Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, you seem to be applying your standard of usage to everyone. There are about 15% of users that do want more than 32 or 64gb models, if no sd slot.

I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.

If you were talking ipods....32 gigs is not much. I think enough people like to be able to store large data. No matter how ideal you opinion is, demand sets production. There will be plenty for all. Can you imagine if one opinion were the way it should be for everyone? That would blow. Why people minimize a product because it isnt available in their precious brand is beyond me. Let it be. It is neat and cool for many users. Lol at this silly thread ans the justification of whatever opinion is next ha ha:p

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you were talking ipods....32 gigs is not much. I think enough people like to be able to store large data. No matter how ideal you opinion is, demand sets production. There will be plenty for all. Can you imagine if one opinion were the way it should be for everyone? That would blow. Why people minimize a product because it isnt available in their precious brand is beyond me. Let it be. It is neat and cool for many users. Lol at this silly thread ans the justification of whatever opinion is next ha ha:p

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Demand determined that they didn't need the 64gb version of the S3....

Plus I didn't post a link to back up what I said. So I probably made it up. I'll do a quick Google Search and post the first link that I find that backs up what I'm saying....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll admit storage is a great thing but I still believe in good device management/maintenance. I get the whole idea of having your media (pics, videos-movies, music) on your device and a healthy handful of apps but same time do we really need to carry around so much media or apps? My wife was all about getting the S3/32 gb version when it came out. She got it, spent the extra $50 and you know what she barely even makes a dent in the total storage. So she could of gotten away with the 16 gb version and been more than happy. Why? Because I kept on her about routine cleaning and maintenance of her device. Same said for my daughter with her iPhone 4, she complains about storage and I tell her do you really need on a daily basis 100-200 apps? Do you need to carry around couple hundred pictures? Hundred or two songs? I explained she has to plug in every night to charge anyways so make use of the sync apps while charging and spend the 5 mins to swap stuff in and out to keep things neat and clean.

I have survived for 2 years now on a NS4G (16 gb) and GNex (32 gb) and even hauling around a few different ROMs, space hogging backups, some music, tons of pics I really don't use up my space to the point of danger or running out.

Of course this is just me, my experience but maybe some should take a better look at how they maintain their devices. Some normal housecleaning of old apps, pics, etc can do wonders for getting back tons of space and keep your device running smooth at the same time.

So yeah, I welcome the apps to sdcard option again and sdcards in general but its not something I " bank " on, even when I used devices that supported sdcards. Not to mention when more onboard/built in storage equals higher cost then I start to rethink my direction too...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit storage is a great thing but I still believe in good device management/maintenance. I get the whole idea of having your media (pics, videos-movies, music) on your device and a healthy handful of apps but same time do we really need to carry around so much media or apps? My wife was all about getting the S3/32 gb version when it came out. She got it, spent the extra $50 and you know what she barely even makes a dent in the total storage. So she could of gotten away with the 16 gb version and been more than happy. Why? Because I kept on her about routine cleaning and maintenance of her device. Same said for my daughter with her iPhone 4, she complains about storage and I tell her do you really need on a daily basis 100-200 apps? Do you need to carry around couple hundred pictures? Hundred or two songs? I explained she has to plug in every night to charge anyways so make use of the sync apps while charging and spend the 5 mins to swap stuff in and out to keep things neat and clean.

I have survived for 2 years now on a NS4G (16 gb) and GNex (32 gb) and even hauling around a few different ROMs, space hogging backups, some music, tons of pics I really don't use up my space to the point of danger or running out.

Of course this is just me, my experience but maybe some should take a better look at how they maintain their devices. Some normal housecleaning of old apps, pics, etc can do wonders for getting back tons of space and keep your device running smooth at the same time.

So yeah, I welcome the apps to sdcard option again and sdcards in general but its not something I " bank " on, even when I used devices that supported sdcards. Not to mention when more onboard/built in storage equals higher cost then I start to rethink my direction too...

Yay for being proactive! Of course we don't have to have 100% of all the media we've ever seen physically in our pocket, and we don't have to stream 100% of the media we do view from the cloud. There is a balance, and a little bit of thinking makes these restrictions incredibly easy to manage for most people. Those people that have extreme cases, obviously require more proactive planning or a different device selection.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I agree with that only when it comes to pictures, because now we have cloud storage and that would be easier to free up space though...I have put a lot of my pictures on DropBox so I can surely free some space off my SD Card

I would have to disagree when it comes to music though. This could be subjective though because I am a music head, I love music
Of course I wouldnt put ALL my music on my phone (I have a LOT of music), but I wouldnt put just 4-5 albums. Believe it or not, I have 137 albums on my phone, and YES I listen to all of them (love shuffle mode)...this is where an SD Card is key for me...it would mean easy transfers from one device to another, and easier to organize on my SD Card than on my phone, and also doesn't force me to delete some music a like just to save space for apps

Pretty much it depends on the person, but I am just glad there are choices of phones with SD Card and some without...I'll be damned if every Android phone was to be without an SD Card (or removable battery, but thats another topic)

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
But yes, we could figure out ways to get by with less onboard storage. Which means giving up something. Either what we like having available, or the cost of a bigger data plan.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just dont see why 128G SD is not supported. Maybe when they run out of old 16G, 32G.

composed by my imaginary construct for you.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think we might see other efforts considering sales are not as expected with the S4. I posted in the forum about a WSJ article today. I am hoping this means Verizon will feel compelled to offer a 32GB, since even stores are noting the storage space is a noted point of concern with buyers and the apparent fix is a minor help for the apps that actually take up a lot of space.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with that only when it comes to pictures, because now we have cloud storage and that would be easier to free up space though...I have put a lot of my pictures on DropBox so I can surely free some space off my SD Card
Yes Dropbox is a huge plus for pictures or Photobucket. I use both constantly for my personal needs and stuff I share in the forums either public or moderator related. Not to mention kudo's to Dropbox & Photobucket for making such good apps that integrate very well with Android.

I would have to disagree when it comes to music though. This could be subjective though because I am a music head, I love music
Of course I wouldnt put ALL my music on my phone (I have a LOT of music), but I wouldnt put just 4-5 albums. Believe it or not, I have 137 albums on my phone, and YES I listen to all of them (love shuffle mode)...this is where an SD Card is key for me...it would mean easy transfers from one device to another, and easier to organize on my SD Card than on my phone, and also doesn't force me to delete some music a like just to save space for apps
Yeah I agree too.. There are people that love their music and well you should darn it! Music is awesome, and that is the hard part to balance with making storage work either built in or sdcard.

When it comes to argument (not referring to you or anyone else specifically) of movies or video I just can't justify that as a " MUST HAVE " for my mobile device. There are other options available in this area like various paid/free music/video streaming services that seem more viable than using up my device space to haul around my movie collection.

Again.. Everyone's usage and habits/lifestyles may vary so that is WHY options are GOOD. :D

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes Dropbox is a huge plus for pictures or Photobucket. I use both constantly for my personal needs and stuff I share in the forums either public or moderator related. Not to mention kudo's to Dropbox & Photobucket for making such good apps that integrate very well with Android.

Yeah I agree too.. There are people that love their music and well you should darn it! Music is awesome, and that is the hard part to balance with making storage work either built in or sdcard.

When it comes to argument (not referring to you or anyone else specifically) of movies or video I just can't justify that as a " MUST HAVE " for my mobile device. There are other options available in this area like various paid/free music/video streaming services that seem more viable than using up my device space to haul around my movie collection.

Again.. Everyone's usage and habits/lifestyles may vary so that is WHY options are GOOD. :D

Yup agreed with Movies...I personally prefer to watch movies on my TV Screen via my PS3 or my PC...I don't think I would ever save movies on my phone, and if I do, only 1 or 2 at the most, then I'd probably delete them when I am finished

Con Georgiadis

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I have installed the update.
Yes there is an option to move apps to sd card but only the apk not the data.
For example, you have Asphalt 7 which is about 1.7Gb.
If you choose the option "move to sd" only the apk will be transfered.
the data will remain on internal memory.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Really? Wow thats pretty dumb
I heard the camera was different...hows that??

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

When you moved Apks how much memory did you gain?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Something to add here. I did not buy my S4 directly from ATT I went through Target Mobile. I had asked their district manager, why is it that they don't carry any of the 32gb version of these phones in stock.

She said there is no demand for it. That I will probably be the only person who has asked in her district this year(Several Target Mobile stores). Those of us who want more storage space really are in the minority. If I didn't have such a good relationship with this company I probably would have gone somewhere else.

I am hoping that soon, maybe next year, Samsung makes the 32gb the baseline. I know the difference in storage cost is insignificant, but this was an eye opener.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Something to add here. I did not buy my S4 directly from ATT I went through Target Mobile. I had asked their district manager, why is it that they don't carry any of the 32gb version of these phones in stock.

She said there is no demand for it. That I will probably be the only person who has asked in her district this year(Several Target Mobile stores). Those of us who want more storage space really are in the minority. If I didn't have such a good relationship with this company I probably would have gone somewhere else.

I am hoping that soon, maybe next year, Samsung makes the 32gb the baseline. I know the difference in storage cost is insignificant, but this was an eye opener.

My guess is that people who buy their phones from retail outlets rather than carriers aren't that savvy when it comes to technical details. I am not including you FarishK I know from you posts that you are very knowledgeable about the technical details of smartphones. But if you read the posts here you will see posters talking about contacting ATT or Sprint about when the 32 GB phone will be available. I don't see anyone (no I don't read every post but I read the majority of them about the S4) contacting Walmart or Radio Shack to ask about the 32 GB phones.

My point is, I wouldn't be surprised that a retail store rep said their wasn't a demand for 32 GB phones. In his or her business there probably isn't. But I'd bet that ATT was getting inundated with queries about the 32 GB before it was released.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
All of a sudden now right. What about 1, 2+ years ago?!?! Too little to late, for me personally. Samsung has been giving 'ME' what I expect from my device from years now. Thats why I stick with them. The day they don't provide me with what I expect is the day I start looking for another manufacturer.

This is why apple sell so many still - misplaced brand loyalty! Just get whatever manufacturer makes the best device at the time of upgrade, whoever makes it! They honestly don't give a **** about us as individuals....

Sent from my HTC One

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is why apple sell so many still - misplaced brand loyalty! Just get whatever manufacturer makes the best device at the time of upgrade, whoever makes it! They honestly don't give a **** about us as individuals....

Sent from my HTC One

Except that 'best' is a very subjective term that will vary from person to person. Ultimately, different people look for different things in a phone, and the phone with the most features doesn't necessarily mean it is the best phone. For example, I personally don't care for sd-cards, nfc or wireless charging, widgets or live wallpaper simply because I don't see the point in them, so I am not really bothered that the S3/S4 gets them while my 4s didn't.

I don't think it is about misplaced brand loyalty. Like you said, it's really about choosing a device which best suits the individual's specific needs, and I believe the iphone continues to meet the needs of many a consumer just fine. :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that people who buy their phones from retail outlets rather than carriers aren't that savvy when it comes to technical details. I am not including you FarishK I know from you posts that you are very knowledgeable about the technical details of smartphones. But if you read the posts here you will see posters talking about contacting ATT or Sprint about when the 32 GB phone will be available. I don't see anyone (no I don't read every post but I read the majority of them about the S4) contacting Walmart or Radio Shack to ask about the 32 GB phones.

My point is, I wouldn't be surprised that a retail store rep said their wasn't a demand for 32 GB phones. In his or her business there probably isn't. But I'd bet that ATT was getting inundated with queries about the 32 GB before it was released.

Correct, but unlike other carriers, At&t had already apparently secured the only allocation of 32gb Qualcomm versions on the planet. Based on sales results, we see what Samsung's channel flooding has yielded them. Not what they expected. Sure, 32gb would have only helped sales by ten percent or so, but they loaded way too many devices too soon due to their focus on keeping it simple with 16gb models.

Still, that extra ten percent of sell through of 32gb models would have made their numbers look better.