Wow. Best Buy has an entire section of the store devoted to Samsung Galaxy Products

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I went into my local Best Buy in Belair, MD to grab some printer ink and wandered over to the phones to have a little touchy feely time with the S4 that I am getting next week. In the front of the store is Best Buy Mobile with all the carriers and their dummy model phones. Meh.

Then I went over to the printers and got my ink. Strolling through the store on the way to TV Land... But what do my wondering eyes see? An amazing, bright beautiful 20 x 20 floor display area with a huge marquee that said 'Samsung Galaxy'. The were 3 different stations with working, functioning S4's, black and white. Galaxy Note 2's. Galaxy accessories, Galaxy tablets. All in the same space with dedicated sales people just for the Samsung Galaxy section.

They were very happy to demonstrate the features of all the devices and actually knew what they were doing/saying. They were not Samsung employees, they were Best Buy Geek Squad type with GS attire; white shirt, black tie, black pants.

I was impressed.

Anyone else see anything like this at Best Buy? I haven't been in mine for about a month. It wasn't like that then. There also wasn't a desktop computer in sight. It was taken over by non Samsung tablets and a few laptops. I did not see any Apple branding displayed prominently.

Very interesting development.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I went into my local Best Buy in Belair, MD to grab some printer ink and wandered over to the phones to have a little touchy feely time with the S4 that I am getting next week. In the front of the store is Best Buy Mobile with all the carriers and their dummy model phones. Meh.

Then I went over to the printers and got my ink. Strolling through the store on the way to TV Land... But what do my wondering eyes see? An amazing, bright beautiful 20 x 20 floor display area with a huge marquee that said 'Samsung Galaxy'. The were 3 different stations with working, functioning S4's, black and white. Galaxy Note 2's. Galaxy accessories, Galaxy tablets. All in the same space with dedicated sales people just for the Samsung Galaxy section.

They were very happy to demonstrate the features of all the devices and actually knew what they were doing/saying. They were not Samsung employees, they were Best Buy Geek Squad type with GS attire; white shirt, black tie, black pants.

I was impressed.

Anyone else see anything like this at Best Buy? I haven't been in mine for about a month. It wasn't like that then. There also wasn't a desktop computer in sight. It was taken over by non Samsung tablets and a few laptops. I did not see any Apple branding displayed prominently.

via Gnex

There are still physical stores!?!?!?

That's actually awesome; kinda wish they'd show off some of the other Android devices like that too, but eh, a first step is a step!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Omg, I go in there every couple of weeks for the electronics smell. And the touchy feely. It's about 25 miles from my house in town . I wander around for about an hour lusting over the TV's and phones. Sigh. There's nothing like the smell of Best Buy in the morning. :)

via Gnex

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Omg, I go in there every couple of weeks for the electronics smell. And the touchy feely. It's about 25 miles from my house in town . I wander around for about an hour lusting over the TV's and phones. Sigh. There's nothing like the smell of Best Buy in the morning. :)

via Gnex

You need help... ;) JK, I'd do the same thing if there was a place that sold UFO's.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to check at my one in Alexandria this weekend.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are still physical stores!?!?!?

That's actually awesome; kinda wish they'd show off some of the other Android devices like that too, but eh, a first step is a step!

The makers of other devices should pay up like Samsung if they want that level of marketing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The makers of other devices should pay up like Samsung if they want that level of marketing.

That's why I was surprised at the lack of prominent Apple branding. One small display for the iPhone 5 at the end of the aisle, about 2 x 4 foot. ::Shrug:: I guess Apple wants to keep their billions parked off shore.

via Gnex

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
You need help... ;) JK, I'd do the same thing if there was a place that sold UFO's.

Watched Independence Day for the 47th time last night and was loving the alien ship and alien tech parts of the ship. I loved going to Goddard Space flight center and having a hands on with a Gemini capsule that you could actually sit in and flip analog switches.

Yes, I have a problem. I admit it.

But its fun! Lol

via Gnex

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's why I was surprised at the lack of prominent Apple branding. One small display for the iPhone 5 at the end of the aisle, about 2 x 4 foot. ::Shrug:: I guess Apple wants to keep their billions parked off shore.

via Gnex

Much larger than 2x4 at most Best Buy's - usually 4 tables with Macs and iPads while the iPhone gets space at Best Buy Mobile.

Plus Apple has their own dedicated stores. Their spaces at Best Buy and Target are just supplemental.

And before you call out Apple for their tax avoidance, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/google-tax-dodge_n_2292077.html

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Much larger than 2x4 at most Best Buy's - usually 4 tables with Macs and iPads while the iPhone gets space at Best Buy Mobile.

Plus Apple has their own dedicated stores. Their spaces at Best Buy and Target are just supplemental.

And before you call out Apple for their tax avoidance, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Defends Tax Dodge: 'It's Called Capitalism'

As long as tax dodging is legal, it's irresponsible in a sense for companies to NOT do it. Doesn't help the tax revenue, but shareholders want as much profit as legally possible. I'm not sure there are any companies that are not minimizing their expenditures whenever they see an opportunity.

r2t

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This is what we get here in Thailand. They love Sammie's products over here. They give you free screen protector, 16 GB memory card, coffee mug, and Android blanket. It's a promotional event, but it seems like they have it every month of the year.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369283534718.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369283534718.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 111

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I was impressed.

via Gnex

Oh snap another MD'er lol I'm in Silver Spring

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
As long as tax dodging is legal, it's irresponsible in a sense for companies to NOT do it. Doesn't help the tax revenue, but shareholders want as much profit as legally possible. I'm not sure there are any companies that are not minimizing their expenditures whenever they see an opportunity.

That's absolutely true. But, we can always shame them into doing what's good for the county. They are bringing back some manufacturing to the US. It's a start.

via Gnex

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's absolutely true. But, we can always shame them into doing what's good for the county. They are bringing back some manufacturing to the US. It's a start.

via Gnex

Apple and some other countries are also trying to push for more favorable tax reform, with the incentive that if it happens they'll bring that revenue in; pay some low taxes on it and have it in a better position to reinvest it in industry here.

We need a fascism thread ;) to discuss the relationship of corporate and state interests. I'll probably stay out of that one though, because it's one of the fastest routes to "hulk smash" mode :) But it's probably one of the main issues that just about every person on the progressive to libertarian scale agrees on in principle...

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh snap another MD'er lol I'm in Silver Spring

I'm actually just over the Mason Dixon line but, we fly a Maryland flag since we were both born there.:D

Belair is the nearest town in any direction for 25-35 miles. BB Walmart, Target, Sears, Macy's, Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Old part of town on Main Street has pubs, bars, restaurants and antique shops. Not a bad little town.

via Gnex

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually just over the Mason Dixon line but, we fly a Maryland flag since we were both born there.:D

Belair is the nearest town in any direction for 25-35 miles. BB Walmart, Target, Sears, Macy's, Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Old part of town on Main Street has pubs, bars, restaurants and antique shops. Not a bad little town.

via Gnex

I love Texas Roadhouse.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple and some other countries are also trying to push for more favorable tax reform, with the incentive that if it happens they'll bring that revenue in; pay some low taxes on it and have it in a better position to reinvest it in industry here.

We need a fascism thread ;) to discuss the relationship of corporate and state interests. I'll probably stay out of that one though, because it's one of the fastest routes to "hulk smash" mode :) But it's probably one of the main issues that just about every person on the progressive to libertarian scale agrees on in principle...

Yeah, I'd have to stay out of that thread too. I'm too thin skinned. I could never be on a debate team. Not a pretty sight.

via Gnex

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site

via Gnex

IN all fairness, Apple has a lot invested in their stores, which are quite signature in their own way. And Re: the off shore thing, the same would apply to well just about every other big company in the US. ALL of them.

That said, Samsung is a serious force, and literally wipes the floor with other Android OEMs, and now encroaching even more on Apple space. I still say it is good, competition is good, we don?t want anyone to get too comfortable. We should only look out for ourselves (the consumer) in this, as these companies all have billions we don?t have.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the World of Apple vs Samsung.

I hope GTA (Greater Toronto Area) gets a Samsung Store, I know Vancouver has one. One of the reasons why I love Apple is because of their store with Genius Bar and amazing Customer Service.

I hate dealing with Roger (basically carriers) dealing with shipping out the phone, waiting, etc. Classic is when they tell you to reset the device or turn this feature off for 30 seconds and see if it works. Seriously?!?!

Another was recently with Bell, If was a few days after I got my hTc One (Rogers) and unlocked it. I inserted my Bell SIM card and couldn't get Data, what does "technical support" suggest. "Do you have Mobile Data, ON?" *sigh* :( It took a lot of patients and 4 calls before they figured it out that it was my APN settings.

This is why I want an Samsung or even a Google Store and hopefully it matches Apple's service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49