1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Charging dock with headphone support

Hello all,

I've tried both of these docks:
    - Samsung Galaxy Multimedia Desktop Charging Dock (Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Multimedia Desktop Charging Dock for Samsung Galaxy Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories)
    - Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock Multimedia Hub (Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock Multimedia Hub: Cell Phones & Accessories)

Unfortunately, neither of them support plugging in headphones! I can't believe this ...

Anyone familiar with any other charging docks that support headphones?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

Default Re: Charging dock with headphone support

Either should work fine, they both have 3.5mm audio jacks you can plug headphones into.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Negative, they do not work, no audio comes through them. I've verified on both, with multiple headphones. The first link, in the instructions, it even states "headphones not recommended", well, they're not recommended because they don't work.

If you haven't done so, you need to activate audio output mode through the dock via your phone settings menu Settings> My Device> Accessory> Audio Output Mode> Check "Use External Speakers When Docked". If external Speakers are working after you've done this, but headphones still are not (not sure why this would be though unless your phones have an impedance mismatch with the audio output jack), then use a pair of wired and preferably powered (so you can adjust the amplified output level) desktop computer speakers that have an integral headphone jack. Many inexpensive speaker sets have this feature. HTH.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Thank you vferrari , that did work; however ... there is no bass now. I'm assuming this is why they say headphones are not recommended ... really weird.

I have the multimedia hub dock for my s4 and note 8. I'll experiment with some headphone and speaker combinations and report back in a few days. In the meantime, what you are reporting (lack of bass response) sounds typically like the plug might not be fully pushed into the jack. I'll see if I can replicate the issue on my dock assuming you are still experiencing the issue after you've checked plug engagement. Also, see if you can plug some speakers in to see if the bass issue is still present, which might point to an issue with the output jack. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

The audio output jack on the back of these 2 units is meant to be a line out which is supposed to be hooked up to speakers, not headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    The audio output jack on the back of these 2 units is meant to be a line out which is supposed to be hooked up to speakers, not headphones.
    Well if its a true line level output, it couldn't even be hooked up to (passive) speakers directly either (basically the same as hooking it up to headphones), it would have to be hooked up to an amplifier or a set of powered/amplified speakers.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I've also tried to get the audio output for my S4 to a powered set of speakers, but no joy.

Also, While I've managed to get the HDMI port to let me see my S4 screen via a monitor, can't use the USB ports for anything other than for charging.

Any suggestions?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Yeah just verified again ... the Multimedia Desktop definitely isn't pushing enough.

I have the Smart Dock showing up tomorrow. I only tested it at VZW store before I knew about having to enable it. I'm assuming the same problem will exist.

I also ordered the Bolse (Amazon.com: Bolse Micro Usb Charging Dock Cradle with Audio Output for Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Note 2, and table PC: Cell Phones & Accessories). So I'll see tomorrow if I have any luck with either. If not, I don't foresee too many options here.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Well, the expensive Multimedia Hub does not allow sound, even with changing the accessory options. The Bolse only powers one channel and sounds very weak.

This is awful, why is it so difficult to power headphones? So is the only option to hook up external speakers (that have their own power source) and then plug into those? Basically what I'm trying to do is alleviate having two sets of headphones while at work. Being that we can use our phones through software on our desktops, I simply split my audio connection between my phone and headset so that I can switch between the two as need be. The dock was simply a nice to have because of the charging and convenience. Furthermore, the new case I have on my phone (official Samsung bumper case), doesn't have a large enough hole for the 3.5mm splitter.

Any suggestions? At this point I think my best option is to either get a set of speakers or go bluetooth. Such a PITA for something that seems so trivial ...

Thanks

Just came here researching this issue. Hard to believe it won't power headphones from the dock. Has anyone found a good workaround? I'd prefer to just keep headphones plugged into the dock at my desk so I can grab my phone and go when I have to leave my desk. Somewhat of a pain to take out/plug in headphones multiple times a day, plus unnecessary wear and tear on the plug. Arrgh, the heartbreak of 1st world problems!

I guess I could use my BT headphones, but cheapo plugins are much less tempting to steal off my desk.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Just came here researching this issue. Hard to believe it won't power headphones from the dock. Has anyone found a good workaround? I'd prefer to just keep headphones plugged into the dock at my desk so I can grab my phone and go when I have to leave my desk. Somewhat of a pain to take out/plug in headphones multiple times a day, plus unnecessary wear and tear on the plug. Arrgh, the heartbreak of 1st world problems!

I guess I could use my BT headphones, but cheapo plugins are much less tempting to steal off my desk.
    Sadly, I gave up the hunt ... I would love to find a solution though.
    Thanked by: