Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fantom305
  • 1 Post By onick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sending pics/video over wifi through text

On the iphone you are able to send pics and video over wifi to other iphone users. Is this possible on the galaxy? I have my phone on wifi whenever possible, but I can only receive pics through texts when on wifi ... is this normal?
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Default Re: Sending pics/video over wifi through text

Quote Originally Posted by swent1 View Post
    On the iphone you are able to send pics and video over wifi to other iphone users. Is this possible on the galaxy? I have my phone on wifi whenever possible, but I can only receive pics through texts when on wifi ... is this normal?
    Yes, you can attach a picture to text and it will send as MMS. You must have your mobile data turned on as it uses the celluar network, not wifi for MMS. Due to the large picture size it will need to compress the picture. Not sure about sending video MMS since the files will be so large due to 1080p video. There may be a setting on video for MMS, I have not looked. If you have never used the cloud, you can upload videos and then send people a link and they can view the video with the fuss of sending a large file over MMS or even email.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swent1 View Post
    What you're talking about is imessage. That's not sms

Posted via Android Central App

ahhh I guess they are talking about imessage. That is exclusive to iOS devices. It does use SMS when sending to a non iOS device.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

You can send pictures and videos over wifi to other user but only withing range and both devices must be paired.
    Thanked by:
    swent1 
    swent1 likes this.

As others have already mentioned, that functionality comes from iMessage. In android what's app, viber are similar programs, which let its users send text pics and videos over wifi.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    swent1 
    swent1 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by onick View Post
    As others have already mentioned, that functionality comes from iMessage. In android what's app, viber are similar programs, which let its users send text pics and videos over wifi.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
    Yes I probably should've said I meant iMessage ... i really liked that wifi feature but was unsure if android had an equivalent. But if Whats App is able to do it then I will definitely look into that. Thanks !!!
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4