Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Default excessive data consumption....

Hey everyone!

New to Android, I just switched over from an iPhone on Friday and in the first few hours of having it my phone and carrier are saying I have used 250mb of my 500mb of data. This seem to be outrageous... I lightly used some apps but mostly over wifi, and this is literally hours after activating... ive now switched off my mobile data till I can figure it out. Any suggestions or insight? I'm also with Bell in Canada

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Default Re: excessive data consumption....

Look at what apps are doing background syncing, and how often. Email, facebook, twitter , Google+ can do background syncing frequently. If you have any location check-in type services active (look in Settings in Google map) that will constantly update in the background. If the options to back up your data to Google are checked, that will try to backiup all your contacts and other info, which could amount to a fair bit of data. The phone could be set up upload photos to Google + automatically, or by syncing with Picasa photo albums, if you use that service.

The S4 menus are different, so it may be in a different place, but on the S3 in Settings / Data usage you can scroll down and see how much data each individual app used on both mobile and WiFi. You can also choose, on an app by app basis, to restrict background data usage when not on WiFi.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    25,327 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by swent1 View Post
    Hey everyone!

New to Android, I just switched over from an iPhone on Friday and in the first few hours of having it my phone and carrier are saying I have used 250mb of my 500mb of data. This seem to be outrageous... I lightly used some apps but mostly over wifi, and this is literally hours after activating... ive now switched off my mobile data till I can figure it out. Any suggestions or insight? I'm also with Bell in Canada

Try this solution. I remembered this from another thread. Data usage on the S4

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and by the way....Welcome to the forums!!!

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Perfect! Thank you both!

Best option restrict your data.
    Setting/data/set limit data.

:*: Neebi :*:

Ok here is my issue, the same thing happened, from which is now easy to find on google, excessive data usage from gallery.
    first my phone was not being used frequently during this holidays, second nothing change on my phone no new apps downloaded no videos or music etc.

for my 3 year contract on this phone I never had anything like this in the last two years of usage, I also found out how to fix it and I turned off my data usage for awhile until my data cycle because it reach my data limit, my question is what kind of gallery uses 1.2 gb of mobile data and 1.83 gb of wifi usage total of 3g of data see the pictures, and note that I have only few pictures video records and mp3 not exceeding 500 mb and none of it were found in my google account due to autoback backup and sync which which I didn't know set default onexcessive data consumption....-screenshot_2014-01-09-12-06-07.png and excessive data consumption....-screenshot_2014-01-09-12-06-39.png

Global Posts
    7,583 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I don't know why gallery is consuming so much data. It shouldn't be.
    excessive data consumption....-1389323039063.jpg
    excessive data consumption....-1389323061262.jpg

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Go to your gallery and then hit your menu button, go to settings, and ensure it is only set to sync via wifi (see below).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails excessive data consumption....-1389356750567.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    7,583 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Go to your gallery and then hit your menu button, go to settings, and ensure it is only set to sync via wifi (see below).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Oh yea, I totally forgot about that. 😆
    Hey Almeuit! 👋 Long time!

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!