Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Two picture folders named "Download"?

Hi I have the Galaxy S4 and don't know why there are two folders in my gallery, one named "download" and the other "Download". For example, when I download pictures from a text message it seems to go in one but not both folders. Downloads from one particular browser have ended up in both folders.

Folder "download" (external SD) contains:
    • Pictures downloaded from text messages
    • Pictures downloaded from internet
    • Pictures from my old phone's download folder

Folder "Download" (with capital D, device storage) contains:
    • Pictures downloaded from internet and Facebook

Why do text message and internet downloads end up in both folders? (Though no singular photo is in both folders)
    Last edited by Cashews; 06-04-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I wasn't clear enough

Default Re: Two picture folders named "Download"?

Sounds like one folder was created by an app or process. Determine which is the latter and change setiing to use former. Dropbox did same thing to me

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

External SD card? If yes, one is probably on your external SD and the other is on the emulated SD card...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

If one is external SD and the other isn't, then why do both folders have pictures downloaded from the internet and text messages? It seems to be random which folder the download will go to

One is for things you download from the internet, I know when you save pictures from the internet , it creates a Download folder
    The other is probable for Text messages...save a picture from the internet and see which one it saves to, then you will know
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cashews View Post
    If one is external SD and the other isn't, then why do both folders have pictures downloaded from the internet and text messages? It seems to be random which folder the download will go to
    Do they have the same files?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dougltc View Post
    Do they have the same files?
    The folders have none of the same photos, but both have photos downloaded from the internet AND from text messages. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about this, apparently no one has understood that so far.

It's *probably* the "download" folder from the SDCard, and the other from internal storage. Some apps will use the SDCard by default, others will use the Internal storage. There are often ways to change the default, it just depends on which app it is. (I believe the s4 defaults to internal storage for all Internet downloads).

If you want to check for yourself, just install a file manager and browse the folders to find out (or just use the builtin "My Files" app)...

External SDCard: /mnt/extSdcard
    Internal storage: /mnt/sdcard

(Yes, I know it's stupid and confusing that "interal" storage is actually named "sdcard"...I won't get into why that is here)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    It's *probably* the "download" folder from the SDCard, and the other from internal storage. Some apps will use the SDCard by default, others will use the Internal storage. There are often ways to change the default, it just depends on which app it is. (I believe the s4 defaults to internal storage for all Internet downloads).

If you want to check for yourself, just install a file manager and browse the folders to find out (or just use the builtin "My Files" app)...

External SDCard: /mnt/extSdcard
    Internal storage: /mnt/sdcard

(Yes, I know it's stupid and confusing that "interal" storage is actually named "sdcard"...I won't get into why that is here)
    That's very informative, but it still doesn't answer why my internet downloaded photos have gone to both folders (though never both at the same time), without me changing any settings. Am I being clear?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Yes, you are being clear. No one has doubted that, and they are trying their best to help you. As to why, there is no definite answer. Maybe when a certain image is downloaded it is set to follow a certain track, leading it to either internal or external storage, or perhaps it has something to do with file size. That we do not know.

If you go into a file manager and move all of the files over to one of the folders, and delete the empty folder, is it recreated when you download another image? I have had this issue only once before on a device that had a micro sd a long time ago.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Let me try again.

Why do text message and internet downloads end up in both folders? (Though no singular photo is in both folders)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I only asked if I was being clear because no one acknowledged that the same type of downloads end up in both folders. I will try getting rid of one of the folders to see how that works.

Let me try again.

Tough to say...did you use the same browser each time? Did you change any settings? Use different SMS apps? Again, most apps on the S4 will default to internal storage unless otherwise changed in the settings (if the app allows it).

I was trying to help clarify the difference between the folders...but I honestly don't know any reason why any single app would be saving files to both locations randomly as you describe.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

As I stated earlier, it might have something to do with a file path. It is hard to pinpoint a why when the device is not in our hands. Many times we do not know the exact cause of why something is happening, but try to suggest a solution regardless. If it is not a solution you seek, but a reason why, then I fear many here will not be able to help you. Not to say that there isn't someone around who may know the technicalities, but many times odd things happen on a phone without us having done anything to alter settings.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Tough to say...did you use the same browser each time? Did you change any settings? Use different SMS apps? Again, most apps on the S4 will default to internal storage unless otherwise changed in the settings (if the app allows it).

I was trying to help clarify the difference between the folders...but I honestly don't know any reason why any single app would be saving files to both locations randomly as you describe.
    Perhaps it was a different browser, that might be it (I use Chrome and the default browser) but that still doesn't clarify why pics from text messages go to both locations...

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

The folders have none of the same photos, but both have photos downloaded from the internet AND from text messages. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about this, apparently no one has understood that so far.
    Well I didn't understand fully until now.

Here's what likely happened... If you had that same SD card in a previous phone, that phone didn't have an emulated SD card like the S4. So the SD card got populated via the use of that phone. Now when you got your new S4 you popped the SD card in and the directories on the SD card are from the previous phone.

If you download a file manager like Astro, you can look at the time/date stamp of the files on the external SD card and the internal one.

On the S4 that I have, MyFiles7 is the External SD card and MyFiles9 is the internal one.

Hope that helps in some way...