Hello, Im a newbie to this forum but it has helped me a few times when ive done general searches. Ive registered now and I need to ask a question.

My S4 charges normally with its own charger and USB, it charges from my old HTC charger, no problems. Now I've used my old in car charger (used for the HTC) to charge it fine, I brought a solar panel charger for when im fishing over a weekend and the first time the internal battery had been charged by the sun i plugged it into my S4 and it charged it to 100% in about 2 and a half hours. Ive tried to do it again and nothing?? so i thought that the solar battery might npot be charged so in order to test it I plugged my wifes S3 in and bingo it started charging. Ive brought a new in car cradle kit that comes with a small cigarette lighter plug with a USB socket to attach the kits USB cable into. Again it worked one but since hasnt yet does work on my wifes S3?????? because of this I tried my old HTC one in the car which is the old style giant plug in cigarette charger and bingo it charged my phone????. So now im confused, can anyone help with this as Ive spent the last 2 hours looking online at different conflicting problems and solutiions although please bear in mind i'm not electronically minded.

Many Thanks

Luke
    06-05-2013 06:07 AM
    Wow, that does seem odd... It does sound, however, that it might be a hardware issue (as in take-it-in-to-repair-or-get-warranty-replacement). I charge mine with a car charger, an old BlackBerry charger at work, the original charger at Home, and I even use a friend's Moto charger when I'm at his house. I did use a solar-powered battery once but it was crap (the battery, anyway).

So, here's what I'd try frist:

1) Clean the USB port in your phone with a soft, dry brush. Maybe some dirt is interfering.

2) Car USB chargers are usually 0.5A in output power; your original charger is 2A. Try to find a wall charger that's 0.5A and see if THAT works.

I guess only number 1 could help, number 2 is kinda just debugging your problem... In any case, if it continues to fail, I'd better take it to Samsung or your carrier for repair/replacement.
    Wow, that does seem odd... It does sound, however, that it might be a hardware issue (as in take-it-in-to-repair-or-get-warranty-replacement). I charge mine with a car charger, an old BlackBerry charger at work, the original charger at Home, and I even use a friend's Moto charger when I'm at his house. I did use a solar-powered battery once but it was crap (the battery, anyway).

So, here's what I'd try frist:

1) Clean the USB port in your phone with a soft, dry brush. Maybe some dirt is interfering.

2) Car USB chargers are usually 0.5A in output power; your original charger is 2A. Try to find a wall charger that's 0.5A and see if THAT works.

I guess only number 1 could help, number 2 is kinda just debugging your problem... In any case, if it continues to fail, I'd better take it to Samsung or your carrier for repair/replacement.
    06-05-2013 07:50 AM
    My car charger doesnt charge it either. In fact if I plug it in it drains the battery faster. My wife's works though. Maybe try another.
    06-05-2013 09:33 AM
    I have same problem with usb charging in my Sonata. Only with Galaxy S4 but I tried multiple other phones and charging without problems and I using usb port in the car only showing and random blinking connecting to media. All other galaxy phones charging with no issues. I was wondering if there is way to disable media connection and instead charge the battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    06-05-2013 11:32 AM
    Thanks for replying so quickly guy's. The strange thing about the car charger was one works and one doesn't??? and the fact the solar charger did it's job once and hasn't since yet it charges my wifes S3 each time. Is there any difference in power to make a difference in these 2 phones??
    06-05-2013 02:44 PM
    you need to get a 2.0 amp charger if not it will not charge the phone.....search amazon "2 amp galaxy s4 car charger"
    06-05-2013 08:55 PM
    you need to get a 2.0 amp charger if not it will not charge the phone.....search amazon "2 amp galaxy s4 car charger"
    That won't help.

06-05-2013 09:57 PM
    Hi speed is this because there could possibly be something wrong with the actual handset??
    06-07-2013 02:23 AM
    I think it might... I've had issues with the USB port in Samsung phones before, so it wouldn't surprise me. What happened to "Speed13" about it sometimes charging and sometimes wanting to connect to media is exactly how it all began, then S-Voice started popping up on its own until finally it stopped charging. A quick trip to Samsung repair and the phone was fixed.
    06-07-2013 09:37 AM
    My car charger doesnt charge it either. In fact if I plug it in it drains the battery faster. My wife's works though. Maybe try another.
    Most car chargers which are the type you plug a USB cable into will not supply enough amps to the phone. They are keyed to work with the iPhone which is not standard. I went through a few of those 2 amp chargers before figuring that out. Instead I bought a 2 amp charger which has the cable built in. That one works just fine. I'm using an original note which would drain faster than it would charge until I got the new charge.

This is the one I got. It charges both my Note and my wife's iPhone at the same time.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...c-av,av-0,rk-1

Posted via Android Central App
    06-07-2013 09:50 AM
    Hi speed is this because there could possibly be something wrong with the actual handset??
    I have no idea?

06-08-2013 01:03 AM
    Samsung, or at least the S4 is looking for a code on the USB cable attached to your phone. If the charger is official, this code gets sent and your phone will be in fast charge mode. If not, the phone will only get about 350mA of power. That is less than the USB off your computer. Its another way for Samsung to make money. I've tested it. I have 2 unofficial 2Amp 12V chargers and I always get the warning asking me to use the official charger. Its silly. This article explains more.

After digging further, it is the middle 2 wires. D+ and D- must be shorted (connected) and then the phone will think it is an official charger. Found here.
    08-24-2013 11:00 AM
    I've had this same issue!!! My s3 always charged just fine. Only certain chargers work with the s4. For example right now I'm using the white one that came with the phone and I'm LOSING battery. The ONLY chargers that new meet be gave me one issue are the original black HTC chargers that came with my evo. Have had them for years with no issue.
    Gabe Ruiz likes this.
    08-31-2013 08:08 PM
    I'm sorry to come so late to the party, but I want to note that the actual problem may be in the cable. Some micro-USB cables are actually 5-pin cables, and some are 4-pin cables (however many pins they seem to have, only 4 are working). Some of the cheap cables are 5-pin cables; some of the premium cables are 4-pin cables. The fifth pin is a device-identification line, and some devices require that. (Trying a series of 4-pin cables won't resolve this problem.)
    10-27-2013 09:47 PM
    10-27-2013 09:51 PM
    Don't blame the chargers. The usb in my wife's ford escape charges iphones and windows phone just fine. I don't recall having any issue with my htc one x either. It's just this piece o crap S4. Probably from all that junk samsung software that I don't want and can't get rid of.
    09-18-2014 08:23 AM
    Hello, Im a newbie to this forum but it has helped me a few times when ive done general searches. Ive registered now and I need to ask a question.

My S4 charges normally with its own charger and USB, it charges from my old HTC charger, no problems. Now I've used my old in car charger (used for the HTC) to charge it fine, I brought a solar panel charger for when im fishing over a weekend and the first time the internal battery had been charged by the sun i plugged it into my S4 and it charged it to 100% in about 2 and a half hours. Ive tried to do it again and nothing?? so i thought that the solar battery might npot be charged so in order to test it I plugged my wifes S3 in and bingo it started charging. Ive brought a new in car cradle kit that comes with a small cigarette lighter plug with a USB socket to attach the kits USB cable into. Again it worked one but since hasnt yet does work on my wifes S3?????? because of this I tried my old HTC one in the car which is the old style giant plug in cigarette charger and bingo it charged my phone????. So now im confused, can anyone help with this as Ive spent the last 2 hours looking online at different conflicting problems and solutiions although please bear in mind i'm not electronically minded.

Many Thanks

Luke
    It is pretty confusing indeed.. Hope you would have find some solution..I am considering solar charging system but not I will wait for some more time..
    10-14-2014 02:48 AM
    My newly acquired Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 works with only half my chargers, including an HTC. Several cheap USB cables all work fine.
    05-15-2015 04:24 AM
    It's the base. It might be supplying less than 2A. All Galaxies after the S4 need at least 2A.

Verizon S4 using Tapatalk
    05-15-2015 06:47 AM
    That's why the S3 charger base doesn't work with the S4 and newer.

Verizon S4 using Tapatalk
    05-15-2015 06:48 AM
    I have been frustrated with charger problems and here is what I found out! Non Samsung 2.1 Amp chargers will not work with the Samsung White cable! Generic cables will charge the S4 at the normal high speed! USB ports are not powerful enough to provide a high speed charge but they will charge the phone if it is off! You know it is charging with high speed when the lightening bolt is on in the battery Icon at the top of the screen.
    High speed charging can draw about 500 to 600 milliamps and a USB port will charge with about 150 to 200 milliamps.
    There is a signal from the charger to the phone that tells the phone that it is capable of producing the current necessary for high speed charging. This is done with two resistors of a certain value in the charger using the two extra wires in the charging cable. Different cables work with different chargers, look for the lightening bolt! A USB cable extention can cause charging problems too!
    I purchase a small USB amp and volt meter on Ebay for about $6 that tells me for sure the USB port is the right voltage and how much current is charging the battery!
    05-15-2015 10:22 PM
    When I had a HTC smart phone, every time I had a charge issue, it was fixed by replacing the charging/data cable. Try another cable. If the cable connectors get bent or if it has a contact issue, then you may need a new charge/data cable. I keep one in my car and one in my house.

I recommend getting an OTC (over the counter) that will work with about anything. USB 3.0 charge/data cable (if your phone has USB 3.0) for fast charging. As far as I know, these USB 3.0 have a USB micro male type B connector while the USB 2.0 has a USB micro male type A connector. eBay has some good prices. A charger with a 2.1 amp output, will work with any android phone, iPhone, Ipad, Android tablet that uses an USB connector as these devices are generally downward compatible.
    06-17-2015 11:53 AM
    Some chargers do not work with all cables and all chargers do not work with all phones or tablets. Try different combinations and look for the lightning bolt in the battery icon to be sure it is charging at an acceptable rate!
    06-17-2015 04:17 PM

Many Thanks

Luke
    07-21-2015 08:13 PM