Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Weatherbug live wallpaper uses 5MB every update

So I was wondering why weatherbug was using roughly 120MB daily and it was because live wallpaper was set to update hourly and each update downloads 5 to 10 megabytes!

I set it to 3 hour updates and set the main app to refresh weather widget every 1 hour that only takes 1MB

Just thought I would share for those with capped data like me 5GB.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Weatherbug live wallpaper uses 5MB every update

We in IT consider Weatherbug to be a virus/malware. That's all I'll say 'bout that.

Just curious but what's the reason you need the weather updated so often on the home screen? Certain line of work or something? I'm just wondering because I just check the weather once in the morning and I'm good for the day LOL.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Just curious but what's the reason you need the weather updated so often on the home screen? Certain line of work or something? I'm just wondering because I just check the weather once in the morning and I'm good for the day LOL.
    Just personal preference. I have a widget on my lock screen that updates once an hour. I don't mind knowing the temp out but I do also have unlimited data so not to much to worry about.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Just personal preference. I have a widget on my lock screen that updates once an hour. I don't mind knowing the temp out but I do also have unlimited data so not to much to worry about.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Yeah I was wondering if there was something more than personal preference especially considering the toll it could have on battery and data. But hey, to each it's own LOL.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Quote Originally Posted by decepticlone View Post
    We in IT consider Weatherbug to be a virus/malware. That's all I'll say 'bout that.
    I don't and won't touch Weatherbug ever since their PC app gave my PC a nasty virus that almost killed it. Installing it was fine. It was when I attempted to uninstall it that the app-Nazis unleashed their Malware stormtroopers. Ain't touching it. I stick with Weather Underground, first choice, or pretty much anything else, 2nd choice. But don't touch Weatherbug. They may have changed, but I don't want any part of any company who thought it appropriate to do something like that at any time, even though my incident was quite some time ago.
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    well it is nice to get weather alerts before it happens, like thunderstorms, flood warnings, lightning storm, hail etc. i believe that data isn't "pushed" to the phone but rather downloaded at the specified interval so hourly is good for that.

the live wallpaper shows huge area several states so i guess that doesn't need hourly you can see the storm fronts already, its just cool too see what is coming your way i guess

Mine updates hourly and I only do that from march to oct due to storm season, I like to get my watches and warnings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for sharing, I have got my own solution