nothing to do with the software. The unlocking you're talking about is related to the wireless.

The IMEI of your handset is tied to being updated by Samsung, and there's nothing you can do to change that.