Galaxy s4 sd card can't be used to store apps

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling soon that Google is going to find a way to lock out SD card usage out of the Android system. I am discovering that this is more about avoiding the Fat file system (Royalties and Patents) and also appeasing the movie industry on DRM (file permission not available on Fat format). It is also the same reason why they won't allow you to download play purchased movies to the SD card.

It's gonna be hard for them to lock it out when any OEM can modify the code. I think Samsung will probably stop with the sd card next year though. Guess only time will tell

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Better start a Lawsuit on Western Digital, Seagate also as they promote 1000 mbs as a gb instead of the true 1024 mb. Samsung properly advertised that the phone has 16 gb... the problem is that they didn't let them now that only 9.9 is usable.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling soon that Google is going to find a way to lock out SD card usage out of the Android system. I am discovering that this is more about avoiding the Fat file system (Royalties and Patents) and also appeasing the movie industry on DRM (file permission not available on Fat format). It is also the same reason why they won't allow you to download play purchased movies to the SD card.

Google already did away with it. Samsung, and any other manufacturer with an SD card slot has put some work into putting the proper (term used loosely) code in place to make sure it works.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Google already did away with it. Samsung, and any other manufacturer with an SD card slot has put some work into putting the proper (term used loosely) code in place to make sure it works.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Works of course being in quotation marks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

32gb was not available for more than 2 weeks before after the release of S4. I had committed to the S4 I could have returned it and then go back to my iPhone. That is true, I figure I give Android a shot.

Previously I had owned the iPhone 3g-5. The most space that I ever had used by IOS is about 1.5 gigabytes. Then I have read over and over again that Samsung/Android is on par or better than Apple.

Nowhere did I read that the operating system was 4-5 times greater than IOS or that this was an issue. As I stated in my post you quoted, that not a single review stated anything about the S4 having only 9ish gb available. Also as I mention in another post, not even the salespeople were aware you could no longer store apps on the SD card.

Had a single review or the box mention anything specifically about the limited space, I would have held out. When information is not perfect and not available of course this kind of situation happens.

You would have been able to return it once you discovered that though. That you didn't is an implicit accepting of the limitations of the device.

Also, if you knew about this, bought the device, and didn't return it, then you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

You would have been able to return it once you discovered that though. That you didn't is an implicit accepting of the limitations of the device.

Also, if you knew about this, bought the device, and didn't return it, then you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

About this whole legal leg to stand on.

Microsoft is getting sued for the same situation right now for their surface tablet. Nobody had to return the device to trigger this.

Hard drive makers got sued for the way disk space was presented. Millions had bought hard drives who got to participated in the settlement if they wish to. They never had to return their hard drives.

Apple is sending me a 15 dollar check. This had to do with the iPhone 4 antenna and I never had to return the device. I also got my iPhone 4 after antenna gate press conference so I knew about the situation.

Sketchers had a class action lawsuit. They never anybody their shoes back in return for the settlement.

Somebody is going to come up with a class action lawsuit against Samsung about this. If you think that having 45 percent disk space taken is acceptable without making it clear on their product or advertising it won't be. In most states it only takes one person and an attorney to set off a class action.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

About this whole legal leg to stand on.

Microsoft is getting sued for the same situation right now for their surface tablet. Nobody had to return the device to trigger this.

Hard drive makers got sued for the way disk space was presented. Millions had bought hard drives who got to participated in the settlement if they wish to. They never had to return their hard drives.

Apple is sending me a 15 dollar check. This had to do with the iPhone 4 antenna and I never had to return the device. I also got my iPhone 4 after antenna gate press conference so I knew about the situation.

Sketchers had a class action lawsuit. They never anybody their shoes back in return for the settlement.

Somebody is going to come up with a class action lawsuit against Samsung about this. If you think that having 45 percent disk space taken is acceptable without making it clear on their product or advertising it won't be. In most states it only takes one person and an attorney to set off a class action.

You do not have a legal leg to stand on. The box says point blank that formatted capacity may vary. If you did not like the 9 gigs you got, you had 14 days to return it. If you didn't, its an admission on your part that it was acceptable to you.

Also, the Seagate lawsuit was over the fact that they used an incorrect formulation for storage size. The Microsoft lawsuit will fail because of the disclaimers printed on the box.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

You do not have a legal leg to stand on. The box says point blank that formatted capacity may vary. If you did not like the 9 gigs you got, you had 14 days to return it. If you didn't, its an admission on your part that it was acceptable to you.

Also, the Seagate lawsuit was over the fact that they used an incorrect formulation for storage size. The Microsoft lawsuit will fail because of the disclaimers printed on the box.

I notice you are using a Nexus 4, do you have an actual S4? I can tell you I have the box in front of me. I do no see this at all. On the back the only thing I see is 16gb. Nothing about actual storage size etc.

Maybe I am missing it, but if you can post me a picture where on the box you see this then I would like to know.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I notice you are using a Nexus 4, do you have an actual S4? I can tell you I have the box in front of me. I do no see this at all. On the back the only thing I see is 16gb. Nothing about actual storage size etc.

Maybe I am missing it, but if you can post me a picture where on the box you see this then I would like to know.

I had an S4. Its printed in the user manual. Some variants of the box have it printed on it as well. (Mine did)

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Here is the box from my wife's S4. It's there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369754052625.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369754052625.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 60

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Here is the box from my wife's S4. It's there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yours is from Verizon, here is mine from ATT. With the later release maybe they decided to fix the situation.

I have also checked the contents of the box and user guide inside. Still not mention anywhere.

Here is the photo from my box in the same section.

Attachments

• samsung.jpg
    samsung.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 54

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Yours is from Verizon, here is mine from ATT. With the later release maybe they decided to fix the situation.

I have also checked the contents of the box and user guide inside. Still not mention anywhere.

Here is the photo from my box in the same section.

It's also in the firmware. It also says it on the website.

You have no legal leg to stand on, despite your best efforts to find one. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tbduh

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My galaxy s3 had the 16gb that it promised and it also didn't allow me to move my apps to sd card because it said that the actual version of the phone would not allow this not because of Google. But it did allow me to use adobe flash player 11 and the new galaxy s4 will not. It is a false advertising from Samsung and from the mobile phone carrier that the new version of the phone was better than the previous versions of samsung galaxys. But it's not the truth win the new s4 has less internal memory than it advertises and can't use adobe flash player 11 when you need it for allot of websites on the Internet. It has allot of new features than the s3 but it still has issues when it can't do things like moving apps to sd card and less memory than its former version and not being able to get adobe flash player 11. It's a step backwards instead of going forward. The s4 should do the same things that the s3 did plus more. Not less than the previous versions. This is false advertising from the start.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My galaxy s3 had the 16gb that it promised and it also didn't allow me to move my apps to sd card because it said that the actual version of the phone would not allow this not because of Google. But it did allow me to use adobe flash player 11 and the new galaxy s4 will not. It is a false advertising from Samsung and from the mobile phone carrier that the new version of the phone was better than the previous versions of samsung galaxys. But it's not the truth win the new s4 has less internal memory than it advertises and can't use adobe flash player 11 when you need it for allot of websites on the Internet. It has allot of new features than the s3 but it still has issues when it can't do things like moving apps to sd card and less memory than its former version and not being able to get adobe flash player 11. It's a step backwards instead of going forward. The s4 should do the same things that the s3 did plus more. Not less than the previous versions. This is false advertising from the start.

You realize it isn't Samsung's fault that the S4 doesn't support flash, right?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Nope on all counts.

1) Flash was killed on any version of android past 4.0, unless your manufacturer wants to risk the security headache into their own hands and develop on their own. This was done by Adobe and well publicized.

2) The S4 has 16gb of memory on the base model. That is not debatable. The amount of memory available to the user is different, but that is covered by the disclaimers above.

3) Moving apps to Sd has not been supported for almost two years. It is something Google removed from android, and for good reason.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2