Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By MrMercedes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How is the S4 screen outdoors?

I was wondering how the S4 screen performs outdoors? I have the Rezound, it has bad glare outside, i usually have to find shade to see it clearly. I have the same issue with my work phone, an I5. What is everyone's thoughts on the screen?

Default Re: How is the S4 screen outdoors?

I have no problems with it but I'm just aware that ANY phone with a glass on it will reflect direct sunlight. That being said, if the sun is directly above you, you won't be able to see the screen no matter how high the brightness is (you might discern a few shapes, but not read text clearly). A matte-finish screen protector might help, but that'll also obscure the overall brightness of your screen.
    paul-c likes this.

Compared to hTc One, I'm having trouble more with the S4.. Both are on Auto Brightness.

its not the best in direct sunlight however inside a vehicle its not too bad . it's not a deal breaker for me
    sent from my galaxy s4

You'll have to crank up the brightness in the sun on this device. Overall it's sufficient but it's not the best.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

It's definitely the weaker of the contenders. It's just about the only thing I'd knock the device for, along with not being able to have a camera shortcut and a password.

It sucks more than other phones

Put it this way, Its better than the S2 and S3. Its still not good enough though, as far as i'm concerned.
    barryl85 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Has anyone who owns an S4 previously owned an HTC Thunderbolt or Inspire? How does the screen compare in full daylight to those, please?

A lot of my phone use is outdoors, and the Thunderbolt is utterly useless. I don't want to commit to a screen I can't use, but the S4 seems to win the "spec war" in every other way for my purposes.

For comparison, I use a Nexus 7 sometimes outdoors, and find that screen quite acceptable. So if someone has an S4 and a Nexus 7 and can side-by-side them outdoors, that would be great as well.

Thanks!

It's not as good as my one's. However, i was surprised at how it actually performed in daylight; much better than i thought it would honestly. There's an app called lux on the Play store that allows for full brightness control past the normal limit, as well as more aggressive auto brightness. It's surprisingly sophisticated... Definitely give it a try if you're going to be using your GS4 outside a lot.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    It's not as good as my one's. However, i was surprised at how it actually performed in daylight; much better than i thought it would honestly. There's an app called lux on the Play store that allows for full brightness control past the normal limit, as well as more aggressive auto brightness. It's surprisingly sophisticated... Definitely give it a try if you're going to be using your GS4 outside a lot.

Posted via Android Central App
    That's why I keep waffling between the S4 and the HTC One. I want outdoor screen capability, but then I look at the difference in camera samples, and I do a lot of photography with my phone... Decisions, decisions... LOL

I have a s4 and a one, as far as outside the ones screen blows the. S4 away but I do use the s4 my daily driver in general is the better phone for me if I could take a few things from each and build my prefect phone. But I agree with the fact that lux def does help def worth checking out

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/ rooted

As someone previously stated, the S4 is definitely better than the S3. Having said that, it is not as good as the one in DIRECT sunlight (beach). Aside from that, it has performed admirably in regular sunlight situations.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks for the info, as long as its an improvement over the Rezound I'm good, I know direct sunlight is a killer on the screens, its more of like going under a tree with some shade, the Rezound still has glare issues.