Gallery: Sorting Albums by Date

fender4645

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm coming from a stock Nexus 4 so I'm not sure if this is something I'm missing as it was standard/default on my N4. When I open the Gallery app to view photos, the albums are sorted by name and not by date. The camera roll is always first but everything I've uploaded to Picasa is sorted by name. Anyway to get this sorted by date (newest first)? Thanks!

fender4645

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Bump.

Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying when I want to look at pictures I've recently uploaded. I know there's a "Time" view but that takes forever to load and it's just a flat list of pictures (not in albums). I'd go for a third-party app but the Gallery app is much more integrated into the OS.

sainthooligan

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Bump.

Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying when I want to look at pictures I've recently uploaded. I know there's a "Time" view but that takes forever to load and it's just a flat list of pictures (not in albums). I'd go for a third-party app but the Gallery app is much more integrated into the OS.
I'm actually thinking of using a bulk file renamer that will let me take the filename (yyyymmdd and time) and write it to the exif or date created data, but it may even sort by the date modified(which I think it does because my vids were the last to be copied, since they were the largest and they all are displayed first)...anyhow if the modified date is the case then that blows the whole idea out of the water. I have about 2,000 pics I transferred...so may try a couple...

Anyway, I recently upgraded to a 64gb card on my S4 and the sorting order was way beyond screwy when I copied all my pics over....I ended up downloading quickpic from the app store, it allows for sorting by name and I now have pics in just about any order I want. Though I hate using a different app, it is what it is for now. You can always (a) hide the app from the app menu and (b) set quickpic - or whatever app- as the default for most items.
I'm still going to try a couple of things, if I find anything I'll post - please do if you do as well. I'd like to get this figured so the stock app is better used...

fender4645

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I never found a real replacement. I grabbed quickpic as well and while it's great for local pics, it doesn't integrate with your Picasa/Google+ picture library.

sainthooligan

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I never found a real replacement. I grabbed quickpic as well and while it's great for local pics, it doesn't integrate with your Picasa/Google+ picture library.

Okay- here's an update to this http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/280058-gallery-sorting-albums-date.html#post2868487...i know you're looking more at a picasa/google+ fix, but maybe this will offer some insight to sorting...and offer some help to someone else that has my issue with the gallery sorting.
Since my gallery went screwy after upgrading my sdcard, I have come to discover that windows automatically stamps a "date created" time any time a file is copied. When you copy these to your s4, it changes the order because of when they created actually now reflects the time the file was copied ( I won't get into the technical aspects, but trying to keep it simple).
So, point is - I believe the sort is by the created time, not necessarily filename.
I used this bulk renamer Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility and it allowed me to change ONLY the exif data for "date created"
(Drag and drop files, highlight them all, select Options > Extract > Exif data, then from the Options > Timestamp > select "Taken" for each > "OK" , then "Rename" at bottom right).
This allows the "date taken" to become the created date, if a date taken is present.
The next step is to use a variant of the lesser-known windows included utility "Robocopy" . I used RichCopy from Joshua Hoffman- a free Utility: RichCopy, an Advanced Alternative to RoboCopy. This basically copies the files from one place to another keeping the timestamps in place.
The only problem I found with this is that not all pics I had were timestamped with the taken time, so some I'll have to adjust based upon the filename. Those pictures were still visible in the time nearest the "creation" or time copied.
(if the files are initially copied OFF a card with RichCopy, there would be no need to rename and RichCopy could be used to transfer to another card without changes in sorting)....
Not sure at what point you uploaded your files to picasa/google+ in the phone switch, but I'm thinking the date created has something do with your issue as well. I'm not a google+/picasa person, so I can't offer much more. I Hope that helps.

EDIT: 1 more thing- have you tried to go sort your pics in picasa (web) then on your phone, clear the gallery app cache and try to access again from your phone and see if it "re-sorts" for you?

deji ladunni

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I just tried this and it worked...i removed my sd card and put it in my old blackberry then i copied the folder I wanted to it from the pc. I then put the memory card back and my pictures are now sorted to date created in the android gallery.

ahura999

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay- here's an update to this http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/280058-gallery-sorting-albums-date.html#post2868487...i know you're looking more at a picasa/google+ fix, but maybe this will offer some insight to sorting...and offer some help to someone else that has my issue with the gallery sorting.
Since my gallery went screwy after upgrading my sdcard, I have come to discover that windows automatically stamps a "date created" time any time a file is copied. When you copy these to your s4, it changes the order because of when they created actually now reflects the time the file was copied ( I won't get into the technical aspects, but trying to keep it simple).
So, point is - I believe the sort is by the created time, not necessarily filename.
I used this bulk renamer Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility and it allowed me to change ONLY the exif data for "date created"
(Drag and drop files, highlight them all, select Options > Extract > Exif data, then from the Options > Timestamp > select "Taken" for each > "OK" , then "Rename" at bottom right).
This allows the "date taken" to become the created date, if a date taken is present.
The next step is to use a variant of the lesser-known windows included utility "Robocopy" . I used RichCopy from Joshua Hoffman- a free Utility: RichCopy, an Advanced Alternative to RoboCopy. This basically copies the files from one place to another keeping the timestamps in place.
The only problem I found with this is that not all pics I had were timestamped with the taken time, so some I'll have to adjust based upon the filename. Those pictures were still visible in the time nearest the "creation" or time copied.
(if the files are initially copied OFF a card with RichCopy, there would be no need to rename and RichCopy could be used to transfer to another card without changes in sorting)....
Not sure at what point you uploaded your files to picasa/google+ in the phone switch, but I'm thinking the date created has something do with your issue as well. I'm not a google+/picasa person, so I can't offer much more. I Hope that helps.

EDIT: 1 more thing- have you tried to go sort your pics in picasa (web) then on your phone, clear the gallery app cache and try to access again from your phone and see if it "re-sorts" for you?

Hey, i did the first part of renaming... but now, how do i get the renamed files back onto my sd card in my GS4? Rich copy doesnt show my gs4 plugged in. it shows hard drive, an sd card which is plugged into the laptop, the dvd drive and desktop.

sainthooligan

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey, i did the first part of renaming... but now, how do i get the renamed files back onto my sd card in my GS4? Rich copy doesnt show my gs4 plugged in. it shows hard drive, an sd card which is plugged into the laptop, the dvd drive and desktop.

I had unmounted the card from my phone and then put the card in my computer, copied with rich copy then put back in the phone.

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

So do I just need to do step 1 or do I have to do both? Might be a dumb question but just a little confused

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge