Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By clintw22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Launchers

Hey so I've never used launchers before. It looks like apex or nova r the most common. Can anyone that knows about those lay out some pros and/or cons about them, or maybe even using a launcher at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

Default Re: Launchers

Quote Originally Posted by Flashheatmvp3 View Post
    Hey so I've never used launchers before. It looks like apex or nova r the most common. Can anyone that knows about those lay out some pros and/or cons about them, or maybe even using a launcher at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Pros of using launchers:

• More to unlimited customization options
    • Provides more homescreen functionality
    • Many are free and offer all sorts of features
    • Wide variety to choose from

Cons of using launchers:

• Some are not compatible with certain devices
    • A few are highly overpriced. (Especially Next Launcher)
    • Some are known to lock up the phone occasionally

Also, concerning Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher, both are based on the stock ICS/Jelly Bean launchers and offer more customization features such as changing app icons as well as renaming apps, unlimited homescreens, gesture controls, and the usual cosmetic changes. Try each of them on your handset before choosing which one is right for you, as both launchers, similar as they are, have varying performance and may work well on some devices and poorly on others. You need to be aware that the mentioned launchers are only usable on 4.x.x devices.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

I have ADW it was free and works great

Gestures is one of my favorite features... I can set it to swipe up and go to the home page, two finger swipe to do something else, all kinds of options. Plus you can add multiple dock pages at the bottom of the screen... and another favorite is to change the number of icons on a page, I don't even remember what the normal grid is because I have mine set to portrait grid of 5 x 6.

I have used Nova for a while, and now I'm really enjoying Apex... both of which I believe were created starting with at least 4.x ADW and Go Launcher, and a few others have been around before 4.x and have some legacy code to work with older versions of Android... nothing wrong with that... I have used each, but I still really prefer Apex right now... just my personal preference.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Can you just delete the app to return to stock and then try another one?

Posted via Android Central App

I didn't know there was any Cons to using Launchers.

I upgrade every 6 months so comparability isn't an issue. I've been using Nova Launcher Prime for 7 months and haven't had any of issues.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Does using a launcher impact battery lifer at all

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie PT View Post
    Can you just delete the app to return to stock and then try another one?

Yep if u delete it it goes back to touchwiz. Or you could download a app called homesmack which let's you jump from one to the other.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Android Central Forums
    Running CyanogenMod 10 on my rooted Galaxy S3!
    Thanked by:
    Aggie PT likes this.

I am interested in the features people really care about from their launcher. Fatboy97 mentioned gestures, what about other people? For Linpus Launcher (disclosure: i work there) we do have gestures for free. Also a lot of transitions and an additional shortcut panel. I am curious whether people are interested in having more opportunities to shortcut?

GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those little red #'s on individual App icons like on iOS) are of big importance to me & since only Nova supports them, I currently need to stick with that Launcher.
    I own Apex & ADW both of which are similar to Nova in several ways but without GLOBAL Badge Notifications I can't use them as my primary Launcher.

I tired a few of the free ones and Nova is my personal favorite. In fact I just upgraded to premium today because I was so pleased with the functionality and UI. Worth my $4.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Apex is my favorite because of the ease of use and the customablity to the screens. There's a lot of themes to each launcher as well so nobody's phone will look like anyone else's.
    Motorola Q > Blackberry Pearl > Blackberry Storm > Blackberry Storm 2 > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Note 2

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clintw22 View Post
    Yep if u delete it it goes back to touchwiz. Or you could download a app called homesmack which let's you jump from one to the other.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks for the info.

Do you just search and download these launchers on the Play Store? Is there a specific section where all the launchers are located?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxterzz View Post
    Do you just search and download these launchers on the Play Store? Is there a specific section where all the launchers are located?
    Just look up 'Launchers' on the play store and it'll bring up the most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by DioramaMaker View Post
    Just look up 'Launchers' on the play store and it'll bring up the most popular.
    "Most popular" doesn't always mean best though...*cough cough* GO Dev products! *cough cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    "Most popular" doesn't always mean best though...*cough cough* GO Dev products! *cough cough*
    More frequently purchased ones TEND to be of better quality, you can't deny that - it's a good place to start as most have free versions. On that same note I definitely am not a Go Dev fan either, but to each their own - plus GO launcher is the sixth thing listed when launcher is searched, so it's not like it isn't receiving attention (unfortunately). I think the generic search brings up a lot of good stuff, and if he wants to delve further he can follow the recommended links Google Play offers in the side bar to find the more obscure items.

You don't even have to delete the launcher, just clear the default action for the launcher app, which then prompts you the next time you hit home. You can switch between multiple launchers quickly and without much fuss.

As for battery use...it's not much, my phone is at 47%, and Nova launcher is showing as responsible for .33% of the used up juice. Provided the stats are right, that's effectively zero.

Sent from my SCH-I200

Hello I noticed u had the same model galaxy s4 I did r970 us cellular n I was wondering if u could help me I cant find no roms compatible plz let me know

Clint22