Samsung Galaxy S4 sales seen reaching 80 million units

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Good news for S4 owners. When developers, accessory manufactures and others who provide services and goods for the smartphone industry look to where profits lie they will devote their energies to a best selling phone. And Samsung will be very attentive to such a large user base. My S4 purchase is looking better and better.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Who cares, but you,I do not base my phone buying decision off of sales,in the end its a phone it is not life and death.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lets be nice. Tohio is just informing his fellow s4 owners of the status of sales. If this had been posted in the one forum, then there would have been a problem. But its not, and there's not.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Who cares, but you,I do not base my phone buying decision off of sales,in the end its a phone it is not life and death.

I think the point was that there should be plenty of accessories for this phone, not get this phone because everybody else is. And yes I do care, I waited forever to get docks etc. for my Gnex but it was in vain. Nobody wanted to make them.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I care. A good reason I chose the S4 was because of the support it will be getting from manufactures and developers. Let's not forget re sale value ;).
Sales alone are not enough to make me buy a phone.. if that was the case i'd have an ip5. But it's good to know your selection of accessories are pretty much endless.
Also doesn't hurt to have a phone that people actually want to buy.... When time to sell comes (about every 4/5 months LOL)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy it. The current ten million is not selling through yet, so considering the sell through rate diminishes over time, it seems that is overstated by at least ten million. Still a bunch of devices.

Are there that many people that do not play many games on their phones? ;) 9gb app storage for the masses.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I can remember having the captivate and SGSII etc and it would take weeks upon weeks to get good cases etc. Everthing was iphone, iphone, iphone. I actually had my seidio surface combo in my hands when my S4 arrived at my door on May 13.

Does the overall sales matter? Maybe not for choosing a device but for getting quality and timely accessories? Yes it does!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't buy it. The current ten million is not selling through yet, so considering the sell through rate diminishes over time, it seems that is overstated by at least ten million. Still a bunch of devices.

Are there that many people that do not play many games on their phones? ;) 9gb app storage for the masses.

I play no games on my phones. Nexus 7 and ipad 4 for that!

BKBayemi

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Good news for S4 owners. When developers, accessory manufactures and others who provide services and goods for the smartphone industry look to where profits lie they will devote their energies to a best selling phone. And Samsung will be very attentive to such a large user base. My S4 purchase is looking better and better.

I love this guy. Lmao, you crack me up!

Posted via Android Central App

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

For a good explanation of what sales mean to the manufacture see this: Shipped vs Sold | N4G

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Point is there is a profound difference between sold into channels and sold to consumers. For Samsung to extrapolate 80 million at this point seems more a point for marketing propaganda.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Point is there is a profound difference between sold into channels and sold to consumers. For Samsung to extrapolate 80 million at this point seems more a point for marketing propaganda.

Well there's your problem right there. You didn't read the article in the OP. Samsung didn't say they would sell 80 million phones a financial analyst did:

"...RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue:, Galaxy S4 sales will hit 80 million units this year."

?Galaxy S-4 demand in the first month of availability has been incrementally better than our estimate of 10M units,? Sue wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. ?In comparison, the S-III took nearly 2 months (50 days) to achieve the 10M units mark. Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores indicate that demand for the 16G S-4 devices remains strong with 32G Black devices mostly sold-out and 32G White devices yet to make it to the stores.?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It was not samsung saying that from what I saw. It was some mobile device analyst from rbc markets. They usually know their business pretty well. Also BGR is not known to love samsung. They are apple fans if memory serves me. Have not read them in a few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Who cares what it sells?

I'm not making a dime off of it so why should I care?

Sales mean nothing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned before people care because you get more accessories, more developers better re sale value etc...
If a phone sells 80m units you know there will be TONS of cases, screen protectors and accessories in general.
Also support for this phone will be huge. And when time comes to sell the device... people will buy it

Who cares what it sells?

Sales mean nothing

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Who cares what it sells?

Sales mean nothing

Think of it this way: If you are a manufacture who sells batteries (or cases or screen protectors or whatever) for the S4 you will be ecstatic that the S4 sells 10 million units. And if you are one of those manufactures deciding what phone to make accessories for you'll probably pick as a first choice the most popular Android phone. Ask some of the lesser selling phone owners how many after market accessories are available for their phones. This isn't about sales equaling the quality of the phone at all. But you might make money if you buy an S4 when it come to reselling it because it is so popular.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So is the demand for the device channel biased? Best Buy and Verizon have plenty of stock, per their own management. I wish it were due to lack of a 32gb model and people waiting for it ;) , but more likely the millions of devices stuffed into channels.

Good catch on where the 80M statement came from. We all know business analysts are always correct ;) I myself in my industry have an R Square of .99. Not. :)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So is the demand for the device channel biased? Best Buy and Verizon have plenty of stock, per their own management. I wish it were due to lack of a 32gb model and people waiting for it ;) , but more likely the millions of devices stuffed into channels.

Good catch on where the 80M statement came from. We all know business analysts are always correct ;) I myself in my industry have an R Square of .99. Not. :)

It wasn't much of a catch, it was right there in the article. Not sure what you are saying about devices stuck in channels. They are either at the manufacture or at the store. Bottom line is based on existing sales Samsung will sell many millions of phones. It is hard to believe that retailers would order 10 million phones just to have them sit on their shelves. If they did they won't be in business long. Regarding analysts, they live or die by their projections so I'm confident this one did his homework before speaking for his Company.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't much of a catch, it was right there in the article. Not sure what you are saying about devices stuck in channels. They are either at the manufacture or at the store. Bottom line is based on existing sales Samsung will sell many millions of phones. It is hard to believe that retailers would order 10 million phones just to have them sit on their shelves. If they did they won't be in business long. Regarding analysts, they live or die by their projections so I'm confident this one did his homework before speaking for his Company.

When it comes to mobile, analysts are frequently wrong.

Also, what the other user was saying is that Samsung is counting sales that include devices that are sitting in warehouses and stores. It is impossible for anyone except Samsung to know how quickly they're selling and how long they sit there, because analysts might not like the answer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to mobile, analysts are frequently wrong.

Also, what the other user was saying is that Samsung is counting sales that include devices that are sitting in warehouses and stores. It is impossible for anyone except Samsung to know how quickly they're selling and how long they sit there, because analysts might not like the answer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Actually it is the stores not Samsung who know how many phones have sold to the public. Once Samsung or any other manufacturer sells these phones they have lost control of the physical device. Did you miss this part of the article: "Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores.." They actually canvassed stores. They didn't rely on forum posters or rumors. Why on earth would the analysts not like the answer? They were posting their analysis and research findings. Do you think if they found S4s in not selling they wouldn't have reported it and made their projections based on that? Do you think there is some conspiracy by the firm involved to collude with Samsung to mislead the public? This information is the most factual we have. Notice that it did not came from an unnamed source.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually it is the stores not Samsung who know how many phones have sold to the public.

Samsung definitely knows. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

Once Samsung or any other manufacturer sells these phones they have lost control of the physical device.
Physical device, yes. But they certainly would have the ability to track inventory carefully. You'd be surprised at the amount of information shared between retailers and vendors.

Did you miss this part of the article: "Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores.." They actually canvassed stores. They didn't rely on forum posters or rumors.

Channel checks aren't a valid way of measuring sales, or stock, at least in the way these analysts do it. They would have to check a wide swath of stores across the US (we're talking hundreds, if not thousands of them) for the results to be statistically relevant.

Why on earth would the analysts not like the answer?

Because there's definitely a large number of devices in warehouses right now, or sitting in stores. Only, the only people that know how many exactly, are Samsung and the retailers. Too many devices sitting in those places are not a good thing, which is why samsung will never say how many there are. (Just like apple or HTC won't either)

They were posting their analysis and research findings. Do you think if they found S4s in not selling they wouldn't have reported it and made their projections based on that? Do you think there is some conspiracy by the firm involved to collude with Samsung to mislead the public?

No, not at all. Nowhere did I say that, but nice try attempting to stir stuff up.

Look, the S4 is selling. We know its selling. A lot. But analysts rarely, if ever, peg sales correctly. All this 'analysis' was meant to do was drive the stock price up. Like everything of this sort, its a guess of what the S4 may sell. It ignores the effect of competitors like the iPhone in the fall, and unknowns like the next iOS. I would expect these projections to be altered down after WWDC and the new iOS is unveiled. It's what always happens when analysts guess using things not based in fact.

This information is the most factual we have.
Factual needs to be in quotes, because even this is not factual. It's a guess.

Notice that it did not came from an unnamed source.

Ah yes, there's the inevitable dig. At least this time you're not pretending like you're interested in an impartial conversation.