Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Galaxy s4 battery life

Are you doing any media streaming with your phone, such as bluetooth streaming audio, or sending audio to another device? Not sure what normally "media server" represents. perhaps google music sync, though I would think that would show up as google music or google services.

I would look into each and every application that you use and checking out the settings. Making sure each one is tweaked to sync how you want it and the right intervals. I've been tinkering with some changes and recently got 5 hours screen time and 2 days total life. This was with auto brightness and sync on all the time. I think it would save a lot of juice to disable sync before going to bed. And additionally to manually set your screen brightness based on your location with the most use (light).
    My next trial is setting the screen brightness to manual (lowest at home) and determining the best manual brightness in light. For outdoors I set the brightness slider (in the pull down) to the middle of the second 'quick square above.'
    So far I'm at 8hr on bat. w/ 85% left

Cool Re: Galaxy s4 battery life

This is a very good battery life but to make it longer hold the home button for long and then swipe on e everything until there is nothing

Also turn off your Bluetooth that helps

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radiocaf View Post
    Thanks for the tips Dwight Spencer.

The best battery life I got was yesterday, my phone managed not far over 1 day, 13 hours and 10 minutes before dying. This was with a screen on time of 2 hours and 43 minutes. The main drain was "device idle" at 14%, other than the screen (which took 52%) which was the main drain. My settings, in case anyone is interested are Air View, Smart Scroll, Bluetooth and GPS off. Everything else (Wi-Fi, Smart Screen, Air Gesture, etc) was on and not switched off at all. My screen was set for auto brightness for the most of that time too, but now I have it manually set to just over half brightness.

The mediaserver process I found to be eating a sizable chunk of my battery has now stopped, but I don't know how or why it was stopped, it just happened. It tends to take a lot of battery for around 3 minutes after you boot up the phone, and then it doesn't seem to operate at all. I did disable Google Play Music though, but this was a couple of days before I noticed mediaserver no longer eating at my battery, CPU Spy told me that a lot of the processes of mediaserver are "audioout" and "audioin" so maybe this is how the phone outputs and inputs sound?. Maps was a bad one too, even with GPS off, it would still use a lot of battery, I had to physically open Maps and turn off the setting that kept your location up to date constantly (its near the top in the settings menu in Maps.) Now it doesn't show on my battery information screen.

Right now, my battery is at 46%, with an uptime of 19 hours 48 minutes, and my screen has been on for 1 hour 15 minutes. So I guess it's all down to how much you use your phone. I know my habits have changed, I'm not so much a power user any more, as I try to consciously conserve battery life, unlike when I had my iPhone 4. I'll still use it for all that I want, but for not as long as I used to with my iPhone. I use MightyText to SMS (of which I do A LOT) to save screen on time when I am able to be on the laptop, and my facebook/internet/etc scrolling is as minimal as possible. It's a shame, the phone is possibly the best I've ever had (and I've had a lot), but I fear using it in case my battery ends up limping or dying by the time I get home and charge it again.
    Get an extra battery or a power pack and use your phone how you want. The battery is removable for a reason. :-)

•Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk •
    •• Formerly "Evo_girl"
    recDNA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight spencer View Post
    hi vin ..

the percent usage is going to be affected by other processes that are using your battery. Others would be at 16% if they were running other services that were consuming more battery. Yours at 35% just would mean that you weren't doing much else.

radiocaf - I've found that 'device idle' can sometimes increase usage if the phone is switching data modes - lte/4g/3g, etc. When your phone is sitting at home, idle, do you have it connected to wifi, or stay on the mobile data network? Does it have good signal strength? Where I am, if my phone is at the back of my house (opposite large windows & the nearest tower), it can sometimes use a bit more power. When I leave wifi on at home, it uses less.

I turned off locations services, including "maps / location updating" that someone else mentioned in another post. My phone right now 24% left, after about 24 hours of on time. Google Services is -still- the highest user, and i still don't know what the cause is. A friend suggested i try a factory reset of the phone, and while I hate to do that - spent the last couple weeks getting it configured as i want, I may give it a try. google+ is still set to sync up, so i might try disabling that, i suppose.

here's a couple more screen captures:
    Do you have syncs on? It looks like you barley picked the phone up since the screen time is slow... So it would make sense that the biggest above all drain was the few syncs since nothing else was draining the battery.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Marmaduke View Post
    Do you drain your battery below 3% ever?
    If I drain the phone so much that it turns off will the battery calibrate or something? looking forward to your answer

Default Galaxy s4 extended battery life terrible?

I just got an extended 5200mah battery but it seems it's doing terrible. Not sure tho. Attached some screens from total usage yesterday. And today I'm already down to 92 percent after being on for 25
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-01-22-19-09.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-01-22-21-23.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-01-22-20-08.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-01-21-27-42.jpg  

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy s4 extended battery life terrible?

Almost 7 hours of on screen time is pretty good.

This is not stock battery tho. Is this acceptable for an extended 5200mah battery?

When I had my S4, I hit almost 7 with the stock battery. And I can match that with my One and its 2300mah. It seems your awake times are terrible. Download an app like Wakelock detector to see what's waking your device. What are your sync settings? Do you have auto brightness on?

Auto brightness was on like half the time then the rest was full bright with lots of game playing.
    Sync was on gps was on.
    I basically tried to drain my battery by just using my phone nonstop with the screen on almost all the time.
    I never left the screen on just to have it on tho.
    So it was basically me using and waking the phone.

So you are saying you got almost 7 hours screen time with stock android battery?

Yes, and so have many others. It's possible with the phone.

Sync and GPS on will heavily drain your battery. Full brightness will absolutely eat through it. Auto, all the time. Sync off. GPS off (unless you're using nav). Download and try out Snap Dragon battery guru

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Congdon View Post
    This is not stock battery tho. Is this acceptable for an extended 5200mah battery?
    NO it is not, I got way more life than that when I used a 4400 mah battery. U probably have a bunch of background processes draining your battery. Or u didn't follow the instructions u were given when u bought the battery

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Here are my settings and battery I have all my features turned on and to save a lot of battery I took off Google now that traffic crap takes so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-03-23-10-08.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-07-03-23-10-00.jpg  
    iPad iPhone 4,4s,5,5s Nexus 7 (2013) Galaxy S4 Nexus 5 and so much more.....

Quote Originally Posted by nickgalaxys4 View Post
    Here are my settings and battery I have all my features turned on and to save a lot of battery I took off Google now that traffic crap takes so much.
    U will always save battery when ur device is idle

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    U will always save battery when ur device is idle

Yea I didn't use it a lot yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by nickgalaxys4 View Post
    Yea I didn't use it a lot yesterday.
    I think it is funny when someone pays a fortune for a state of the art smartphone then turns off every feature that makes it "smart" to get great battery life. Put a charger in your car and at work and pick up a spare battery!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I think it is funny when someone pays a fortune for a state of the art smartphone then turns off every feature that makes it "smart" to get great battery life. Put a charger in your car and at work and pick up a spare battery!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    I have all my setting on the only thing I turned off was Google Now because I don't find it useful. I get a day an a half with my battery even with all the features turned on.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

The only reason I really like Google now is I can open it and it tells me how long it takes me to get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I got 14 hours with 4 hours screen time out of my phone. Is that good? Google services took up 20% battery....

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus MD View Post
    I got 14 hours with 4 hours screen time out of my phone. Is that good? Google services took up 20% battery....

Depends, we're u mainly using wifi? Was sync on? GPS?

Sometimes, the Google services thing just balloons out of no where, a reboot usually fixes it tho

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Depends, we're u mainly using wifi? Was sync on? GPS?

Sometimes, the Google services thing just balloons out of no where, a reboot usually fixes it tho

Mainly wifi, gps off, sync on, few games, some research/medscape app, lots of texting and using androud central app app a lot. Air view on and air gesture on. Multi window on

I'd say that was pretty good! I struggle to get 3 hours screen time at most!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishepa View Post
    The only reason I really like Google now is I can open it and it tells me how long it takes me to get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    You know you can set a traffic widget for this, right?

•Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk •
    •• Formerly "Evo_girl"
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast