Helppp! New to android world

ocena88

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, allow me to introduce myself.. My name is andy..and i have just switched from iphone 4s to samsung s4 from last week. I am loving the phone.. However several things have bothered me.. And i need an assistance:
1. I have the phone at 100% before i sleep, when i wake up the phone is at 80%. I have data off, wifi on, blocking on, power saving mode on, and everything else is off. The battery shows that the android os is eating the battery the most. Is it normal? Usually i on my 4s i lost around 6%.. I dont mind having the phone drained when im using it.. However during sleeping thats whats bothered me the most.

2. Some of the website that have a documents and pdf, i cannot view them directly on the browser. Some even when downloaded it turns into the webpages (not the actual documents itself), is there anyway to fix this? I am hoping its in the setting somewhere. The safari used to allow me to view the documents directly, and allow me to save it afterward. I can give the link to the website.. If linking is allowed in this forum.

Lastly, please allow me to thank anyone in advance for their help. Have a great day everyone.

Regards

Andy

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, allow me to introduce myself.. My name is andy..and i have just switched from iphone 4s to samsung s4 from last week. I am loving the phone.. However several things have bothered me.. And i need an assistance:
1. I have the phone at 100% before i sleep, when i wake up the phone is at 80%. I have data off, wifi on, blocking on, power saving mode on, and everything else is off. The battery shows that the android os is eating the battery the most. Is it normal? Usually i on my 4s i lost around 6%.. I dont mind having the phone drained when im using it.. However during sleeping thats whats bothered me the most.

2. Some of the website that have a documents and pdf, i cannot view them directly on the browser. Some even when downloaded it turns into the webpages (not the actual documents itself), is there anyway to fix this? I am hoping its in the setting somewhere. The safari used to allow me to view the documents directly, and allow me to save it afterward. I can give the link to the website.. If linking is allowed in this forum.

Lastly, please allow me to thank anyone in advance for their help. Have a great day everyone.

Regards

Andy

Welcome to Android and the forums! I have an S3, but I will try to answer your questions.

First off, your battery does have a slight break in period. Give it a little more time, as it is learning how you use your phone, how you tap your phone, etc. Let's ignore your current situation, and let's say you haven't touched your phone for a few hours after you unplug it. When you are looking at the battery drain, it is just saying of the XX% that has drained, These are what has caused that XX% So back to your example, when the phone sits idling, it is discharging. And while it idles, waiting for input from you, the OS is always running, checking in with Google, etc.

Now, from what I understand, the battery is supposed to maintain the full charge while plugged in. But like I said, there is a break in period. Give it three or four more days. If you are still seeing drains like that, call your carrier and/or Samsung.

Your browser. basically, stock is horrible. Chrome, Dolphin, Opera, and Firefox are the most popular. And most perform so much better than the stock one. What you are dealing with is most likely a limitation in the browser. Try Chrome, recreate what you did, and see if there is a difference.

ocena88

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97, thanks for the help..
As per your suggestion I tried chrome and doplhin browser. Two things i notice.. Chrome downloaded the file, however i cannot open the file through 'download', however i managed to open the doc file through file manager. While, dolphin downloaded the file, still cannot be opened through 'download' and it wouldnt let me open it through file manager also (it says the file is html while its supposed to be doc file).

After all i managed to open the doc file, but it becomes a two to three step process and it is a hassle. Hopefully, Samsung will be able to fix it so that documents or pdf is able to be viewed straight in the browser with the ability to save as..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97, thanks for the help..
As per your suggestion I tried chrome and doplhin browser. Two things i notice.. Chrome downloaded the file, however i cannot open the file through 'download', however i managed to open the doc file through file manager. While, dolphin downloaded the file, still cannot be opened through 'download' and it wouldnt let me open it through file manager also (it says the file is html while its supposed to be doc file).

After all i managed to open the doc file, but it becomes a two to three step process and it is a hassle. Hopefully, Samsung will be able to fix it so that documents or pdf is able to be viewed straight in the browser with the ability to save as..

No sweat. Sometimes it is more figuring out a different way to do things. What makes diagnosing harder is I can't see everything you are doing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos