I am exhilarated to finally have figured this out. Kill those bloatware bookmarks!
To note, I did this successfully on my SCH-I545.
Here was my process:
1. Root your phone. If you've never rooted a phone before, you basically have to download the Android Developer SDK, then follow this guide:
2. Use this program to install sqlite3:
3. Install "Terminal Emulator":
4. Open "Terminal Emulator" and use the following commands:
At this point a dialogue should pop up and ask if you would like to provide root access to "Terminal Emulator". It will take a couple of seconds to pop up. Accept it.
You will now be inside an SQL prompt and should see "sqlite>" heading your commands.
delete from bookmarks;
5. At this point those bookmarks will be gone. Enjoy!
If you have any problems with this ask away! I am strongly against companies putting unremovable bloatware on the devices we BUY and OWN.
I should note this is for getting rid of the bloatware bookmarks on the stock "Internet 1.0" browser. For Chrome all you have to do is disable a service called "com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks" in the application settings. This doesn't require rooting your phone. Refer to:
Portions of this page are modifications based on work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project
and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License. AndroidCentral is an independent site
that is not affiliated with or endorsed by Google.