Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 118
Like Tree77Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy s4 sd card can't be used to store apps

    When I bought my Galaxy s4 with 16GB internal memory I felt comfortable to give away my S3 to a family member.
    I was convinced that when Samsung in their ads told me that 16GB internal memory was sufficient due to the external memory slot I could buy a 32 GB ext. and all would be fine.
    It isn't. It is impossible to move applications to the external card. I just got a message from the Samsung store where I bought the phone saying: It is impossible to move applications installed from Samsung to the external card. It is also impossible with other downloaded applications according to our supplier.
    This is FRAUD in legal terms.
    Can anyone can suggest a good attorneys office for all of us who feel victim of fraudulent marketing and sales ? - or a better solution - a quick solution to this problem?
    Chaim
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 05-26-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaim5773 View Post
    When I bought my Galaxy s4 with 16GB internal memory I felt comfortable to give away my S3 to a family member.
    I was convinced that when Samsung in their ads told me that 16GB internal memory was sufficient due to the external memory slot I could buy a 32 GB ext. and all would be fine.
    It isn't. It is impossible to move applications to the external card. I just got a message from the Samsung store where I bought the phone saying: It is impossible to move applications installed from Samsung to the external card. It is also impossible with other downloaded applications according to our supplier.
    This is FRAUD in legal terms.
    Anyone can suggest a good attorneys office for all of us who feel victim of fraudulent marketing and sales - or a better solution - a solution to this problem.
    Chaim
    Why make a thread like this, you should have researched it before buying,not being able to move apps to an SD card has been discussed thousands of times.
    Thanked by:
    GadgetGator and guinnkevinr like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 a fraud?

    I listened to the producer. I was not involved in these discussions because I had no reason to. My two former Samsung Galaxies have worked fine. To build an extra storage, and then make it unavailable in the S4, is not an idea you would research. It is an idea which will take you by surprise. Which is evident by the issue of "SD card has been discussed thousands of times" as you write. Millions of consumers await a quick solution on part of Samsung, or a class action will force them to return my 700.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Yes thousands of times is a understatement, any research would tell you this, as a matter of fact just researching android would tell you it can't be done, it's not like samsung is not letting you, it's google

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  
    Jennifer Stough's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,029 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Samsung is not responsible for this. Android by Google, is. The newer versions of android do not allow the transfer of applications to sd.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Calling someone or a company a fraud is pretty serious and I disagree with you. You may be new to android but you should have exercised some judgement before plucking down a couple hundred dollars. There is no device that has 16GB of memory when that is listed so the term fraud is not applicable since I am certain somewhere it says formatted space is less. Granted the S4 OS takes up more than others, but 9GB is a lot of space for apps. It is the android OS not the OEM that removed app to SD. Any android device wth an OS above 4 would have this issue.
    Last edited by planoman; 05-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Kroaker and monsieurms like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    eh... most consumers that go into the stores wont know this... most earlier android owners that are use to moving apps to their sd probably wont know this when they go jelly bean... and most floor walkers at the local phone store or best buy wont know it either... 10 million s4 sold so far... we as a forum community are a tiny bunch in comparison.

    samsung should not have sold a 16gb machine when they knew how much available memory was left after their bloated sw installed... period.
    htc doesnt sell a 16gb one. samsung was being cheap and you have to pay extra for the 32gb.

    but i dont think pursuing legal action is worth it or will gain anything... no fraud... it's a google android jelly bean thing... samsung was just stupid to sell a 16gb version.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan2677 View Post
    Yes thousands of times is a understatement, any research would tell you this, as a matter of fact just researching android would tell you it can't be done, it's not like samsung is not letting you, it's google

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Gator352 likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by lou61166 View Post
    Why make a thread like this, you should have researched it before buying,not being able to move apps to an SD card has been discussed thousands of times.
    I am technically new to Android. I bought the S4 on release date, then realized that there was limited space and I could not transfer apps to the SD card.

    Why should somebody be talked down to without knowing this.

    I even asked about getting the 32gb version and you know what the salespeople told me.

    "You can move apps to the SD card."

    Seriously you should see the shock on their face when I explained to them about the changes Google made.

    I even went on to talk to a couple other locations to see about getting the 32gb S4 and they all said the same exact thing.

    No a consumer should be not in trouble when even the sales people pushing the phone aren't even aware or trained on this issue.
  9. #9  
    Jennifer Stough's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,029 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Remember that this forum is here so that people can come and ask questions, and receive answers. While sometimes the answer could be found by something as simple as searching, it is also common for people to buy the next device in their current line of phones because they are dependable. Not every person researches a device before purchasing it. There is no need to bash or talk down to someone because they are not knowledgeable about something. Remember what momma said. "If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    ^^ True stuff above.
    However, I feel your pain. But as others have said, it's a Google issue. As of now your options are to see if getting the 32 GB version is valid for you, or just go out and get a different phone all-together. For example, that's what I did after learning that 9 GB of remaining storage wasn't going to cut it for me, based on how I was going to utilize the S4 for my needs. I even had to go through AT&T direct for this, as I was one day after the 14 day buyers remorse period! I wish you well bro, but seeking litigation on this IMO is not going to get it done for you. If your still in the BR period, and you want the S4, just see if you can get the higher capacity phone and enjoy. If you can, I believe it's worth it. ( It was for me, I love my S4.) If not, well that's your choice as well.
    Good luck.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    I agree it is fraud. My Verizon S4 only has 9GB out of the box, not the 16GB stated by Samsung/Verizon.
    And it is not any buyer's fault. It is Samsung for advertising it that way.

    If it was 12GB or 14GB like Apple I wouldn't be complaining because it is pretty close. But cutting the storage in half?! Ridiculous.
    3dsmax likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
    I agree it is fraud. My Verizon S4 only has 9GB out of the box, not the 16GB stated by Samsung/Verizon.
    And it is not any buyer's fault. It is Samsung for advertising it that way.

    If it was 12GB or 14GB like Apple I wouldn't be complaining because it is pretty close. But cutting the storage in half?! Ridiculous.
    It's not that it has any less space than any other 16GB phone so it really isn't fraud. It's that more space is now being used by the OS/system than what has historically been used on other phones, leaving less usable space for the user.

    You'd NEVER get 16GB usable space on any device that is advertised as 16GB. The OS has to take up some space.

    But yes, I agree that it's not the greatest situation to be left with under 10gigs.
    21stNow and carolyn60 like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    It's not that it has any less space than any other 16GB phone so it really isn't fraud. It's that more space is now being used by the OS/system than what has historically been used on other phones, leaving less usable space for the user.

    You'd NEVER get 16GB usable space on any device that is advertised as 16GB. The OS has to take up some space.

    But yes, I agree that it's not the greatest situation to be left with under 10gigs.
    As a first time buyer I wish I was told only 10gb would be available and I couldn't move apps to the SD card. If I had known that, I might have held out for the 32gb model or bought a different phone.
    Gator352 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    yeah but to what point is it acceptable? what if a phone was offered with 16bg of memory and the os took 14gb of it?
    is the argument that "you dont get a full 16 with any phone and you have to take into account the os" acceptable?!
    of course not. i think when you practically take half of your advertised storage space, that's unreasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    It's not that it has any less space than any other 16GB phone so it really isn't fraud. It's that more space is now being used by the OS/system than what has historically been used on other phones, leaving less usable space for the user.

    You'd NEVER get 16GB usable space on any device that is advertised as 16GB. The OS has to take up some space.

    But yes, I agree that it's not the greatest situation to be left with under 10gigs.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarishK View Post
    As a first time buyer I wish I was told only 10gb would be available and I couldn't move apps to the SD card. If I had known that, I might have held out for the 32gb model or bought a different phone.
    You could always use the carrier return policy. I can understand, I have a 16GB version myself. For myself, I can make it work.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    You could always use the carrier return policy. I can understand, I have a 16GB version myself. For myself, I can make it work.
    I am in a gray area situation, I bought it from a 3rd party retailer (target mobile). I have a 30 day return policy with them but they are trying to get me the 32gb model. It is on backorder and they are working with me to return it after the 30 days are up.

    My only concern is I have one app that uses about 2.5 gbs of data and even though they state you can move the data to the SD card it is not working properly.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yeah but to what point is it acceptable? what if a phone was offered with 16bg of memory and the os took 14gb of it?
    is the argument that "you dont get a full 16 with any phone and you have to take into account the os" acceptable?!
    of course not. i think when you practically take half of your advertised storage space, that's unreasonable.
    I agree with you that it's bordering on pushing the limits. It's not unforeseen to have phones with this little of storage space. The Nexus 4 has an 8GB and a 16GB model. But I really think that Samsungs next flagship phone will need to come with 32GB as a minimum.

    For me, I don't go more than 12 months on a single phone. I have the 16GB S4 and when I compared my app usage to my 32GB Galaxy Nexus I realized the 9GB of space could get me by. However if I knew I'd have the phone for 2 years, I'd think twice before settling on it.
  18. #18  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Then return it and wait for the back ordered 32 gb model to arrive. The last thing you will want is them telling you that you are out of the return window when it comes in and you are stuck with the phone.

    On my 16 gb S4, I now have almost 8 gb left of the 10 gb available at purchase. All of my pics, videos and music saves to my 32 gb sd card. I have 62 apps installed that use about 1.8 gb of space.

    I used to have a 32 gb iphone 4, and never went over 10 gb with everything stored to the phone. Syncing and removing apps and media were the way to keep the phone running lean.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Same thing happens with computer's hard drive and we all have learned to live with it. Having said that, do you guys know how many apps you need to fill 9 gb ???? ...... I have 46 apps that I have downloaded and I still have 9.72GB left. I know some people is going to say, well I like to play games and they occupy a lot of space and my answer without offending any one and the way I see it is: If you want to play games you have computers and different machines do to so. I have always said since I got my first Black Berry that I use it to run my daily life, calls, text, appointments, banking etc.
    Thanked by:
    Donvald likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    If you want to play games you have computers and different machines do to so.
    The handheld gaming market is falling because of smart phones. The latest phones keep upgrading their gpus because of gaming. If the manufacturers are offering it, it might be because the market might be asking for it. I do not know why people have an issue with the idea that people want to carry around one device and in most cases it is the smart phone.


    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    I have 46 apps that I have downloaded and I still have 9.72GB lef
    Btw I have a non gaming app that uses 2.5 gbs of data. Shocking I know.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    I agree with the op here, Samsung misled it's customers! No phone in this day and age should be less than 32 gb!

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarishK View Post
    Btw I have a non gaming app that uses 2.5 gbs of data. Shocking I know.
    Wow... if you don't mind me asking, what kind of app is that ???
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    Wow... if you don't mind me asking, what kind of app is that ???
    Tom Tom for Android. The map data is huge. I used this instead of Google Maps etc, because the automatic traffic rerouting has been best for me. Supposedly they had made it so the data can be moved to a SD card, but as I found out on their forums, that feature is not working. In one day I may drive anywhere from 150-300 miles so the real time traffic adjustments are life saver.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    *eye rolls*

    I detest the annoying poster in this thread saying it is normal and that PC's have it too because they use 46 apps which barely take up any space.
    Get it through your head - not everyone uses apps that are under 200MB each.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  25. #25  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
    I agree it is fraud. My Verizon S4 only has 9GB out of the box, not the 16GB stated by Samsung/Verizon.
    And it is not any buyer's fault. It is Samsung for advertising it that way.

    If it was 12GB or 14GB like Apple I wouldn't be complaining because it is pretty close. But cutting the storage in half?! Ridiculous.
    Samsung didn't advertise it to have that much storage. That's why it's specifically said that formatted storage will be less.

    Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung Galaxy S4 to Have Ability to See Through Walls!
    By deesugar in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
  2. "The Dream Machine" Published Rumor of Galaxy S4 Specs
    By MittenSportsFan in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
  3. Galaxy S4 Ocoto-Core or Dual Quad-Core?
    By deesugar in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S4
    By ibcop in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
  5. Galaxy S4 Already?
    By matt3166 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions