What is this "smearing" people are talking about?

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
They're not talking about fingerprints on the screen they are talking about the words on a page smearing as its scrolling, does anyone know if samsung will be addressing this?

Posted via Android Central App

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
actually, what they are talking on other forums about that "smearing", is that when you slowly scroll on black backgrounds, with gray options (such as in the settings menu, where background's gray, and the buttons and some other things are gray), while slowly scrolling, the gray will kind of turn a lil' bit purple or something like that...

personally i haven't seen anything like it, as my device does not have that problem apparently.... but you have to look with a lot of attention to notice as far as i've read

*edited to correct grammar typo

Uh, that's a joke, right?

The so called "smearing" issue is easy to demonstrate on my shiny new 32 GB S4:
- Go into Settings
- Select the My Device tab
- Scroll up and down

Notice that the thin grey lines fade to purple as you scroll, and then return to grey when you stop. Notice that the larger grey bars like "Input and Control" turn purple on the edges while scrolling.

I haven't looked for the issue on multiple GS4's, but I suspect that it is just an attribute of the AMOLED display rather than an flaw or quality control problem that only affects certain phones. My PVA computer monitor does it some also, and it's related to the response time of the panel.

If it bothers you, then seek a phone with an LCD display like the HTC One or Optimus G Pro.

Dammit. I never would have noticed this, but now I can't unsee it.
Thanks, Obama.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi vasekvi, where does one download this utility? Is it from the play store?

Posted via Android Central App

I'll ask my coworker next time I see him and I'll Bluetooth it to my phone and upload it for others here.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I took a video of a coworkers s4 doing this. Mine doesn't. His is on Sprint. He got a utility from XDA that fixes this and not only that, even makes scrolling smoother than on my phone. I'll update this post once the video uploads.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRBmKc67gM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok here is the fix my coworker installed.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&token=X0EJp9ch

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
you have got to be kidding me! This is what people take the time to ***** about!? If Samsung would have pointed it out as a feature, half of you would have been Ohing and Ahing about it and the other half would have been disabling it!
World hunger be damed, the little bars on my phone change colors!
CALL OUT THE NATIONAL GUARD!

Cheers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
To solve the smearing issue with the S4 use the screen adjuster app from the play store and set the red green and blue levels to +5 and keep it on ,it will not only remove the purple tinge but also make the scrolling smooth......my s4 exynos had this problem but after installing this app i am nt having issues

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I dint have the issue but in tried this fix as I posted just a couple posts ago. But it makes the blacks not look perfectly black anymore. Unacceptable.

Justin Brennan

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
[fix]fix for smearing issue [updated 19/7/2013] - xda-developers Basically when there is black on top of black mixed with the color gray in-between, it can show a slight purple smear. It mainly affected people who purchased the phone within the first two weeks it was out. I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 which I purchased the day it came out and I noticed the issue by accident when scrolling over a Facebook photo. I use my phone all the time and that one picture was the only time I ever noticed the purple blur. My guess is it has to do with when the Amoled screens try to turn off the pixels because they are displaying black, but then go back fast and accidentally display the incorrect color. Also "ghosting" is a similar issue with scrolling when words or the color white are over the color black. Now most people won't get these issues since the phone has been out awhile. The link I provided earlier talks about fixing this issue. I haven't tried it but people seem to say it works. Best of luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781