Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default New to S4 (from years of iPhones): quick initial thoughts

I decided to experiment with Android and the S4 after having iPhones since the day they were released. It's only been a couple of days, but my quick initial impressions:

PROS:
    [1] LOVE the bigger screen. No problem using it onehanded or putting it in my pocket. Apple really needs to revisit their screen size
    [2] LOVE that I can choose my preferred apps for browsing, email, SMS, etc. It's ridiculous that on my Mac and can do this, but on the iPhone I cant.
    [3] Customization possibilities are amazing. (See cons).
    [4] Keyboard and text input is VASTLY superior to the iPhone. Love that you can't choose from a number of different possibilities.

CONS:
    [1] Don't like how notifications are displayed. (I know that Android did this before Apple, but Apple definitely improved on the notification panel, making it visually appealing and organized).
    [2] Miss app badges; the gazillion of teeny, tiny white (and frequently obscure) status bar icons are a mess, all crammed together up there.
    [3] I find almost all the motions and gestures that Samsung hails as making the S4 unique are inconsistently deployed, largely gimmicky, and frequently don't work.
    [4] Too many customization options and inconsistencies. Okay, I LIKE being able to customize things, but I do miss the across app/platform consistency that Apple is known for. Definitely makes for a more predictable experience that doesn't change radically depending on what app you happen to be using.

Anyway, just my 2-day old experiences. I'm sure these will change as I get more experience with Android and the S4.

Default Re: New to S4 (from years of iPhones): quick initial thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius1 View Post
    I decided to experiment with Android and the S4 after having iPhones since the day they were released. It's only been a couple of days, but my quick initial impressions:

PROS:
    [1] LOVE the bigger screen. No problem using it onehanded or putting it in my pocket. Apple really needs to revisit their screen size
    [2] LOVE that I can choose my preferred apps for browsing, email, SMS, etc. It's ridiculous that on my Mac and can do this, but on the iPhone I cant.
    [3] Customization possibilities are amazing. (See cons).
    [4] Keyboard and text input is VASTLY superior to the iPhone. Love that you can't choose from a number of different possibilities.

CONS:
    [1] Don't like how notifications are displayed. (I know that Android did this before Apple, but Apple definitely improved on the notification panel, making it visually appealing and organized).
    [2] Miss app badges; the gazillion of teeny, tiny white (and frequently obscure) status bar icons are a mess, all crammed together up there.
    [3] I find almost all the motions and gestures that Samsung hails as making the S4 unique are inconsistently deployed, largely gimmicky, and frequently don't work.
    [4] Too many customization options and inconsistencies. Okay, I LIKE being able to customize things, but I do miss the across app/platform consistency that Apple is known for. Definitely makes for a more predictable experience that doesn't change radically depending on what app you happen to be using.

Anyway, just my 2-day old experiences. I'm sure these will change as I get more experience with Android and the S4.
    Enjoy your S4, you made a great choice.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Enjoy your new S4. I also agree with a few of your cons, after coming from iPhone for years myself.
    As for me everyday gets better & better. BEST switch I ever made, just hang in there!

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4

I don't understand.
    Scanning your previous posts you've been an Android user at least since Dec. 2102 (S3), and even in early 2012 you state you just got a Nexus.
    Many of those posts state the same thing..."...new to Android...this is what I don't like...".
    oh well.
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrawer View Post
    I don't understand.
    Scanning your previous posts you've been an Android user at least since Dec. 2102 (S3), and even in early 2012 you state you just got a Nexus.
    Many of those posts state the same thing..."...new to Android...this is what I don't like...".
    oh well.
    Hmmm, I guess your hanging in there

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4

I'm also confused. You did not know about things like the notification and app badges, or the customization items after owning both a GNex and an S3?? You can't really say you're "trying out Android" after over a year of using it. C'mon....
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

sorry, I wasn't intending to be deceptive.I am a gadget addict and keep coming back to Android to see how things have changed. Obviously, not that much since my last venture.

I may have some more questions, but always appreciate inside that might be different from what I've heard before. didn't mean to violate any Terms of Service or forum etiquette

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    sorry, I wasn't intending to be deceptive.I am a gadget addict and keep coming back to Android to see how things have changed. Obviously, not that much since my last venture.

I may have some more questions, but always appreciate inside that might be different from what I've heard before. didn't mean to violate any Terms of Service or forum etiquette
    Hey, McFly, I thought I told you never to come in here.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Busted.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Yeah, I'm seeing "an iPhone user new to Android" posts back to April 2012.

Someone likes attention I guess? Odd.
    Thanked by 2:

Give the guy a break folks! Hes obviously a devoted Apple user who is 'TRYING' to get into Android! He's been trying with various phones. To me, it says A LOT about how far and what Android is doing to Apples user base. Not all will break free of the matrix but some will try and successfully make it! Argelius, you will ALWAYS be welcomed here!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Give the guy a break folks! Hes obviously a devoted Apple user who is 'TRYING' to get into Android! He's been trying with various phones. To me, it says A LOT about how far and what Android is doing to Apples user base. Not all will break free of the matrix but some will try and successfully make it! Argelius, you will ALWAYS be welcomed here!
    Umm.... How about he just be honest? The title of his post was deceiving. He needs to sort that stuff out of he wants to gain any fans around here.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by 2: