Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Default How to view picts from the GS4 on my PC via an USB connection ????????????

Ok,,, this is really frustrating, and VERY STUPID on Samsungs part I think,,,,, ya have a great camera on the GS4 but if ya want to view and transfer those great pictures onto your PC via a USB connection your just kinda screwed.

This is the same problem/issue I had with my Note 2 and when I posted asking how to fix it I never really got an answer to solve the problem,,,,, I know very little about MTP vs Mass Storage so forgive my dumb questions and ranting.

Just about every phone I have ever owned and certainly EVERY camera has this crazy feature where you can view the pictures on your device via a USB connection to a computer,,, well every phone and every camera on the planet has that feature,,, except of course the Note 2 and the GS4,,,,,,all is ya get with the N2 and GS4 is icons where the thumbnail of the actual image should be.

So my questions again are WTF is Samsung thinking, why hobble the GS4 and N2 DCMI folders,,,, why does Samsung do something so stupid ?????

And,,,, how do I fix it ??????

I like to know which pictures I am exporting from my GS4 to my PC instead of blindly having to export all my files over and over again and then have to sift thru those pictures on my PC to delete all the duplicate pictures,,,,, is that so hard ???

Sorry for my ranting,,, its just that I use my camera a lot and only being able to view generic icons instead of picture thumbnails is really a pain in the ***.

This is for sure one area where my iPhone 5 and all my other iPhones best the Samsung,,,,,, image transfer on an iphone, an iPad, and every digital in camera existence is super easy,,,, why did Samsung decide to make such a simple thing such a pain in the *** to deal with,,, is there a fix ????????

I have posted this subject on this forum before with my N2,,, I have done the whole Google search thing and read as much as I could on this subject but have still not found a fix,,,, im to the point of frustration that the idea of going back to my ip5 has crossed my mind as I am such a heavy camera user.

Yes, I have an SD card installed, re-installing the drivers does not help,,,, I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks much in advance.
    Cheers
    Davyo

Default Re: How to view picts from the GS4 on my PC via an USB connection ????????????

You need to go into your settings from the main menu on the home screen. Make sure you have enabled developer settings. Then you you need to enable allow USB debugging.When you done that your phone will be recognized by your Pc as a mass storage device. You will
    now be able to view & move your files/photos very easily.
    PS. If you do not see developer options listed in the menu settings you will have to tap where it says build number 7 times in order for it to be listed in the settings
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Default Re: How to view picts from the GS4 on my PC via an USB connection ????????????

Quote Originally Posted by jhlrbt1333 View Post
    You need to go into your settings from the main menu on the home screen. Make sure you have enabled developer settings. Then you you need to enable allow USB debugging.When you done that your phone will be recognized by your Pc as a mass storage device. You will
    now be able to view & move your files/photos very easily.
    PS. If you do not see developer options listed in the menu settings you will have to tap where it says build number 7 times in order for it to be listed in the settings
    Wow,,, I can't thank you enough,,,,, that was the fix I was looking for !!!!!

Really,,,,,, thank you very very much for posting that fix,,, you rock !!!

Big cheers
    Davyo

No problem, happy to help out. Enjoy your new phone

Posted via Android Central App

I have a Mac and when I enabled the USB debugging and plug my GS4 into the Mac it mounts a volume but there are all window files in it. Several exe's and an app file....will this not work on Mac? Sorry, but I'm new to Android and thanks for any help you can give me.

Good evening sorry i couldn't reply sooner. I don't own any Mac computers, The only suggestion i can offer you is to research your problem in the mac forums for galaxy s4 users. Good luck to you.

Yeah the 'debugging' thing did not work for me. did i do it wrong??? Please help

Do you use Google drive? Take a pic, upload it to Google drive and Viola it's on your PC - like magic. No need for USB wires.

Posted via Android Central App