Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data usage on the S4

Somehow i have gone over my data of 1gb in only 7 days. When i check the data usage it says that my Android OS used up 550mg of data. How do i switch my data off so it doesn't use it up? Do i only have to toggle off the mobile data? Or does the device still use data in the background with certain applications? Basically i just want data to be used when i am using the internet. I don't need any background operations going on. Please help.

Global Posts
    25,297 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Data usage on the S4

Quote Originally Posted by molock1989 View Post
    Somehow i have gone over my data of 1gb in only 7 days. When i check the data usage it says that my Android OS used up 550mg of data. How do i switch my data off so it doesn't use it up? Do i only have to toggle off the mobile data? Or does the device still use data in the background with certain applications? Basically i just want data to be used when i am using the internet. I don't need any background operations going on. Please help.
    Try turning off Auto Sync. The device is probably frequently checking things like your online accounts like Gmail, Yahoo etc.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

May be worth checking your Dropbox app settings if you've set it up, particularly for uploading your camera photos. Make sure you select the "upload using wifi" only option (not the wifi and data option).

download GSam Battery Monitor it will tell u what's using your data

I was having the same issue. Try going to accounts, backup and reset, and uncheck "back up my data". Since I did that android os now has only taken up .9 mb over 3 days so far where before i was getting a few hundred megs of data usage. There needs to be more options for the data backup option in my opinion like set it to only do over wifi and on a time schedule. I don't recommend turning off auto sync because you will have issues not receiving emails and such.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yup i think this was my issue. thank you very much