Galaxy S4 and playing music via usb in my car

kcough

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Since there is no mass storage option available is there any option other than using the headphone jack to get my music from my S4 to my car stereo? I don't have bluetooth in this truck so that is out.

Surely there is some fix or Samsung will realize only having MTP is not working for many people.

I even tried mounting an SD card in the phone and putting some music on it but it won't recognize that I guess.

Any ideas or near future updates other than using the headphone out jack?

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the iBolt car dock which has a Usb cable that attaches to the dock. The other end has Usb/ audio 3.5mn jack on the other end. It works great.

Posted via Android Central App

isaac_laketownss

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The problem with using a 3.5 mini jack is the sound output is an analog signal. I have a Sony Xav-701HD in my car and I have been on and off the phone with Sony and Samsung and the conclusion they have come to us the driver on the deck can't keep up with the phone. They said hopefully there will be an update on the deck that allows compatibility between the two. I am going to try running it through a HDMI to USB converter. I'll keep you posted with the results.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Tunelink will also work. I think best buy sells them or order online. I used it in my previous car and it worked perfectly.

Posted via Android Central App

CharGP02A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an S4 and an audio cable that goes from the headphone jack to the car. When I turn the car on and go to the audio mode, it doesn't play my music, would you know why that is? I put my music in my music folder. My car is a 2012 Toyota Carolla LE if that matters.

The Royaloak

May 11, 2013
Visit site
TS is your car happens to be a Mercedes? It won't work without the adaptor for samsung. Another adaptor for iphone

It's nothing to do w the phone. It's really a problem w mercedes poorly designed interface or downright design to make us pay the extra premium.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Android Central Forums

aaroneb#AC

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
See if this works with the S4. They say it does.

SG USB Mass Storage Enabler
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mohammadag.samsungusbmassstorageenabler

Took me a month and half of having this Galaxy S4 to figure it out but on top of the Mass Storage Emulator you also have to format the MicroSD card as FAT32 I used this tool found on this page How to format 64gb micro sd card to Fat32 to work on SGS3 - Page 2 - xda-developers
scroll down about half way down the page guiformat.zip I did some research apparently the galaxy formats it exfat by default and most media players only recognize FAT32 partitions, phone still accepts it as well. It does require a root though, not for the format but for the emulator. Just make sure to back up the data on it before you do the format then just put it back on afterwords. On mine the it works mp3s still plays even if I am on the phone with my bluetooth.

Daring Mr Hanky

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the iBolt but my phone won't play music through the audio cable just out of the phones speaker. The phone charges but doesn't send the audio out..... Did you have to turn on any settings or did it just work for you?

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

mootcat

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Does this Mass storage app just run on the phone or do you also have to load it into the truck somehow? Do you know if they say it will work with HTC One?

jqz

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
The problem with using a 3.5 mini jack is the sound output is an analog signal.
Sound is an analog signal, period. It must be converted to analog at some point. I use a 3.5 mini jack to connect my laptop to my hi-fi system and the audio quality is excellent. I can only conclude that your Sony Xav-701HD has a substandard circuit in the analog audio-in, or your Samsung Galaxy S4 has a substandard circuit in the analog audio-out, or both.
The only drawback I can realistically see of using the 3.5 jack, given sufficient quality equipment, is that you might need two cables: one for audio, and one for charging.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance