No text wrap in the browser??

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I pinch to zoom in my One X browser and it rewraps instantly. I can blow text up so a paragraph is only a few words wide if I really want to get nuts!
I was just at AT&T and 3 of us could not find that option anywhere on the GS4! Please tell me it's there and I am just missing it!

From my HTC One X running ViperXL 3.2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Text wrapping does not work on the stock browser. You will have download Opera mobile from the play store, which has text wrapping.

cohenville

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It appears that the Galaxy S4 is not text wrap (word wrap) capable. I upgraded recently from the HTC Thunderbolt to the S4, and was surprised to find that there is no text wrap. The Thunderbolt was 2 years old, so it's beyond me why Samsung can't accomplish what HTC has been doing for years. So, as you say, no word wrap in Gmail. But also, no word wrap in the stock Internet browser. In fact, I have installed a host of browsers, including Opera, Opera Mini, Dolphin, Dolphin Browser, Chrome and Maxthon, most of which boast the word wrap feature. However, word wrap doesn't work for any of them in the S4. I spoke with Verizon tech support who had no clue about this issue. I also called Samsung tech support - same result, although they did tell me that since the Galaxy has an Android Operating System, it is up to Google to solve the problem. I don't know if that is the case or not. I find next to nothing about this issue on the Internet. I guess it will take many people compaining about it to get Samsung to include this in an upcoming software upgrade. Please let me know if you hear of anything else on this issue. Thanks.

cohenville

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Firefox word wraps on the s4 and supports flash. It's my go to browser. I got comfortable with word wrap on my old HTC Rezound.

That's encouraging. However, I installed Firefox and it seems to behave the same as the other browsers. In settings, I made sure "Pinch to resize text" was checked. I didn't see any other word wrap-related options in settings. So, when I am viewing an article (I tried several different sites), I pinch and stretch. The text starts to stretch and then bounces right back to the same size. If I triple tap, then I can stretch the text so that the font is much bigger. However, there is no resizing to adjust to the screen size, so that the only way to read a whole sentence is to scroll from side to side. Maybe (I'm hoping) I'm missing something?:-:confused:

GorillaDaGoon

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I went from early htc phone s really early like htc apache era to the htc evo 3d all the android phones had text rewrap. When I went to Samsung with the s2 on Sprint text rewrap was on the s2 very shortly. After the first update rewrap was gone and I missed it ever since. It makes no sense to not have it these days in the default browser. Now I have a htc one and I am glad to have text rewrap again.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
HTC seems to be the only one that cares about word wrapping. :( Google doesn't have it in Chrome (mobile), their pride and joy.

Several browsers, including the default and Chrome, do have an option to control the default zoom level under Settings/Accessibility. You can say 150%, and it will generally zoom to that level, and word wrap. A few related settings there as well.

Fortunately the default S4 browser and Chrome allow you to zoom any pages, even those not zoom-able by default, which some browsers wont do (also in settings; alas, w/o word-wrap).

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Possible options: Firefox and Dolphin browsers have plug-ins that offer some zooming options. I know Firefox has a plugin to allow zoom on all pages, and Dolphin has a text-size plugin that allows setting per page.

The triple-tap that cohenville mentioned sounds like general Accessibility tool in Android, not really specific to browsers, that will zoom into any screens, but only to pan around in afterward.

declanmagee

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree,
The lack of text wrap really miffed me off, and was spoiling my whole S4 experience.
I have started using the Opera browser, not the mini version, and it is excellent.
So , chrome is deleted and I no longer use the stock browser.

I still cant believe the S4 hasn't got text wrap.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Boat Browser has a text wrap function in both mobile and desktop UA modes BUT you have to turn it on in Settings/Labs. Could be true in the other browsers too.

Last edited:

cindylee60

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I also REALLY miss the text reflow in the s4. I like the stock browser because I like the air gestures, but I sure wish they would fix the reflow issue. It's about the only thing I don't like about the phone :(

mrBMando

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that the current Opera browser has a very functional and effective word /text wrap.

Posted via Android Central App

RgnKjnVA

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried the Opera browser but its double-tap-drag mechanic doesn't work on all web pages and I can't find an Accessibility setting to override webpages' zoom constraints like in Chrome. I can't believe this is even a problem! So aggravating to drop something so important to mobile browsing, wth?!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar