Galaxy s4, are the added features really that useful?

Craig Rogers

Banned
Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody, I just had a quick question that maybe one of you would be able to answer. The galaxy s4 has been out for a while now, and i'm sure many of you love the device. At the Google developers conference Thursday a nexus version of the s4 was announced. I'm just wondering, are all of the Samsung features of the s4 really all that useful? I mean the amount of space that is taken up on the phone just for the pre-installed software is ridiculous to say the least. How many of you actually use the hover controls or the smart pause features? They just seem like more useless features than useful to me. I'm stuck between buying the nexus version (because I love the nexus experience and updates, its the closest to an apple experience I can find on android), or the regular galaxy s4. I know I can root the device and just install a custom rom if I wanted to, but that seems like a hassle when all I would be doing is installing a nexus based rom. I like Samsung's touch with everything, but it seems like now they're just ruining the experience with too many features that most people won't use. What are your guys opinions on the devices? should I wait for the Google version? Or suck it up and buy the normal galaxy s4? And money is not a problem, I'm willing to pay for both the devices.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I do use most of the features it comes with. Yes, some of them are just to show off (I can perfectly browse galleries and webpages with my finger, but it's way cooler to wave them off without touching the phone), but I do use them. Can live without them, not exactly make my life a heck of a lot easier, but cooler-make-your-friends-jelous-and-kids-think-you're-magical. That being said, if the 'Nexus' version of the phone will be more expensive, I'd get the standard version and then root/load a Nexus ROM (it should, in theory, work right away as the innards of the phone are supposed to be unchanged). If the Nexus version is cheaper, then get that and should you want to, load a Samsung ROM and enable all other features.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Air Gesture is the most useful, especially in the car. Air View & Smart Scroll not so much.

The BEST is the IR Blaster, I put away the OEM remotes for my Home Theater.

r2t

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe you already answered your own question. Personally, I turned off most of the features. If I were you and have the love for Nexus experience, I would go for the Google Edition.

Sent from my GT-I9500