1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Wink How to prepare for switch from Iphone5?

I am switching from an Iphone 5. I am anxiously waiting for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to be delivered by the end of the week. Any suggestions on things to do to prepare for the change over? How to get my contacts from ICloud to Google? I am already a gmail user but use both to store contacts and Icloud contacts are more phone oriented where as the google contacts are more email oriented. I heard some had problems with Imessage? Turn it off now? How to get my music to the new phone that is all on Itunes cloud? Any help with these or any other ideas for me would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How to prepare for switch from Iphone5?

I'd start by reading this: Apple User's Guide to Android

Can't help with iCloud, but you'll want to make sure you turn off / disable imessage before switching to the S4.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Turn off imessage or else other I-device users may not get you their Sms... You can get to it in iTunes settings under device. Much easier to disable while your iPhone is still connected. That was the only glitch for me...

Sent from my S4 using Android Central Forums

samsung set something up that you can download and it will transfer everything over for you: samsungsmartswitch.com
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you. Has anyone used this program? How well does it work?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Has anyone used this program? How well does it work?

The Samsung smartswitch works very well.

Make sure you backup your iphone with iTunes and back up to your computer, not to icloud.

It'll move over text messages, phone logs, contact information, music, photos, notes from the notepad app, etc.

It took me a couple of days to get used to things, but I like the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Eiffe View Post
    Turn off imessage or else other I-device users may not get you their Sms... You can get to it in iTunes settings under device. Much easier to disable while your iPhone is still connected. That was the only glitch for me...

This is the #1 you should do and nothing else before this.

If you want to continue using itunes for music purchases etc. download Doubletwist. It mirrors your itunes and works well on the S4. You will need to download it on your phone as well as your desktop computer. Good luck. I made the switch from an iPhone 5 and I am loving it.

If you have any iTunes purchases from before April of 2009 you may want to look into getting the DRM removed. DoubleTwist won't do that, IIRC. I'm about to try to get my iTunes on my S4 when it arrives and I'm considering iSyncr over DoubleTwist to avoid having two music management programs on my PC. Sadly, the Google Music system isn't very well suited to the S4 with 16G of internal memory. If you want to download the songs to your phone to play off line you have to save them to internal memory and it's pretty limited. There's no big rush for this unless you really want your music on your phone ASAP. You can mess around with different options after you get the phone and use your iPhone as an iPod temporarily if something isn't going right.

For contacts, look up how to get them into Google. It's not that hard of a process and easily Googleable (that's a word now). Once they're there you'll just synch them with your new phone.

yeah lol definitely turn off imessage.. first day I got the phone I was getting a ton of messages that still went to my iphone while I was out with my S4 thinking I had no friends, then came home and saw my old iphone with a ton of unread messages

Quote Originally Posted by tjg312 View Post
    yeah lol definitely turn off imessage.. first day I got the phone I was getting a ton of messages that still went to my iphone while I was out with my S4 thinking I had no friends, then came home and saw my old iphone with a ton of unread messages
    I am currently having that problem!! How did you fix it?? I have deleted it off my macbook but it still is not recognizing I am not an iphone for some people
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by swent1 View Post
    I am currently having that problem!! How did you fix it?? I have deleted it off my macbook but it still is not recognizing I am not an iphone for some people
    I just went to my iphone and turned it off, if you already traded in your iphone you may have to wait. My friend got a note2 awhile back and it would take forever to send texts to him since it would always try sending as imessage. Eventually it started sending as normal texts but it took about a week

If you have a Mac that is syncing your contacts via the apple desktop address book export to a file. Then log onto Google go to your Gmail settings and you'll find an option to import contacts via a file.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Two things: 1. When should I turnoff Imessage? Days before I make the switch or can I do it just before the switch.

I already have a google account. If I use the switching program from Samsung will I have duplicate contact entries?

Quote Originally Posted by tinadannysmith View Post
    Two things: 1. When should I turnoff Imessage? Days before I make the switch or can I do it just before the switch.

I already have a google account. If I use the switching program from Samsung will I have duplicate contact entries?
    I don't know the actual answer to either of those, but FWIW, Google Contacts has a pretty good algorithm for merging duplicate contact entries. Doing that ahead of time is probably a bigger deal when going from Android to iOS (as my wife recently found out), but it may give you some peace of mind knowing that duplicates are easily fixed in the Google realm.
    Last edited by garublador; 05-21-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Welcome to Android family! I had all the iphones (besides the 5). You will most likely not like the stock messager so get Go Sms Pro and the Emoji plugin for it so you can still enjoy the emojis friends with iphones will send you and you can send back. Theres really no keyboard like the iphone but swift keyboard beats it (it really is a million times better), download that as well. Those were the only two things that I really needed to move from iphone to android. Enjoy that big beautiful screen!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Thanks. I can't wait , getting my phone tomorrow. Already turned off Imessage and can't wait to get my hands on it. Any other last minute suggestions?

Also make sure your friends have your number in their contacts as mobile not as iPhone that could be screwing stuff up too.

Sent from the collector home world.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Eiffe View Post

Is that the same thing as going into the setting in the iPhone itself and turning off iMessage? Or do you have to do it through iTunes?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    s44

Set up Google Wallet if you haven't already so you can get straight to buying apps.

Quote Originally Posted by tinadannysmith View Post
    I am switching from an Iphone 5. I am anxiously waiting for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to be delivered by the end of the week. Any suggestions on things to do to prepare for the change over? How to get my contacts from ICloud to Google? I am already a gmail user but use both to store contacts and Icloud contacts are more phone oriented where as the google contacts are more email oriented. I heard some had problems with Imessage? Turn it off now? How to get my music to the new phone that is all on Itunes cloud? Any help with these or any other ideas for me would be greatly appreciated.
    The best thing to prepare you for the switch is to know in advance that the S4 is laggy , if you can deal with that everything else you will learn and adapt to android but the lag and stuttering are deal breakers for some. The iphone 5 is smooth and you will notice a huge difference... so much for quad cores heh

If you are on a Mac both contacts and calendar can also sync with Google Contacts and calendar as well as iCloud.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

im trying transfer everything from iphone 5 to galaxy s4 but only contacts,calendar and memos get transfer
    then it doesn't move from 1% i left it overnight i even left my phone plug in and i left to work, came back to
    it just being on 1% ...my guess is the program aint running how it suppose run for some reason...can anyone help?