Airplane mode

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
When I select Airplane mode a message comes up saying: Airplane mode allows you to turn off calling, messaging and data network features. It also turns off connectivity features such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. To use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, turn them on in Settings or on the notification panel.

Is there a way to by-pass that and just select airplane mode instead of selecting OK everytime and OK again when I want to disable airplane mode?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you are using the wrong approach for those kind of activities ..........movies and school, put your phone in vibration or silent.........saving battery.....use the setting that comes with the phone (power saving mode).....or just turn the radio off............... airplane mode was meant for flying ............ maybe you are trying to use it as one time deal in order to shut everything off...... I would turn my phone off and not worry about............I don't think there is a way to by pass ok.....and ok ....and ok...........

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use it to shut everything off so I can use my phone as my alarm clock. Yes, I know it has a mode for blocking. I use airplane mode cause it's easy.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Airplane mode a lot, too... As to the poster that claims your approach is wrong, I'd disagree... Just because they named it 'Plane Mode' doesn't mean it's useful ONLY for that situation. When going to the gym for a swim, I just turn Airplane mode ON to save battery instead of toggling everything off (Battery Saving mode reduces stuff going on in your phone, doesn't actually turn radio off).

Unfortunately that message is stuck. No way to disable it in stock mode. Of course, I'm sure someone will come out (if they haven't already) with a way to override this if you're rooted.

dingbat005

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it is way more convenient to have it in my notification bar with everything else than to have to add a widget. I understand the message once but this is ridiculous that you can't bypass it going forward. I have bad reception at work so sometimes i will put my phone in and out of airplane mode to "refresh" the modem, which usually gives me better signal at least for a bit, and this message is driving me nuts! How are more people not complaining about this?

jebb

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same position as the OP. Does anyone have a fix? Being rooted, I would think the setting is available somewhere..

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When I select Airplane mode a message comes up saying: Airplane mode allows you to turn off calling, messaging and data network features. It also turns off connectivity features such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. To use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, turn them on in Settings or on the notification panel.

Is there a way to by-pass that and just select airplane mode instead of selecting OK everytime and OK again when I want to disable airplane mode?

Coming from iOS, this annoyed me to. I want to just turn it on without all these freaking prompts. (same for bluetooth)

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Airplane mode has to turn those features off because its meant to be used on an Airplane...do it doesn't mess with the airplane communication systems

Just put your phone on Silent mode or Vibrate mode to keep all those other features on

Or arrange the toggles so the ones u use most are in the front as soon as u pull the notification bar down....u can arrange them from settings

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same position as the OP. Does anyone have a fix? Being rooted, I would think the setting is available somewhere..
If I'm not mistaken, you can control Airplane Mode with Tasker if you're rooted and have Secure settings installed.

Br0sk: Control Aeroplane Mode with Tasker on Android 4.2.x

Tasker might be the solution for the OP who just wants their phone silenced at night. I do the same thing and not only do I not have to deal with prompts, I don't even have to tap anything for it to work. As long as it's night time (a time that I defined) and my phone is charging it's silent.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I guess the only solution is either deal with the message prompt or root my phone. I guess I'll deal with it and hope Samsung fixes it when the next Galaxy comes out.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I guess the only solution is either deal with the message prompt or root my phone. I guess I'll deal with it and hope Samsung fixes it when the next Galaxy comes out.
Just to be clear, Tasker itself does not require rooting. Controlling Airplane mode using Tasker does. You can control the ringer volumes like I described without rooting.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, Tasker itself does not require rooting. Controlling Airplane mode using Tasker does. You can control the ringer volumes like I described without rooting.
I just want to make the prompt go away when enabling and disabling airplane mode.

2Tall_TityBoi

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd say your best bet is to just deal with it. Ask yourself, "Is this little pop-up really worth my time and attention?" so the next time that damn pop-up asks you if you're sure you want to turn off all of those features, you can confidently say, "YES, SIR TAKE MY PHONE BACK TO THE MIDDLE AGES" and press that OK button like it's your bottom *****

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
And why do you want to activate Airplane Mode if you are not flying ????

Speaking for myself, I use the phone for other things than phone--like eBooks. It comes to bed with me. It's on my nightstand when I finally go to sleep. I don't want it on as I sleep which would mean (a) getting audible notifications from Facebook, texts, emails, wrong numbers etc that would wake me up; and (b) why drain the battery overnight?

megahurtz78

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
lynn02, I have the same problem but found a simple solution. Long press the power button and you'll get 'Device Options'. Select 'Flight Mode' and that's it! No annoying popup prompt.

I'm a flight steward and there is an application (Cabin Crew Roster Minder) that puts my Android phone to flight mode automatically before every flight. But not on my S4 with the stupid prompt. I hope the developer will find a way to fix this.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
lynn02, I have the same problem but found a simple solution. Long press the power button and you'll get 'Device Options'. Select 'Flight Mode' and that's it! No annoying popup prompt.

I'm a flight steward and there is an application (Cabin Crew Roster Minder) that puts my Android phone to flight mode automatically before every flight. But not on my S4 with the stupid prompt. I hope the developer will find a way to fix this.
I just tried the long press power button and tried it from device options and still get the prompt.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Airplane mode has to turn those features off because its meant to be used on an Airplane...do it doesn't mess with the airplane communication systems

Just put your phone on Silent mode or Vibrate mode to keep all those other features on

Or arrange the toggles so the ones u use most are in the front as soon as u pull the notification bar down....u can arrange them from settings
The impression that I get is that they do it in order to save battery, but my question is: if you are going to turn off all of those features while you are a the gym or swim like one of them said, why not turn the phone off any way if you are not going to be using it for that time any way ? I can understand to use it as a reboot for the radio in order to try to get better reception but aside from that I honestly don't see the use. Sorry.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks