Which is better: Exynos or Snapdragon S4?

sleepypanda19

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I live in Singapore so both versions are available. I want to know which one of the two versions is the better option. We dont have LTE where I reside, so i'm leaning towards the version that's faster and has better battery life, and hopefully the version with less lag.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I live in Singapore so both versions are available. I want to know which one of the two versions is the better option. We dont have LTE where I reside, so i'm leaning towards the version that's faster and has better battery life, and hopefully the version with less lag.

No clue about battery life but the Octo version is about 10-15 percent faster than the quad core version.

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site

if there is no LTE where you live, then go with the octo one....

in performance terms, both handsets perform very similar,
the Octo version is about 10-15 percent faster than the quad core version.

in battery terms, the octo is approximately 30% better...

i have the snapdragon one because there is LTE available in my area, otherwise i would have go with the exynos one

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought both had lte

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

the Exynos version for South Korea has LTE capability... they have different bands for LTE than most of the world, so even if you buy one on Korea and bring it to another country in the world, you probably wouldn't be able to use LTE

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The Korean version of the phone should have simply been the ONLY version

You do realize the only reason for the two versions is Samsung's inability to produce the Exynos version in response to demand. In other words...if there was one version, youd have mass shortages or worse...just shortage with a massively high failure rate.

Posted via Android Central App

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
the Exynos version for South Korea has LTE capability... they have different bands for LTE than most of the world, so even if you buy one on Korea and bring it to another country in the world, you probably wouldn't be able to use LTE

This its what's so exciting about tegra 4, software programmable modems....mmmm...programmable

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You do realize the only reason for the two versions is Samsung's inability to produce the Exynos version in response to demand. In other words...if there was one version, youd have mass shortages or worse...just shortage with a massively high failure rate.

Samsung could easily ramp up production. They are Samsung for crying out loud!

They did it for the note, they could do it for the s4.

No reason we should be cheated out of the best chip.

Don't have enough?

Don't announce it until you're almost done building it.

LTE radio technology was not compatible with the Octocore chipset from my understanding.

They said that last year about the s3 then proceed themselves to be liars

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Don't have enough?

You're vastly simplifying what is a huge and costly endeavor. The octa is a new chip, so yields are likely low... given that they're only pushing it to support the Asian market, which is substantially smaller than the north American market indicates that a small number of chips are in circulation. Qualcomm licensing is a better, of not far more expensive option. With comparable performance, high yield fabs able too produce a comparable solution...it's the best option.

Just push back the release? I don't know off you understand the whole "early bird/worm" dynamic, but Samsung has key deliverable dates they have tho meet to stay on top. Put simpler, had the gs4 not debuted when it did...that 5 million Htc Ones would be a heck of a lot more with the absence of a true competitor...and the gs4 would have looked a whole lot less attractive against similar performing devices likely to see the light of day from Lg and others as the months droned on. The current (almost) s600 variant, remember it's not the exact same chip as in the one, platforms favorably against that device...and nothing else on the market comes close to either one...so for Samsung, the positioning was win win...faster than the direct competitor, and leagues ahead of last green devices like the nexus 4 and I phone5. Seems like pretty smart move to me and about 9 million 999,999 thousand other people that bought one :)

You're also forgetting that while this whole smart phone thing goes on around us...Samsung is desperately ramping up stock for production of next generation tablets that will undoubtedly use the octa...and to an extent...better capitalize on the performance afforded by that chip with the race toward higher resolution screens and the need to push more pixels. Remember, the gs4 is "only" pushing s 1900x1200 panel..far less pixels than the likely 2500x1600 and beyond displays in the next generation of cutting edge tablets...

Jack

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You're vastly simplifying what is a huge and costly endeavor. The octa is a new chip, so yields are likely low... given that they're only pushing it to support the Asian market, which is substantially smaller than the north American market indicates that a small number of chips are in circulation. Qualcomm licensing is a better, of not far more expensive option. With comparable performance, high yield fabs able too produce a comparable solution...it's the best option.

Just push back the release? I don't know off you understand the whole "early bird/worm" dynamic, but Samsung has key deliverable dates they have tho meet to stay on top. Put simpler, had the gs4 not debuted when it did...that 5 million Htc Ones would be a heck of a lot more with the absence of a true competitor...and the gs4 would have looked a whole lot less attractive against similar performing devices likely to see the light of day from Lg and others as the months droned on. The current (almost) s600 variant, remember it's not the exact same chip as in the one, platforms favorably against that device...and nothing else on the market comes close to either one...so for Samsung, the positioning was win win...faster than the direct competitor, and leagues ahead of last green devices like the nexus 4 and I phone5. Seems like pretty smart move to me and about 9 million 999,999 thousand other people that bought one :)

You're also forgetting that while this whole smart phone thing goes on around us...Samsung is desperately ramping up stock for production of next generation tablets that will undoubtedly use the octa...and to an extent...better capitalize on the performance afforded by that chip with the race toward higher resolution screens and the need to push more pixels. Remember, the gs4 is "only" pushing s 1900x1200 panel..far less pixels than the likely 2500x1600 and beyond displays in the next generation of cutting edge tablets...

Jack

I see your point, but if they couldn't use the octacore here they shouldn't use it anywhere.

Keep it uniform

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Don't have enough?

I'm sure Samsung waited as long as they could. But with the HTC One coming out they had to offer the S4 ASAP otherwise, from a marketing standpoint, they might lose some customers by not having a horse in the race. There are a lot of people like me who are coming off their 2 year contracts who bought the first 4G phones.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
They will...

When Note 3 comes out.

Samsung did this with the S3.

As for the OP I would get the Exynos if LTE wasn't available in my area. poketnow did a comparison test and difference wasn't that much.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I see your point, but if they couldn't use the octacore here they shouldn't use it anywhere.

Keep it uniform

Eh...it's still only supporting two platforms...not too hard especially with Qualcomm doing most of the heavy lifting in the kernel/driver department for the s600 variant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12