What I don't like about the S4. What's your list?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
1. I've never liked Touchwiz, it's simply too big and bloated. I prefer either stock, or extremely light weight skins. If I wanted a bunch of features which are more useful for their advertising than they are in real world use, I'll download apps.You went way too overboard, Samsung and it shows.

2. Button layout. Simply put, I hate it, along with physical home buttons which are a 2008 thing.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate the fact I can no longer S beam music like I could with the S3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
1. I've never liked Touchwiz, it's simply too big and bloated. I prefer either stock, or extremely light weight skins. If I wanted a bunch of features which are more useful for their advertising than they are in real world use, I'll download apps.You went way too overboard, Samsung and it shows.

2. Button layout. Simply put, I hate it, along with physical home buttons which are a 2008 thing.

I concur. I also want to say that no phone is perfect (at least for me). HTC One has a moronic button layout that you can't even disable and has a curved back (can't use while flat on the desk for example). Nexus 4 is fragile and doesn't come with LTE (I'm on Verizon). So I went with GS4 and this is my first Samsung phone.

1. I've read many times that TouchWiz is bloated but I thought maybe it's just when compared to iPhone. Well, it really is unnecessarily complex and I've had nothing but Android phones/Tablets. Laggy too for this HW.
2. Button layout my biggest gripe because it's hard to mask it since it's not SW. It baffles my mind that OEMs think that making inconsistent (from pure Android) button layouts will somehow attract the customers. I guess they want to "lock" you in on their user experience.... Samsung also sells a ton of phones so they won't change.
3. Very sensitive screen but it may be just the launcher I'm using (ADWLauncher EX). I installed it right away so I haven't had much experience with stock launcher.
4. Bloat bloat bloat bloat! My God! Verizon stuffed it with crap (especially apps) I never intend to use and I can't even uninstall them.... yeah yeah I know they can be frozen.

Anyway, I can't wait for the Google Edition ROM to come out for Verizon so I can flush it. I basically bought this phone for the HW and this was my intent. Will disable the capacitive buttons to make it like true Nexus with SW buttons and this will be my phone for the next 2+ years.
I LOVE the simplicity but yet flexibility and cleanliness of the stock Android.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't find this app. Found an app called Network Refresher (trial, lite, & pro versions). Is that the one?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

Sorry you know how it is with apps, the app itself sometimes has a different name when it's downloaded under the icon. It's called network signal speed booster.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
All it does is toggle Airplane mode,which can be done without this app.

Yup! That's true, you don't need an app to do something you can do easily on the phone.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually sent samsung an email and they wrote me back to do a hard reset, has anyone done a hard reset on their S4 yet?

Posted via Android Central App

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is bloated, overdone, and lacks design. It makes the phone laggy, when it should be super speedy. That's my biggest gripe.

All in all, a really nice phone which is doing a fantastic job replacing my work iPhone. Unfortunately, it's not a phone that I can say that I love. If touchwiz were greatly improved, and a lot of the bloat removed, that could definitely change.

I would also prefer larger storage options to an SD card slot. Give me 64GB internal storage any day.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I found most of your comments about the S4 to be about spot on as I also own the S4. I gave it to my daughter and picked me up the stealth black One and couldn't be happier.

I will be getting a GS4 or HTC One in a couple of weeks. Since you own them both, I like to know what made you change to a HTC One from the GS4. Which one takes better pictures and any other info you like to share about these 2 phones. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting a GS4 or HTC One in a couple of weeks. Since you own them both, I like to know what made you change to a HTC One from the GS4. Which one takes better pictures and any other info you like to share about these 2 phones. Thanks in advance.

First and foremost, You need to go to the store and actually hold, play with, and get used to both phones before actually making a decision. They both have their strengths and weaknesses that only YOU can decide upon....They both are great phones....with that said...

I had the S3 and traded it in for the (silver) One because the One intrigued me. Within my 14 days, the S4 came out and since I had the S3 previously, I figured I would stay with the ecosystem I have and trade for the S4. After using the S4, I decided I liked the One better, mostly due to personal preference though. It just felt better to me. So I used another upgrade and got the stealth black one and gave the S4 to my daughter who broke her Photon Q. The UI is smoother, faster, and doesn't look cartoonish like touchwiz does. I guess you can say the One looks more professional. The battery life on the One is amazing. They say the S4 beats the One in batt life but I can say for a fact that is NOT true. Turn off all features to both phones and they are about the same. The S4 has a plethora of features but with them on, battery life diminishes.

The S4's camera UI is awesome. Lots of features. And if I had to say which one takes better pictures, it would be the S4. But the One's camera is nothing to sneeze at. Highlights and Zoe's are cool. I think the One takes slightly better pics in low light but the S4 takes better pics in well lit areas. They both have a ton of features to tweak for better photos. Honestly though, I don't take to many pictures...my daughter does, but I don't. I have a DSLR I use for taking pictures to print.

Overall, I just liked the One better. It suited me. The S4 is a good phone too and that's why I say go hold both. You can't go wrong with either of them!!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have played just a bit with both phones, but still undecided. I do take a lot of pics with my phone, it's actually my main camera. I think that if the S4 had metal that would be my phone.

One thing that is a plus for me; Signal strength. I know from personal experience that my Motorola phones (present and past) have had better signal in places where my HTC Evo, Evo 3D, BlackBerry, Palm Prē and others didn't have! I normally work in places with just 1 or 2 bars of 3G, even my boss doesn't get signal sometimes with his Verizon Motorola Razr Maxx!

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What I hate about the Galaxy S4? Well....

?All the extra features taking up the internal storage. I wish there was an option to uninstall certain features and reinstall them in case we want those back

?The camera UI is a bit clunky due to the craploads of settings, though this is minor at best.

?The exterior is pretty rigid, though I hear a little bit of creaking now and then while holding it. Also, I find the slightly flimsy battery cover and power button susceptible to damage from heavy use.

?TouchWiz, need I say more? The phone may be using premium hardware but it isn't worth sh*t if the UI/UX makes the entire experience one that consists of multiple instances of lagging. Also, speakerphone sound is tinny, with little comprehendible bass output: It's all highs and some mediums.

Thankfully, custom ROMs are already available for this bad boy, which will solve ALL problems I've mentioned besides the cosmetic exterior ones.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I hate is not having the GS4 now!!! I'll have to wait until I can upgrade.

Anyway, that'll give me more time to play in store with the GS4 and the HTC One so I can better choose one of them.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic comments. You should be reviewing phones for a blog - such as this one perhaps.
Very happy to see your comment about the screen sensitivity. I noticed that just breathing on the screen results in a "touch" (slight exaggeration.)
Are you kidding me ??? if he wrote for a blog no one will buy a phone... there is so much negativity that is out of this world.......

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's a little compilation of things I don't like about the S4. Don't get me wrong, I have a large list of things I love about the phone. However, some of the downsides (for me) may sway me toward a new phone in 2 years, or even 1 year from now.

All the same, it's a great phone. I could go on about the things I love about it, but here's most of the stuff I've noticed I don't like about the phone.

What have you found to be a pain?

The big downsides:
- The touchscreen is *TOO* sensitive, even with the ultra-sensitivity feature turned off. It will go off sometimes when I am just off from the keyboard instead of touching it, causing text messages to result in sloppy typing. Swiping is fine, but sometimes I prefer thumb-typing with the autocorrect on Swiftkey.
- Battery life is not good. The 2600mah battery, which seems great on paper, ends up being torn apart by the screen.
- The screen is *way* too dim in sunlight. It has to be maxed out (resulting in terrible battery life) to even slightly see it on a sunny day.
- I live in an area with poor reception. When I'm down in my basement and wake up in the morning, sometimes I have to reboot the phone or else it won't access my network (even if I drive out into areas with good reception). It can go into a mode where it says there's no signal found, which is odd and very annoying.

The little downsides:
- The camera cannot be customized to have favorite settings side-by-side. I want to be able to switch between panorama, HDR, and automatic quickly without wheeling through the other settings. Often times I'll want an HDR shot, and then I'll want to switch to automatic. Sports mode is also very useful (sometimes automatic doesn't work too well for high motion and sports mode tends to work out well), and it would be nice to have that at easier access.
- The sound settings are all over the place. I can toggle my sound down to vibrate, and then if I open up a game it'll blast at full volume. Having to manually ensure the sound is muted on each setting is a pain.
- The sound issue extends into the alarm clock. If my sound isn't up, my alarm clock won't go off. However, I like going to sleep without sounds going off on me at night.
- The automatic setting for the alarm clock (which can't seem to be changed) is to use an alarm sound which is too melodious and easy to sleep through. This default alarm setting has to be changed manually. So, when I double-click to enter into S-Voice and set my alarm for 7AM, I'd like to be done with it there rather than manually click through my phone to edit that alarm's settings.
- Notifications and alarms turn on the screen, and often leave the screen on until they are dealt with. This is an issue, since batteries die!!
- Certain features just aren't intuitive, and require customization to be all that useful. Some of the customization required can't be done even with apps, so it leaves me with a "highly customizable phone" that isn't really able to be made that convenient in a pinch.
- Boot times aren't absolutely ideal.
- S-Voice could definitely be better, and have more features built in.
- "Drive" mode could use some improvements. It really isn't helpful when driving a lot of the time.
- The signal strength in poor signal areas on the S4 is significantly worse than even cheap blackberries, or any 4S or iPhone 5. Consistently.
- The camera is pretty terrible in low-light shots. The difference between daylight and low-light shots is ridiculous. There isn't a lot in the way of competition as far as night-shots go with a camera-phone, but still!.

Silly picky things:
- I've noticed some glitches when unlocking the phone after turning the screen off while using the camera. Half the screen will do a weird blip thing and then return to normal.
- Where the screen panel meets the metallic-like plastic, dirt can slightly wedge itself in there.
- There could be more unlock effects provided.
- Would be nice to have some darker wallpapers provided. It's hard to find decent wallpapers (saves some battery life).
- Unlocking the phone using a num-pad password requires "ok" to be clicked after entering the code. It should simply unlock automatically once you've entered the correct code, or at least have an option to allow for this.

Personal:
- I've found that a 5-inch screen is slightly too bulky for me. It fits in my pocket, but ideally I might go for something more along the lines of 4.5 inches, or even 4 inches... that's what I'd call ideal.
- The headphones that are included with the phone suck. That's fine. However, they're designed to seal to your ear (which is meant to boost bass and seal out noise), and I'd much prefer a sit-in design which is easier to put in, and can be used with one earpiece in while driving, etc.
The majority of the things you complaint about could be tweaked ..........and the phone would not be so bad...... however, if you feel that way about the S4....return it and get yourself one the fits your needs........ I find these negative comments to be absurd in my opinion ............

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The majority of the things you complaint about could be tweaked ..........and the phone would not be so bad...... however, if you feel that way about the S4....return it and get yourself one the fits your needs........ I find these negative comments to be absurd in my opinion ............

Step into sunlight and tell me how well your screen fairs.

Go out for a day and use your camera throughout the day (as the S4 is advertised to do) and see where your battery gets when you hit the bar or go to a sports game (or just stay out late) and need your battery to live until 5 or 6 in the morning.

Try calling someone and enjoy the 5-second lag time of S-Voice between the command "Call Home" and the response S-Voice gives.

The list goes on, and yet you say these things are "absurd". I never said I don't like the phone. I very clearly stated right away that I enjoy the phone, and this thread was purely to post about things that I don't like about it. If things don't get better, I'll likely look at an iPhone in the future, but for now I'm fine with the phone overall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar