Maps using 80% of battery?

alus415

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone help me figure out what settings in maps could be using my battery while idle . I checked and maps is using 80% of my battery and I think this happened only after I enabled google now .

Also in the topic of Google Now how can I turn it off / disable it? I don't think I'm going to be using it as much.

Thanks

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone help me figure out what settings in maps could be using my battery while idle . I checked and maps is using 80% of my battery and I think this happened only after I enabled google now .

Also in the topic of Google Now how can I turn it off / disable it? I don't think I'm going to be using it as much.

Thanks

This is a problem on my mom's S4, but thankfully not on mine. I don't know why this happens. Every time she turns the phone off, whenever she turns it on, Maps is eating 80-85% battery. I have NO idea how to fix this, but I'd like to know so I can fix her phone for her.

PS: Location Services is off, sync is off, data is off, it's set to sync manually on wifi, so what's up with that?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm working on getting to the bottom of this as well. I tried just disabling "Location History" but that didn't seem to help. Now I've disabled all of the "Location Sharing" and "Location Reporting" features as well as disabling any cards in Google Now that rely on location (nearby events, weather, traffic, public alerts, photo spots, next appointment, public transit, travel tools) and it seems to be helping. While I haven't gone a whole day with it like this, my Maps battery usage is now down to the same level as my "Device Idle" and "Google Services" battery usage rather than being on par with how much battery the display uses.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes while in google now, hit the menu button and then setting and you can turn it off there.

Have you all allowed the maps and gps to access your location? I know it sounds wierd but I believe in Jelly bean, you have to allow the gps to read you information including maps. It does ask you to allow this in setting up the phone byt some may hit no.

To enable go to settings,
Accounts tab at top and then press on your google account
then select location settings and make use you have that on.

I have heard that if this is off your maps cannot use your gps and will cause maps to show in the battery stats...

Not 100% sure but worth a try!

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Before adjusting your location settings on maps and Google Now, go to your settings-Application Manager and look for maps on all tab, and clear your cache and data, next time you open maps will tell you that it's updating latest version or something like that, then double check your location history, it should take care of the issue from now on, just give a full battery cycle after that.

jsz3us

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
If you have setup maps to enable offline navigation, that will keep maps on in background and use your battery. Does this apply to your situation.

Posted via Android Central App

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Maps does use too much but this may only be because you don't have your screen on long enough. ;-p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Something has to use battery. One thing to realize is that multiple google apps will share the same processes. So maps or G+ might look abnormal but aren't necessarily.
If it's at the top of the battery consumption list and the phone mostly sleeps, and it sounds like it is, you might need to adjust the location sharing options. You can also download an app like "Greenify" that you can use to tell those problem apps to hibernate and/or "Autostarts" to keep them from starting upon boot. It's a bandaid, but it helps.

Posted via Android Central App

mpshah

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
pa7y8ata.jpg

I'm facing the same issue. Tried everything including factory reset but nothing seems to fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm working on getting to the bottom of this as well. I tried just disabling "Location History" but that didn't seem to help. Now I've disabled all of the "Location Sharing" and "Location Reporting" features as well as disabling any cards in Google Now that rely on location (nearby events, weather, traffic, public alerts, photo spots, next appointment, public transit, travel tools) and it seems to be helping. While I haven't gone a whole day with it like this, my Maps battery usage is now down to the same level as my "Device Idle" and "Google Services" battery usage rather than being on par with how much battery the display uses.
Using these settings all weekend pushed my Maps usage back down to the mid single digits for the day. I've estimated that doing that saved about 20% battery usage (not 20% of what I use for the day, 20% of the total capacity). This includes having a location based (net, not GPS) profile set up in Tasker and a weather widget running. On a work day with the old settings I'd end up at about 20% left when I went for bed. On Sunday I used the new settings, I used it much more than I do at work and ended up with 40% battery left.

Maps does use too much but this may only be because you don't have your screen on long enough. ;-p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Maps shouldn't take 20% of my total battery capacity for the day even when I don't even open the app. Yeah something has to use the battery and if you don't turn on the screen something else has to be on top, but the amount of battery Maps has been taking is way beyond what any reasonable person would expect. I've never had Maps take anywhere near that much battery life in my previous two phones even when I have used it for navigation.