Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachedTexan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S4 screen turning on when locked

Hey guys I just got an S4 a couple weeks ago and have noticed that the screen has been turning on by itself even after locked - leading to poor battery life. For example, I will have locked and turned the screen off, and then an hour later I will notice the screen is on w/o any calls/txts or contact with the phone. I have the incipio phone cover that protects the screen as well as the phone. Does anybody know what could be causing this?
    Thanked by:
    DaliaMohy likes this.

Default Re: S4 screen turning on when locked

Maybe you keep pressing the 'ON' switch accidentally? Or the Home button... I know this used to happen to a friend of mine on his S3 and the culprit was his cover, which kept the button so tight it actually registered a press every now and then. Or maybe you've activated the voice command to auto-activate either Google Now or S-Voice and they're 'hearing' you say the command and turn on...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't think it is the cover because I just tried to turn on the screen by applying pressure to the cover at the home button without any effect. I also do not think it is the voice command because it turns on when I haven't said a word (locked, screen off on nightstand while reading book - then notice screen is on). Thanks for the suggestions though, it is something to think about.

Mmmm... is the screen fully on or just a preview of things? It could be the 'Quick Glance' feature... it reacts to proximity but I've seen it go wonky at times... Or maybe there's a faulty/dirty USB Port in your phone (Samsung, unfortunately, is known to have a lot of these ). A dirty USB port can cause your phone to think you've plugged a charger or data cable in, so it turns the screen on. Also, in severe cases, it can also falsely register Home Button presses, which leads to S-Voice popping up on its own. Try cleaning the port with a soft brush (while the phone is off), but if it keeps happening, I'd take it in for replacement.

I have the same problem with my S4 too. Even when it's unplugged. It's driving me crazy I can't find out why.

I have the same problem which occurs randomly when I turn the screen off with the power button and place the phone down it turns back on seemingly randomly. And no, I'm not double pressing the power button either.

Completely, perplexed.

All of the following options are off:
    -Smart screen
    -Air view

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Interesting...could there be an app that is sincing in the backround and activating the screen?

Cheers

This was a common problem with the original Galaxy S running the 2.3.4 (I think). It was fixed with a later software update. Same thing will probably happen here.

Same thing is happening to me. I just bought the phone today, I've done two factory resets and it continues to turn on by itself while locked and just sitting there.

I am thinking and I might be wrong just putting it out there could it be something syncing in the background that makes your phone light up

Sent from Galaxy S4
    Techeasy ABC
    iPad iPhone 4,4s,5,5s Nexus 7 (2013) Galaxy S4 Nexus 5 and so much more.....

My quick glance always activates every 20 minutes and I don't even do it...it's weird.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIV using Tapatalk 4

I've been annoyed with the screen turning itself on and I played with many settings and I think that actually you have to turn off the 'Smart Stay' feature (in settings under 'Smart Screen').

Hope this helps.

I am having the same issue. It's very strange. I am also having an issue where I am looking at the phone vertically & then it turns horizontally without me initiating it to & then it will not go back to vertical unless I hit the home key. One last issue is when I go to respond to a text, the keyboard popping up is delaying a bit. Never used to do that. Any suggestions?

hi i have the same problem did you fix it????

Arrow Re: S4 screen turning on when locked

i think its BBM what is doing it

if you have bbm installed just remove it and chek it worked for me

I found this on another forum, and so far this solution is working for me. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.

I have a S4 Active.

I had the same problem where the screen would light up every 20 minutes or so.
    I had set my Date & Time to AUTOMATIC DATE & TIME.

After I had disabled this feature I no longer get a screen random light up.

Cheers,
    Dave

I think I just figured it out. Check your display settings for lock screen and make sure to remove the checkmark from "help text" This worked for me.
    Settings > my device > lock screen > help text. Remove checkmark.

Hope this helps

Posted via Android Central App