Why Android Will Always Be Laggier Than iOS

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Its a preposterous question. Between all the variations in hardware and OS, its like comparing an apple to literally every other fruit in the produce section. Not all devices are created equal and not all Android builds are created equal.

That being said, keep iOS's mediocrity and the stale Apple hardware design. I'll take the functionalities and variety of the Android ecosystem any day even despite that fact that some of the OEMs on some models manage to royally muck up the software along with the carriers.

My N7 has literally been the best experience I've had with any computer/mobile device save for maybe my IBM Thinkpad.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

A nexus 7 is smooth and fast? Really? My nexus 7 running cm10 is still slower than a stock galaxy s3. The tegra 3 processor blows.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
A nexus 7 is smooth and fast? Really? My nexus 7 running cm10 is still slower than a stock galaxy s3. The tegra 3 processor blows.

Yeah, my Nexus 7 lagged and froze like crazy. I don't know why Google didn't fix it, the Nexus 4 is dead smooth...

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I had one issue about 3 weeks in, but a reset cleared it. Don't even remember what it was. It's been great since.

My N4 is on the way and I can't wait to have a Vanilla phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree that iOS is a lot smoother, but I would not say "always" since the rate Android is going with Internal storage only (no sd), fixed battery, cloud focus, etc they may be just like Apple down the road. ;)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This thread is funny. To listen to some people you would think there is never lag on iOS devices. Ever. Conversely Android does nothing but lag. Neither statement or impression is true. All devices lag at some point. Even a computer does.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am an iPhone user, but I have had Android phones in the past, and play around with many of my friends devices now, and I do not see the big problem with lag so many complain about. I mean the OSs feel different, but to say it lags is exaggerating. I had 2.3 device in the past, and it started to lag terribly, but so did my 3gs. I still have a 4s, and it doesn?t lag in anyway I can really notice, and neither does my friends Note 2.

P.S. Don?t tell anyone, but I have a friend with GS Mini, and it seemed quite quick to me as well. Can it be that Android lag is a NON-issue? Just Saying.

malwayne66

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Project Butter helped, but it didn't fix it. It is pretty disappointing to see lag/ animation glitches. But on a Nexus device they are relatively minor and its a small price to pay for the functionality.

I seriously don't understand how the Samsung software people could have possibly signed off on The S4. It's so flipping laggy/stuttering. Yet there are still people in the S4 forum who pretend their S4 is lag free.

I really hope a 100% functional Google Edition ROM is developed on XDA for carrier edition S4's. I'm okay with being an update or two behind of it means getting AOSP on Verizon. It's not like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was updated quickly anyhow.

AOSP + Verizon = unstoppable.

:)

My International GS4 is relatively lag free. In back the only recognized lag I have experienced was when I installed Facebook home (which did state that it didn't fully support the GS4).
I have never been a supporter of TouchWiz or SenseUI, but I must say that not all GS4 sold possess this lag that people are experiencing. Despite my dislike got TouchWiz, I can say that Samsung has done I relatively good job with the fluidity in the GS4 (in the version i have that is). I do use Nova Launcher though. I prefer to use it to get a Nexus experience until there is CM10 version available.

Posted via Android Central App

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
First and foremost, the samsung s4 is a beautiful and when i had a play didn't seem to lag, if you flick the screen fast on any phone including iphone it won't match your finger speed. This isn't lag, it was closest thing i could see on when I had a play with a few. Secondly, as stated before the site is a cult, a fan base subject to bias attitudes and beliefs. In saying this our beliefs can also be bias. Thirdly, an intern is hardly credible.... I know I am trying to get an internship at a well known accounting firm for my final year (there you have to apply sometimes a few years in advance) that wouldn't make me an expert accountant (I'm majoring in HR not accounting but I thought its a good office to potentially work in). Fourthly he could be an engineering failure like the hindenburg (Yes I stole that from a video - watch below)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS DOES have multitasking.

How multitasking really works on Android and iOS | ExtremeTech

True, although Androids' can be more functional. The only "true" mobile multitasking is Samsungs' Multi-window or various OEM or 3rd party hovering apps.

Tom

Well, if we must talk about multitasking, the BEST is WebOS!!!
My original (from launch day) Palm Prē and my PalmPad (HP TouchPad) DO multitasking like nothing out there, and better too.

Unfortunately stupid HP and Leo Idioteker killed WebOS!!! :mad:

Oh well, I've been doing good in Android land and every time I had an iPhone I would get bored to death with it. And yes, all devices lag from time to time. That won't prevent me from getting a GS4 or HTC One in a few weeks. :D:beer:

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
Does Sprint have LTE in your area? I held onto my Photon long into LTE device releases to maintain WiMAX coverage.

There is a ROM somewhere that makes the Photon more tolerable. MOF something or other. Plus turning your wifi setting to 'never sleep' will save your battery if your by wifi all day.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Its a different form of multitasking designed to save battery life. Which it does. It is Unix after all and process keep running, but application processes can halt or a portion of them run depending on what the developer wants to do. This also has zero to do with why iOS has always been lag free. Read the article you are commenting on as it explains why. iOS multitasking has nothing to do with it.
Project Butter and Jelly Bean have been huge improvements but even my Nexus 4 lags at times.
Some S 4 owners are making some really ridiculous excuses for Samsung's bloated OS and lag issues. Project Butter can't fix Samsung's lag issues as Samsung continues to get further and further away from core Android.
At least if you only use one type of phone you don't notice the lag as much but go to something almost lag free like a Nexus 4 or lag free like any iPhone ever made and you will certainly notice the difference.

Also remember there is no multitasking in IOS that can facter in

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Yes they were and are. Look at Anandtech's test of battery life and compare the iPhone 5 and S 4. That's with a much smaller battery but a more efficient OS design. Running apps through a jvm also uses a lot of memory and impacts battery life compared to compiled apps. Instead of making excuses Android owners should be demanding better.
Quad core and above on Android is nothing but a spec sheet gimmick. Watch the os and apps through a profiler and you will see they make little to no use of more than two cores. More than that just sucks up battery life and creates heat which is why my Nexus 4 has to throttle down so often.

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 4 Review - Part 1

Agreed. do not forget the fact that Androids multitasking can also be a battery hog.

Apple were very smart about implementing multi tasking with dual core device and 1450ma battery.

WebOS had its own issues especially with major memory leak problems. They never had enough developer resources to make it what it should be and the hardware was pretty awful. It could have been much more.

Well, if we must talk about multitasking, the BEST is WebOS!!!

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Does Sprint have LTE in your area? I held onto my Photon long into LTE device releases to maintain WiMAX coverage.

There is a ROM somewhere that makes the Photon more tolerable. MOF something or other. Plus turning your wifi setting to 'never sleep' will save your battery if your by wifi all day.

No LTE officially, but my sister her husband and a lot of people that have the GS3 get LTE in and around here. I also kept my Photon so I could enjoy WiMax instead of a new phone with only 3G. Now in a few weeks my contract ends and I will be able to upgrade.

or lag free like any iPhone ever made

This is not true, made me laugh so hard :D :D :D

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This thread is funny. To listen to some people you would think there is never lag on iOS devices. Ever. Conversely Android does nothing but lag. Neither statement or impression is true. All devices lag at some point. Even a computer does.

They both lag. Android just does it a whole lot more so far.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They both lag. Android just does it a whole lot more so far.

This is true. However, that would be because Android has more functions. You can do so much more, so there's more information and tasks to process. I will take a device that has minor lag if it means I can do a heck of a lot more than a basic, simple device that still has lag, just less. If Apple had ZERO lag, it MIGHT start approaching the stage of being worth it. Otherwise i'll stick to the more fulfilling experience that Android offers.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my Nexus 7 lagged and froze like crazy. I don't know why Google didn't fix it, the Nexus 4 is dead smooth...

I've owned two n7s and it lags like hell on any rom, even overclocked. Just a horrid tablet. That's why I was looking forward to the n7 refresh with a quad and 2gb ram.

As far as the s4 lag, yeah its there and it sucks. Even if you debloat and turn off all features it lags. The lg g pro has the same lag issues. Its all the gimmicky features. I've eliminated most of my lag by replacing the framework-res animations with stock android ones. Helped but I think the real solution will be aosp.