Galaxy S4: Audio quality flawed

JustHenry88

May 27, 2013
Visit site
So I've just made the switch to the s4 after using an iPhone 4 for almost 3 years and I'm absolutely loving my new device, except for 1 major flaw which is that the audio sounds terrible for music through headphones. Where as the iPhone delivers rich full sound the s4 sounds really flat with no vibrancy. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my device and this just how the s4 sounds. I'm also really surprised (With the exception of the what-hifi review) that no one on the net is really talking about this. I've tried a bunch of different players including the Neutron player which was the only one to really increase sound quality, but it's still not good enough and I don't really know what to do as this is the one thing I'm not willing to compromise on. I'm just wondering if any other music loving s4 users feel this way and if there's anything that can remedy this. It should also be said that I am using some pretty standard headphones that were more than good enough on the iPhone but I'm wondering if investing in some high end headphones would resolve this, it's just a bit off a gamble if they don't.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: S4 audio quality sucks

You need to invest in an audio player with built in gain increase, or the app called Volume +. You can then increase gain to equal the output of the iPhone. Same thing with my iPod 5. Sounds better than any device I have tried. Not just the S4.

JustHenry88

May 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi thanks for the response. Gain isn't really the issue though as the neutron player solved this, it also has a host of eq controls but I still can't seem to master them to make it sound as good ipod/iPhone. It's not so bad with genres such as folk/rock/jazz but when it comes to beat driven music like hip hop the drums sound lousy and thin and I find it hard to immerse myself in my music. I guess I'm gonna have to invest in some ?150-?200 high end phones or swap out the s4 for the HTC one. Which is frustrating as I really like this phone and the main reason I went for it in the first place was for its expandable memory so I can finally hold my my whole music library on my smartphone

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site

You're not giving a whole lot of info. What are you listening to, steaming radio, mp3s. Are you ripping the mp3s yourself, downloading maybe bad rips. What other players did you try? What kind of headphones are you using and have you tried a different set?
I had an issue before the headphone post wasnt pushing in all the way and not making full contact causing half volume.
I'm using a $5 pair of gummies right now and they're louder than the stock headphones, I mow the yard with them without any issues and hear very clear. I can't hear my iPod nano as good mowing. I'm using Rocket Player.
And why would you just swap for the HTC, do you already know that's louder than the s4 or iPhone?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I use some monoprice headphones that sound great with my S4.

GSM Arena tested the One against the S4 in audio quality and the S4 was coming out a little cleaner but the One a little louder-- so I don't know if switching phones will help.
Lastly, have you tried the SoundAdapt feature with the stock player? It supposedly helps you calibrate the player to match your headset by asking you to listen to a series of tones and determining the low and high frequencies the headset can reproduce.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah use adapt sound and get some better headphones . I never tried an iphone but I did get the chance to try the htc one and now own the s4. To my ears with my headphones the s4 sounded really good. The bass and sounds were really good. I am in love with this phone. Good luck.

JustHenry88

May 27, 2013
Visit site

People keep referring to volume but like I said that's not the issue. It's the quality of the audio, I've compared mp3s downloaded from the same source on my iPhone and s4 back to back and the difference is massive. The iPhone has a fuller, deeper more emersive sound where as the s4 sounds dull & flat. I've tried adapt sound but it hasn't had a noticeable effect. The headphones I'm using are also gummies which I've used for around 5 years with an ipod/iphone as well as the stock headphones that come with the s4. The reason I would swap for the HTC one is because I want a top android smart phone of a certain size and these two seem to be the best on the market. I'd be surprised if the audio was also, so badly overlooked on the HTC especially as they seem to have expressed somewhat of an emphasis on audio with their beats endorsement.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

People keep referring to volume but like I said that's not the issue. It's the quality of the audio, I've compared mp3s downloaded from the same source on my iPhone and s4 back to back and the difference is massive. The iPhone has a fuller, deeper more emersive sound where as the s4 sounds dull & flat. I've tried adapt sound but it hasn't had a noticeable effect. The headphones I'm using are also gummies which I've used for around 5 years with an ipod/iphone as well as the stock headphones that come with the s4. The reason I would swap for the HTC one is because I want a top android smart phone of a certain size and these two seem to be the best on the market. I'd be surprised if the audio was also, so badly overlooked on the HTC especially as they seem to have expressed somewhat of an emphasis on audio with their beats endorsement.

I have the one and s4 and came from a 4s. Using the same rocketfish headphones the one and the s4 are about the same and the 4s not as good.

Posted via Android Central App

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site

You do realize that "beats" is mostly an EQ right? If you want better sound invest in some quality headphones that are efficient for mobile devices.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Could this be related to the low impedance issues people are having? We would need to know what headphones you're using specifically.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

Yea my 5th generation ipod touch sounds better than my S4 and I had the HTC One before this and the audio on that was a lot better for hip hop which is what I listen the most to. I would try the HTC One if you are looking for an Android phone with excellent audio

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Try the Equalizer app on the play store
Set custom eq to:
Bass boost 25%

Then get a pair of Woodies in ear headphones off Amazon for $35.

Finally pair the two with the Google play music app and you are good to go.

Sorry I don't have links, but can't post any from where I am right now. PM me if you need more.

JustHenry88

May 27, 2013
Visit site

Try the Equalizer app on the play store
Set custom eq to:
Bass boost 25%

Then get a pair of Woodies in ear headphones off Amazon for $35.

Finally pair the two with the Google play music app and you are good to go.

Sorry I don't have links, but can't post any from where I am right now. PM me if you need more.

Thanks for the advice I'll try out the app

JustHenry88

May 27, 2013
Visit site

Yea my 5th generation ipod touch sounds better than my S4 and I had the HTC One before this and the audio on that was a lot better for hip hop which is what I listen the most to. I would try the HTC One if you are looking for an Android phone with excellent audio

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Are u gonna stick with s4, why did u lose the HTC one

mhynek

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I use Poweramp and a set of Sennheiser ear buds. The combination of the two is outstanding. Very rich bass, crisp highs, and the mids are clear and un-muddled. No complaints.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

When shopping for my phone I brought my Koss head phones (50$ for the pair I have) and used them in both the s4 and the htc One.

I was really impressed with The One but now that I have The One with the head phones that come with it... My Koss head phones are collecting dust. I'm just amazed that this sound comes from a phone.

No experience with Apple though. My daughter had an ipod but I never used it.

Anyways I would suggest just that. Bring your headphones to the store and pop em in lol

Good luck on whatever decision you choose

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

WarEagleDoc

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

You need to invest in an audio player with built in gain increase, or the app called Volume +. You can then increase gain to equal the output of the iPhone. Same thing with my iPod 5. Sounds better than any device I have tried. Not just the S4.

You can't get Volume + on the Galaxy S4