Anyone else not impressed with the camera?!

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
GS4 has more detail in well lit areas even on a smaller screen. It is not just the resolution on your monitor or the resolution of your camera. The One displays less detail. But, that doesn't mean it is bad at all. I think it is great. I would prefer the One over S4 camera, because more often than not, I am taking photos in low light. But even so, I would rather have Lumia 925 camera than either of these 2 phones. But 925 has Windows Phone 8 and that OS is frustrating to use.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
You said your one "was a grainy mess" which would be defective. What you posted isn't defective.

You said take the same image - but you haven't done that. You may have stood in approximately the same place, but due to the fact that the cameras have different focal length lenses, the image is not comparabe. You are able to read the logo on the mirror in the S4 vs not in the One due to the relative size of the object in the photo. The one has a wider lens and therefore all objects appear farther away than the s4. Same as saying you take a picture with a dslr with a wide angle lens and a zoom lens. Obviously, the zoom lens would allow you to read details of a sign further away. If you retake the pictures where the mirror is the same size in the resulting photo, you would see they were very similar. They will never be exact because of different focal length. Same goes for the trees. Look at the detail level in the trees further back in the S4 picture, they loose detail as well.

It is just like when I posted my examples with excellent detail, you said the s4 would have more detail. It wouldn't, if taken with the objects at the same size in the resulting photo and posted online.

Now, for you, the additional focal length could be important as you may be taking pictures from where you can't get closer to get the equivalent view. So, I would have not disputed what you said if you said you found the focal length of the s4 preferable (and the need to crop). Of course the opposite could be true for others- they need more coverage of a scene and can't move further away. But that isn't what was said. What was said is

Like I said, I'm not a photographer. I just take pictures of what I need to with whatever camera I have on hand when the need arises. Focal length was the term I was looking for. What you say makes sense. I suppose if I were to get closer to the car the mirror logo would be legible. I stood in the same spot outside my garage with both phones in hand shooting the same objects as that is the only way I knew to make my point of the difference in focal length. So, yeah, the S4 camera seems to be more practical for *my use* in most situations. I hate carrying a dslr or even point and shoot with me as I have enough crap to carry around as it is. Just to clarify, I'm not disappointed in the quality of the One camera at all. I'm just going to have to learn to live within the limitations of it and perhaps carry my Galaxy Camera in my truck console for the moments that I might need it :D

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol thats zoe? So this is actually why people are saying HTC has better camera features. Doesn't make any sense.

GS4 Love

The zoe and picture highlights features are actually pretty useful. And it helps differentiate from a standard point and click camera device (not just talking about s4). Its fun, and fresh. I hope it encourages other manufacturers to spice up their camera features.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

UseA Launcher

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The zoe and picture highlights features are actually pretty useful. And it helps differentiate from a standard point and click camera device (not just talking about s4). Its fun, and fresh. I hope it encourages other manufacturers to spice up their camera features.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

I'm not saying they're not fun, but to the point where people think its better software than the S4? Nahhhh

GS4 Love

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying they're not fun, but to the point where people think its better software than the S4? Nahhhh

GS4 Love

I have both. Much prefer HTC One camera features. That said, the S4 holds its own and seems to value different things.

For low light performance and a fun out of the box camera experience, I reach for the One. If lighting is good and I'm concerned about megapixels (rarely), then the S4 is the go to.

Posted via Android Central App

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't use auto mode. That makes them grainy. Switch to indoor mode with flash when indoors... or try HDR mode. That takes fabulous pics

sent from Galaxy Note 2

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't use auto mode. That makes them grainy. Switch to indoor mode with flash when indoors... or try HDR mode. That takes fabulous pics

sent from Galaxy Note 2

I absolutely HATE using the flash except for "fill" purposes. This isn't specific to the S4; no matter what the camera/phone, if you can get great low light pictures without resorting to flash, you'll likely be happier for it. That's one of the reasons I value good/great low light performance. I will, however, see how I feel about the S4's HDR performance.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely HATE using the flash except for "fill" purposes. This isn't specific to the S4; no matter what the camera/phone, if you can get great low light pictures without resorting to flash, you'll likely be happier for it. That's one of the reasons I value good/great low light performance. I will, however, see how I feel about the S4's HDR performance.

There is also a low light mode on galaxy phones

sent from Galaxy Note 2

UseA Launcher

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both. Much prefer HTC One camera features. That said, the S4 holds its own and seems to value different things.

For low light performance and a fun out of the box camera experience, I reach for the One. If lighting is good and I'm concerned about megapixels (rarely), then the S4 is the go to.

People are so obssesed with low light photos suddenly. I find myself using almost all features, obviously not all the time but given the right opportunity every feature can come in handy. As for low light unless you're a landscape photo freak, I'll use flash in almost all my pictures.

GS4 Love

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Lol thats zoe? So this is actually why people are saying HTC has better camera features. Doesn't make any sense.

GS4 Love

Nope, that's a highlight reel with Zoe's and photos included. Zoe takes a few seconds of video and 20 photos at the same time. It also takes 0.6 of a second before you press the shutter. Apart from being able to create highlight reel from the video, or being able to choose from the 20 photos, it also allows you to use features such as sequence shots or eraser shot... after you take a Zoe. This means that unlike the S4, you don't have to know that someone's going to photo-bomb or look good in a sequence shot beforehand. Instead you have some video, 20 photos, the ability to add features and edit afterwards and then the highlights reel.

And that's why reviewers and users love Zoe :)

Tom

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

GS4 Love

Another thing to note is that the still of the springrolls above was from a zoe sequence. The zoes take 20 full res. images and the short video. The zoe has a lot of uses, including helping in low light plus all the editing options.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
People are so obssesed with low light photos suddenly. I find myself using almost all features, obviously not all the time but given the right opportunity every feature can come in handy. As for low light unless you're a landscape photo freak, I'll use flash in almost all my pictures.

GS4 Love

Obviously each person's use varies, but most of my photos are indoors, with another large amount at night, late evenings, etc. So, yes, low light is a priority for ME. And like I said, I avoid flash when at all possible. A good many people who dabble in photography will do the same.

The S4 camera excels in many areas and I think I'll likely get a fair amount of use out of it. But so far, its low light performance is outperformed by my other options. Your experience may vary.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

GS4 Love

I wouldn't say lately. I think since the day cameras were invented, there has been a general obsession with improving film and camera abilities to shoot in available light.

99.99% of the time natural light makes for more pleasing photos unless you go to off camera and/or multi light setups - but then you wouldn't use a phone except as a gimmick.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
coming from iPhone 5. I find the S4 camera to be better. I get amazing photos with the S4. I find myself taking more pictures just to see how they will turn out.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else coming from iPhones feel this way?? Solutions? (don't be a smart *** I know how to use a camera i shoot with a 5d mark3) thanks!! :)
Last night my wife and I tried to get some pictures of our two year old at the same time. She as an iPhone 5 and I have an S4. The color tint was a bit different between the two but the actual quality of the pictures we got (I was on Sport mode) was pretty similar. With the lighting we had neither were all that great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21